Ashok Saraf (born 4 June 1947) is an Indian film and stage actor and comedian. He has appeared in many Marathi language films and stage plays in lead roles and in Hindi language films and TV serials in supporting roles. He received five Filmfare Awards, Maharashtra government award for the film Pandu Havaldar, Screen Award for Sawai Havaldar, Bhojpuri Film Award for Maika Bitua, ten state government awards for Marathi films and Best Comedian in Maharashtracha Favorite Kon.
|Years active||1969 – present|
From the early 1980s, Saraf started getting cast as the leading hero in Marathi films. The combination of Ashok Saraf, Laxmikant Berde, Sachin Pilgaonkar and Mahesh Kothare created the "comedy films wave" in Marathi cinema from 1985 that lasted for more than a decade. His successful Marathi films as the lead hero include Ek Daav Bhutacha, Dhoom Dhadaka, Gammat Jammat, Ashi hi Banava Banavi and Vazir. Saraf has also starred in television serials like Yeh Choti Badi Baatein and Hum Paanch (as Anand Mathur).
In Bollywood, he is best remembered for the comic "Munshiji" in Rakesh Roshan's 1995 action thriller Karan Arjun, in Yes Boss as Shah Rukh Khan's friend and as Ajay Devgn's colleague in Singham as head constable. In the Marathi film industry, he is popularly known as "Mama" (maternal uncle).
Saraf was born in Bombay (present day Mumbai) on 4 June 1947. He was named "Ashok" after veteran actor Ashok Kumar. He spent his childhood at Chikhalwadi in South Mumbai. He completed his schooling at DGT Vidyalay Mumbai.
Saraf has been working in the film and television industry since the year 1969. He has acted in more than 250 Marathi films, out of which more than 100 were commercially successful. He has mostly acted in comedy films. He has played many roles in Marathi cinema, Marathi plays, Hindi cinema, Marathi television serials and Hindi television serials. He started his career with the Marathi movie Janaki in 1969. He then acted in the films like Donhi Gharacha Pahuna, Jawal Ye Laju Nako, Tumacha Amacha Jamala, Chimanrao Gundyabhau, Deed Shahane, Haldikunku, Duniya Kari Salam and more during the 1970s and 1980s. He continued to work in Marathi films with Laxmikant Berde, Sachin and Mahesh Kothare. The Marathi films moved in to a different term of comedy during that phase. Ashi Hi Banava Banavi, Aayatya Gharat Gharoba, Balache Baap Bramhachari, Bhootacha Bhau and Dhum Dhadaka are some of the notable Marathi films in which Saraf acted.
Marathi film careerEdit
Ashok Saraf had success pairing with Laxmikant Berde, another comedian from Marathi cinema who has also acted in many Hindi films. With Saraf, Sachin Pilgaonkar and Laxmikant Berde, together they played many Marathi films and most films were super-hits. Both Laxmikant and Ashok were known to be good friends of actor-director Sachin Pilgaonkar and actor-producer-director Mahesh Kothare. He tasted major success in Ashi Hi Banwa Banwi (1988), in the lead role with the two reigning superstars of Marathi cinema, Sachin Pilgaonkar and Laxmikant Berde. The movie was a runaway hit.
Hindi film careerEdit
Saraf played important roles in Bollywood. Some of the roles which are remembered are from the films Singham, Pyaar Kiya To Darna Kya, Gupt, Koyla, Yes Boss , Joru Ka Gulaam and Karan Arjun. His performance in films against powerful comedy actors like Govinda, Johny Lever and Kader Khan was praised.
Hindi television serialsEdit
Saraf has also starred in television serials like Yeh Choti Badi Baatein and Hum Paanch (as Anand Mathur), which tasted a major success. Ashok Saraf's comedy show Don't Worry Ho Jayega which was at that time telecast on Sahara TV was very popular in the 1990s. Audiences were very excited to watch this show at that time.
Marathi play careerEdit
Saraf has played number of roles in Marathi plays in his career. Some of the important plays are Hamidabaichi Kothi, Anidhikrut, Manomilan, He Ram Cardiogram, Darling Darling, Sarkha Chatit Dukhtay and Laginghai , Vacuum Cleaner .
Awards and recognitionsEdit
- 1977 - first Filmfare award for Ram Ram Gangaram. In total, 5 Filmfare awards
- Maharashtra government award for the movie Pandu Havaldar
- Screen award for the movie Sawai Havaldar
- Bhojpuri film award for Maika Bitua
- 10 State government awards for Marathi films
- Best Comedian in Maharashtracha Favorite Kon?
He is married to actress Nivedita Joshi-Saraf in 1990. They married at the Mangueshi Temple in Goa, where Saraf's family is originally from. They have a son named Aniket Saraf who is a chef.
- Qatal E Aam (2005)
- Kyaa Dil Ne Kahaa (2002) as Mr. Patel
- Kuch Tum Kaho Kuch Hum Kahein (2002) as Govind
- Ittefaq (2001) as Shambhu Shikari
- Inteqam (2001) as Murli (Watchman)
- Jodi No.1 (2001) as Ashok Rai
- Aashiq (2001) as Constable
- Afsana Dilwalon Ka (2001) as Pyarebhai
- Joru Ka Ghulam (2000) .... P.K. Girpade
- Beti No. 1 (2000) .... Ram Bhatnagar
- Khoobsurat (1999) .... Mahesh Chaudhary (Gambler)
- Pyar Kiya To Darna Kya (1998) as Tadkalal
- Bandhan (1998) .... Chillu
- Koi Kisi Se Kum Nahin (1997)
- Yes Boss (1997) as Johnny
- Gupt: The Hidden Truth (1997) as Havaldar Pandu
- Judge Mujrim (1997) as PA Natwar
- Koyla (1997) as Vedji
- Aisi Bhi Kya Jaldi Hai (1996) .... Dr. Avinash
- Army (1996 film)... Pascal
- Guddu (1995) as Baliya
- Aazmayish (1995) as Roshanlal
- Jamla Ho Jamla (1995)
- Karan Arjun (1995) as Munshiji
- Karan (1994 film)
- Nazar Ke Samne (1994) as Mamu
- Sangdil Sanam (1994) as Bhalchander a.k.a. Sangdil Sanam: The Heartless Lover (USA: DVD box title)
- Aa Gale Lag Jaa (1994) as Dhaniram
- Dil Hai Betaab (1993) as Vikram's employee
- Prem Deewane (1992) .... Shomu
- Sarphira (1992)
- Meera Ka Mohan (1992)
- Jagruti (1992) as Sevalal
- I Love You (1992)
- Naseebwaala (1992) as Gangaram Lalwani
- Benaam Badsha (1991) as Vinay Chandra Rathod a.k.a. VCR
- Yaara Dildara (1991)
- Chor Pe Mor (1990)
- Bade Ghar Ki Beti (1989) .... Kasturi
- Garibon Ka Daata (1989)
- Ghar Ghar Ki Kahani (1988) as Lallu Ram
- Pratighaat (1987) as Crooked Lawyer a.k.a. The Revenge
- Muddat (1986) as Narayan a.k.a. Ages
- Maa Beti (1986)
- Ghar Dwaar (1985) as Bahadur
- Phulwari (1984 film) as Rickshaw driver
- Abodh (1984) as Hanuman (Shankar's friend)
- Nagin (1981)
- Duniya Kari Salam (1979) as Shivanand
- Meri Biwi Ki Shaadi (1979) as Advocate Venkat Vyas
- Damaad (1978)
- Prawaas (2020) as Abhijat Inamdar
- Vrundavan as supporting role
- Aandhali Koshimbir (2014) as Bapu Sadavarte
- Ekulti Ek (2013)
- Kunasathi Kunitari (2011) ....
- Pakda Pakdi (2011) ....
- Ideachi Kalpana (2010) ....
- Most Wanted (2010 film)
- Tata Birla Ani Laila (2010)... Birla
- Aika Dajiba (2010) ....
- Master Eke Master (2009) ....
- Nishani Daava Angatha (2009) ....
- Hastil Tyache Daat Distil (2009) ....
- Balirajache Rajya Yeu De (2009) ....
- Gosht Lagnanantarchi (2009) ....
- Ek Daav Dhobi Pachhad (2008)
- Adala Badali (2008) .... Chandu
- Aaba Zindabad (2008)
- Baba Lagin (2008)
- Anolkhi Hey Ghar Maze (2008) .... Mr. Deshmukh
- Amhi Satpute (2008) .... Mamanji
- Saade Maade Teen (2008) .... Ratan
- Sakkha Bhau Pakka Vairi (2008)
- Chalu Navra Bholi Bayko (2008)
- Ek Unad Divas (2005)...Mr.Vishwas Dabholkar
- Sakhi (film) (2007)
- Mi Nahi Ho Tyatla (2007)
- Karayla Gelo Ek (2007)
- Lapun Chapun (2007)
- Pahili Sher Dusri Savvasher Navara Pavsher (2006)
- Devaa Shapath Khota Saangen Khara Saangnaar Naahi (2006)
- Shubhmangal Savadhan (2006)
- Kalubaichya Navane Changbhal (2006)
- Akhand Saubhagywati (2006)
- Soon Laadki Saasarachi (2005)
- Saval Majhya Premacha (2005)
- Aai No. 1 (2005)
- Thoda Tum Badlo Thoda Hum (2004) ....
- Navra Maza Navsacha (2004) ....
- Sanshay Kallol (2004) ....
- Fukat Chambu Baburao (2004)
- Saglikade Bombabomb (2003)
- Bhajiwali Sakhu Havaldar Bhiku (2000)
- Bhakti Heech Khari Shakti (2000)
- Saubhagyadan (2000) ....
- Bhasma (1999) .... Masanjogi
- Kunku (1997)
- Bal Bramhachari (1996) .... Pyare Mohan
- Gehra Raaz (1996)
- Maaya Mamata (1996)
- Topi Var Topi (1995)
- Dhamal Jodi (1995)
- Painjan (1995)
- Sukhi Sansarachi 12 Sutre (1995)
- Vazir (1994)
- Sasar Maaher (1994)
- Ghayaal (1993)
- Aaplee Maanse (1993)
- Lapandav (1993).....Abheejit Samarth
- Wajva Re Wajva (1993).... Uttam Tople
- Tu Sukhakarta (1993)
- Premankur (1993)
- Wat Pahate Punvechi (1993)
- Shubh Mangal Savdhan (1992)
- Aikaav Te Nawalach (1992)
- Than Than Gopala (1992)
- Dhar Pakad (1992)
- Zhunj Tujhi Majhi (1992)
- Aayatya Gharat Gharoba (1991) ....(fake) Gopal Kirthikar a.k.a. Gopukaka
- Aflatoon (1991) .... Bajarang Rav
- Chaukat Raja (1991) Gana
- Godi Gulabi (1991)
- Jasa Baap Tashi Poore (1991) .... Raja
- Mumbai Te Mauritius (1991) .... Prem Ladku a.k.a. Bombay to Mauritius (International: English title)
- Anapekshit (1991) .... Uttam Rao Pawar
- Balidaan (1991)
- Thamb Thamb Jau Nako Lamb (1990)
- Ina Mina Dika (1990) .... Mina
- Shejari Shejari (1990) .... Keshav Kulkarni
- Amchya Sarkhe Aamhich (1990) .... Abhay/Kailas
- Dhamal Bablya Ganpyachi (1990)
- Tuzhi Mazhi Jamli Jodi (1990) a.k.a. We Are Life Partners
- Eka Peksha Ek (1990)
- Ghanchakkar (1990)
- Ejaa Beeja Teeja (1990)
- Pheka Pheki (1989)
- Baapre Baap (1990)
- Tiyya (1990)
- Dharla Tar Chavatay (1989)
- Savla Maroti (1989)
- Atmavishwas (1989) .... Vijay Jhende
- Balache Baap Brahmachari (1989) .... Vilas T V Wale
- Bhutacha Bhau (1989)
- Maalmasala (1989)
- Ek Gadi Baaki Anadi (1989)
- Kalat Nakalat (1989)
- Nawara Bayako (1989)
- Madhu Chandrachi Ratra (1989)
- Aaghat (1989)
- Ashi Hi Banwa Banwi (1988) .... Dhananjay Mane
- Aurat Teri Yehi Kahani (1988) .... Bhagwan Singh
- Changu Mangu (1988) .... Changu/Ayappa
- Maza Pati Karodpati (1988) .... Dinkar Luktuke a.k.a. My Husband Is a Millionaire (International: English title)
- Saglikade Bombabomb (1988)
- Disata Tas Nasata (1988)
- Mamla Poricha (1988)
- Pandharichi Vari (1988)
- Shiv Shakti (1988)
- Anandi Anand (1987)
- Chhakke Panje (1987) .... Ashok
- Gammat Jammat (1987) .... Phalgun
- Prem Karuya Khullam Khulla (1987) .... Bajarang
- Premasathi Vattel Te (1987)
- Gadbad Ghotala (1986) .... Hemant 'Hemu' Dhole a.k.a. Everything in Chaos
- Tuzya Vachun Karmena (1986)
- Khara Varasdar (1986)
- Dhoom Dhadaka (1985) .... Ashok Gupchup
- Gaon Tasa Changla Pan Veshila Tangla (1985)
- Khichadi (1985)
- Sagge Soyare (1985)
- Ek Daav Bhutacha (1984) .... Mavala Bhut khandoji farjand
- Sasu varchadh Jawai (1984)
- BinKamacha Navara (1984)..... Tukaram/Tukya
- Gosht Dhamal Namyachi (1984).... Namdev/Namya
- Hech Mazha Maher (1984)..... Kammana
- Navari Mile Navryala (1984) .... Baalasaheb Inamdar a.k.a. The Boy Gets a Bride (International: English title)
- Bahuroopi (1984)....Bahurupi
- Chawhata (1984)
- Kulswamini Ambabai (1984)
- Zakhmi Waghin (1984)
- Gulchaadi (1984)
- Jugalbandi (1984)
- Savvasher (1984)
- Thakas Mahathak (1984)
- Baiko Asavi Ashi (1983)
- Gupchup Gupchup (1983) .... Prof. Dhond
- Raghu Maina (1983)
- Kashala Udyachi Baat (1983)
- Galli Te Dilli (1982)
- Don Baika Fajiti Aika (1982)
- Maibaap (1982)
- Savitrichi Sun (1982)
- Ek Daav Bhutacha (1982)
- Aapalech Daat Aapalech Oth (1982)
- Bhannat Bhanu (1982)
- Daivat (1982)
- Gondhalat Gondhal (1981) .... Madan
- Sundara Satarkar (1981)
- Are Sansar Sansar (1981)
- Govinda Aala Re Aala (1981)
- Mosmabi Narangi (1981)
- Choravar Mor (1980)
- Phatakadi (1980)
- Sulavarchi Poli (1980)
- Hich Khari Daulat (1980)
- Sawaj (1980)
- Saubhagwan (1980)
- Sharan Tula Bhagwanta (1980)
- Paijecha Vida (1979)
- Chimanrao Gundyabhau (1979)
- Haldikunku (1979)
- Bailaveda (1979)
- Deed Shahane (1979)
- Sasurvashin (1978)
- Gyanabachi Mekh (1979)
- Sushila (1978)
- Ram Ram Gangaram (1977).....Mhamdu Khatik
- Navara Maja Bramhmachari (1977)
- Jawal Ye Laju Nako (1976)
- Tumacha Amacha Jamala (1976)
- Pandu Hawaldar (1975)
- Varat (1975)
- Pandoba Poragi Phasali (1975)
- Aalay Tufan Darayala (1973)
- Donhi Gharcha Pahuna (1971)
- Janaki (1969)
Marathi Natak (Drama)Edit
- Lagin Ghaai
- Bandu Aani Batate Pohe – Hasavnyasaathi Janama Apula
- Sarkh Chatit Dukhtay (2010)
- Prema Tuza Rang Kasa
- Zala Ekdach
- Vacuum Cleaner
- Sangeet Sanshay Kallol
- Hasat Khelat (2007)
- Sangeet Sanshay kallol
- Ek Unaad Diwas
- "Ashok Saraf's Ek Dao Dhobi Pachhaad to release on Jan 2". Daily News and Analysis. 30 December 2008. Retrieved 8 July 2012.
- "Ashok Saraf". Archived from the original on 21 June 2018. Retrieved 14 February 2016.
- .तेव्हापासून मी 'मामा' झालो - अशोक सराफ Archived 26 February 2012 at the Wayback Machine
- "त्या मुलीने मामा बनवले". Archived from the original on 22 February 2016. Retrieved 14 February 2016.
- "B'day: पत्नीपेक्षा 18 वर्षांनी मोठे आहेत अशोक सराफ, या कारणामुळे गोव्यात केले होते लग्न". divyamarathi (in Marathi). 4 June 2018. Retrieved 12 July 2019.
- "Happy birthday Ashok Saraf: Times when Nivedita revealed hubby Ashok's secrets".
- "'दोन्ही घरचा पाहुणा' (१९७२) या पहिल्या चित्रपटापासूनची अशोक सराफची अभिनयाची वाटचाल बहुरुपी". 16 September 2014. Archived from the original on 2 March 2016. Retrieved 14 February 2016.
- अभिनयसम्राट (अशोक सराफ) Archived 6 June 2014 at the Wayback Machine
- Ashok0 Archived 5 May 2014 at the Wayback Machine
- "सचिन, महेश दोघांची शैली वेगळी आहे- अशोक सराफ". Archived from the original on 22 February 2016. Retrieved 14 February 2016.
- "गुणी आणि दमदार अभिनेता - अशोक सराफ". Archived from the original on 22 February 2016. Retrieved 14 February 2016.
- "अशोक सराफ". 5 August 2014. Archived from the original on 24 April 2016. Retrieved 14 February 2016.
- "अशोक सराफ". Archived from the original on 15 February 2016. Retrieved 14 February 2016.
- Ashok Saraf Awards Archived 6 June 2014 at the Wayback Machine
- Ashok Saraf Archived 22 April 2016 at the Wayback Machine
- अशोक सराफ महाराष्ट्राचा फेवरेट विनोदवीर
- "From marrying an actor twice her age to playing a lead at 54: A look at 'Agga Bai Sasubai' fame Nivedita Ashok Saraf's life". The Times of India. 16 December 2019. Retrieved 16 November 2020.
- "Ashok Saraf Birthday Special: अशोक सराफ आणि निवेदिता सराफ यांनी मुंबईत लग्न न करता गोव्यातील या मंदिरात केले होते लग्न". Lokmat (in Marathi). 4 June 2019. Archived from the original on 23 November 2019. Retrieved 23 November 2019.
- "Nivedita Saraf wishes son Aniket on his birthday with an emotional post".
- "Aggabai Sasubai actor Nivedita Saraf wishes son Aniket on his birthday; writes a heartfelt note". The Times of India. 21 April 2020. Retrieved 4 September 2020.
- "अशोक सराफ अपघातातून बचावले". Zee News (in Marathi). 15 January 2012. Archived from the original on 13 May 2018. Retrieved 4 November 2019.
- Komal Nahta (22 July 2011). "Movie Review Singham". Archived from the original on 22 November 2012. Retrieved 30 November 2012.
- Kazmi, Nikhat (21 July 2011). "Singham". Times of India. Archived from the original on 6 November 2012. Retrieved 30 November 2012.
- Bunny Reuben (2005). --and Pran: a biography. HarperCollins Publishers India, a joint venture with India Today Group, New Delhi. p. 423. ISBN 9788172234669. Archived from the original on 24 December 2016. Retrieved 30 November 2012.
- Aandhali Koshimbir