Asmik Grigorian in 2010
|Born||May 12, 1981|
|Occupation(s)||Opera singer (soprano)|
Life and careerEdit
In 1999, Asmik Grigorian graduated from National M. K. Čiurlionis School of Art in Vilnius. She studied music at the Lithuanian Academy of Music and Theatre and graduated from it with a master's degree in 2006. Grigorian debuted in Lithuania, later performed at the Latvian National Opera and the Mariinsky Theater. She is a founding member of Vilnius City Opera and the recipient of the highest Lithuanian theatre award, the Golden Stage Cross twice, in 2005 and 2010.
Since 2011, Grigorian performed in various opera houses on the international stage. She was first noted in operas by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky, performing leading roles, such as Nastasya in The Enchantress at the Theater an der Wien in September 2014 and as Tatiana in Eugene Onegin at the Komische Oper Berlin in 2016.
In May 2016, Grigorian was honoured at the International Opera Awards in London as the Best Newcomer ("Young Female Singer"). In December 2016 she performed at the Royal Swedish Opera in the premiere of the opera Fedora by Umberto Giordano in the title role. In her debut at the Salzburg Festival in August 2017, she sang the role of Marie in Alban Berg's opera Wozzeck to critical acclaim. Grigorian was praised as a "superb musician, with deep understanding of Bergian vocal style".
From 2000 to 2007 she was married to the opera soloist Giedrius Žalys (b. 1969) (in 2002 she gave birth to a son). In July 2015, she married a Russian theater director Vasily Barkhatov (b. 1983) and gave birth to a daughter (b. 2016).
Her brother, Vartan Grigorian, is a conductor.
- "Asmik Griorian", Mariinsky Theater web site
- "Gegam Grigorian, opera singer - obituary", The Daily Telegraph
- Rezension zu Charodeyka am Theater an der Wien, Tiroler Tageszeitung, Mo, 15.09.2014
- Rezension zu Eugen Onegin an der Komischen Oper Berlin, Kieler Nachrichten, 3. Feb. 2016
- Premierenkritik Eugen Onegin an der Komischen Oper Berlin. In: Der Neue Merker, Wien
- Preisträgerliste der International Opera Awards 2016
- Laura Servidei (2016-12-12). "Asmik Grigorian a heartfelt lead in Fedora, framed by Christof Loy in Stockholm". Backtrack. Retrieved 2017-01-31.
- Jochen Rüth (2016-12-11). "Umberto Giordanos FEDORA - Premiere am 10.12.2016 - Packende Leidenschaft" (in German). Der Opernfreund (Zeitschrift). Retrieved 2016-12-13.
- Christoph Irrgeher (2017-08-09). "Unter Mörderpuppen - Salzburger Festspiele: Alban Bergs "Wozzeck" als Vorspiel zum Ersten Weltkrieg" (in German). Wiener Zeitung. Retrieved 2017-08-09.
- "Salzburger Festspiele - Helle Begeisterung für düsteren "Wozzeck"" (in German). Kleine Zeitung. 2017-08-09. Retrieved 2017-08-09.
- "A stupendous, faith-restoring production - Wozzeck, Salzburg Festival, review", The Daily Telegraph
- "Eugene Onegin". Edinburgh International Festival. 2019-05-21. Retrieved 2019-05-22.
- A. Grigorian ir V. Barchatovas susilaukė kūdikio
- "Lithuanian wins best singer at International Opera Awards". Lrt.lt (in Lithuanian). 30 April 2019. Retrieved 12 November 2019.