Avani Lekhara (born 8 November 2001) is an Indian Paralympian and rifle shooter. She won a gold medal in 10m air rifle standing and a bronze medal in 50m air rifle standing at Tokyo 2020 Paralympics. Lekhara is currently World No 5 in Women's 10m Air Rifle standing SH1 (World Shooting Para Sport Rankings) and has competed in the 2018 Asian Para Games. She has been supported by GoSports Foundation through the Para Champions Programme. She is also the first Indian woman to win multiple medals in a single Paralympic Games. She has been given out of turn appointment as Assistant Conservator of Forest (ACF) by the Government of Rajasthan.
|Full name||Avani Lekhara|
|Born||8 November 2001|
Jaipur, Rajasthan, India
|Height||5 ft 3 in (160 cm)|
|Event(s)||Air Rifle SH1|
|Coached by||Suma Siddharth Shirur|
|Achievements and titles|
|Paralympic finals||2020 Summer Paralympics: 10m air rifle standing SH1 – Gold|
Lekhara is the first Indian woman to win a Paralympic gold medal. Lekhara also won India's first gold medal at the 2020 Summer Paralympics. With a score of 249.6 points in the final event, the young shooter set a Paralympic record and tied the world record. She began shooting in 2015, inspired by former Olympic champion Abhinav Bindra and has since won several national and international titles. On 3 September 2021, she became the first Indian female Paralympian to win two medals in Paralympics history after claiming bronze in women's 50m air rifle standing event.
She is currently coached by Indian shooter Suma Shirur.
A car accident in 2012, at the age of 11, left her with complete paraplegia. Her father encouraged her to join sports, training in archery but moving to shooting in which she found her true passion. She currently studies law in Rajasthan, India.
- Tokyo Paralympics: Avani Lekhara wins gold medal in shooting event Hindustan Times. Retrieved 30 August 2021
- "World Shooting Para Sport Rankings / Official World Rankings 2021". World Shooting Para Sport.
- "Para shooter Avani Lekhara clinches silver; India stay in top three". Indian Express News.
- "Avani Lekhara". The Bridge News.
- "Para World Cup: Teenage shooter Avani Lekhara wins 10m air rifle silver". Time of India News.
- "Avani Lekhara wins women's 10m air rifle silver medal at World Shooting Para Sport World Cup". Firstpost News.
- "Improvise, adapt, overcome: Indian para athletes' mantra for beating lockdown". ESPN. 2020-04-19. Retrieved 2021-08-30.
- "Avani Lekhara becomes first Indian woman to win multiple medals at Paralympics". ESPN. 2021-09-03. Retrieved 2021-09-03.
- "News Detail". dipr.rajasthan.gov.in. Retrieved 2021-09-11.
- "Truly special moment: India celebrates Avani Lekhara, the golden girl at Tokyo Paralympics". India Today. 30 August 2021. Retrieved 30 August 2021.
- "Shooter Avani Lekhara becomes first Indian woman to win gold at Paralympics". The Hindu. Press Trust of India. 30 August 2021. Retrieved 30 August 2021.
- Haq, Sana Noor. "Avani Lekhara becomes first Indian woman to win Paralympic gold". CNN. Retrieved 2021-09-03.
- "Shooting athlete Avani Lekhara enters history books with gold". International Paralympic Committee. Retrieved 2021-09-03.
- "India's first woman Paralympic gold medallist Avani Lekhara inspired by Abhinav Bindra's autobiography". The Indian Express. 2021-08-30. Retrieved 2021-08-31.
- "Shooter Avani Lekhara scripts history, becomes first Indian woman to win two Paralympics medals". Olympics.com. Retrieved 2021-09-03.
- "Avani Lekhara becomes first Indian woman to win 2 Paralympic medals". The Times of India. September 3, 2021. Retrieved 2021-09-03.
- "Tokyo Paralympic 2020: Avani Lekhara wins historic gold for India in shooting". BBC News. 2021-08-30. Retrieved 2021-08-30.