Conflans-Sainte-Honorine ([kɔ̃.flɑ̃.sɛ̃t‿ɔ.nɔ.ʁin]) is a commune in the Yvelines department in the Île-de-France region in north-central France. It is located in the northwestern suburbs of Paris, 24.2 km (15.0 mi) from the center of Paris.
The historic center of Conflans-Sainte-Honorine
Location (in red) within Paris inner and outer suburbs
|Intercommunality||CU Grand Paris Seine et Oise|
|• Mayor (2020–2026)||Laurent Brosse|
|9.9 km2 (3.8 sq mi)|
|• Density||3,600/km2 (9,300/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Elevation||17–60 m (56–197 ft) |
(avg. 25 m or 82 ft)
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
The commune was originally named for its geographic position at the confluence of the Seine and Oise rivers. The village was given the addition "Sainte Honorine" in the 13th century after the female Saint Honorina, whose relics had been kept there since AD 876.
Partly on account of its strategic position, Conflans-Sainte-Honorine is considered the capital of the French inland waterways, and the right bank of the river Seine is still lined with barges (although these are now used mainly as houseboats). Every year in June, the town celebrates the Pardon national de la batellerie in remembrance of its former importance to inland shipping.
|Source: EHESS and INSEE (1968-2017)|
- École élémentaire Chennevières
- École élémentaire Clos-d’en-Haut
- École élémentaire Côtes-Reverses
- École élémentaire Gaston-Rousset
- École élémentaire Grandes-Terres
- École élémentaire Henri-Dunant
- École élémentaire Paul-Bert
The médiathèque Blaise-Cendrars has digital documents and multimedia services.
Samuel Paty, a middle school teacher at Collège du Bois d'Aulne in Conflans-Sainte-Honorine, was killed and beheaded in 2020 in an Islamist terrorist attack.
Parks and recreationEdit
Centre aquatique de Conflans has the town's pool.
- Charb (1967–2015), satirical caricaturist and journalist, was born in Conflans
- Samuel Coco-Viloin (born 1987), track and field athlete
- Gérard Genette (1930–2018), literary critic and theorist of literature, spent part of his childhood there
- Jean-Paul Huchon, president of the regional council for Île-de-France, Socialist party, former mayor of Conflans (1994–2001)
- Michel Rocard (1930–2016), French prime minister (1988–1991), Socialist party, mayor of Conflans (1977–1994)
- Nicolas Roche (born 1984), Irish professional cyclist, was born here
- Nicolas Szerszen, volleyball player at Ohio State University. AVCA national Player of the Year (2016). NCAA tournament Most Outstanding Player (2017).
Twin towns – sister citiesEdit
Conflans-Sainte-Honorine is twinned with:
- "Répertoire national des élus: les maires". data.gouv.fr, Plateforme ouverte des données publiques françaises (in French). 2 December 2020. Retrieved 12 December 2020.
- "Populations légales 2018". INSEE. 28 December 2020.
- Des villages de Cassini aux communes d'aujourd'hui: Commune data sheet Conflans-Sainte-Honorine, EHESS. (in French)
- Population en historique depuis 1968, INSEE
- "Écoles." Conflans-Sainte-Honorine. Retrieved on September 2, 2016.
- "Médiathèque Blaise-Cendrars." Conflans-Sainte-Honorine. Retrieved on September 2, 2016.
- "Centre aquatique." Conflans-Sainte-Honorine. Retrieved on September 2, 2016.
- "Jumelage et coopération". conflans-sainte-honorine.fr (in French). Conflans-Sainte-Honorine. Retrieved 2019-11-20.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Conflans-Sainte-Honorine.|