Yes Boss (film)
Yes Boss is a 1997 Indian romantic comedy film directed by Aziz Mirza and produced by Ratan Jain. It stars Shah Rukh Khan, Aditya Pancholi and Juhi Chawla in lead roles. The film was a success at the box office, and was declared a "Hit" by Box Office India. The film was remade in Tamil as Guru En Aalu (2009). The rights to this film are owned by Shah Rukh Khan's Red Chillies Entertainment.
|Directed by||Aziz Mirza|
|Produced by||Ratan Jain|
|Screenplay by||Mangesh Kulkarni|
|Story by||Aziz Mirza|
|Starring||Shah Rukh Khan|
|Music by||Jatin Lalit|
Thomas A. Xavier
|Edited by||Javed Sayyed|
|Distributed by||Venus Records & Tapes|
|Budget||₹5 crore (equivalent to ₹18 crore or US$2.5 million in 2017)|
|Box office||₹23 crore (equivalent to ₹83 crore or US$12 million in 2017)|
Rahul (Shahrukh Khan) is an ambitious young, bright man who desires to become wealthy. He is lucky enough to find a job with extra earnings with his boss, Siddharth (Aditya Pancholi), who is a lustful person having extramarital affairs. Siddhartha has deviously trapped a rich woman (Kashmira Shah) and Rahul earns overtime money in keeping his bosses affairs a secret.
Then comes along Seema (Juhi Chawla) who is also an ambitious young woman and an aspiring model - who also desires a life of luxury. Siddharth is lustfully attracted to Seema and asks Rahul to help him trap her too. A helpless Rahul does so, but deep down somewhere in his heart, Rahul has a soft spot for Seema.
Anyway, due to Rahul's efforts, Seema is impressed by Siddharth's personality and business acumen. Gradually, Seema and Rahul become friends and she discovers Rahul's purity of heart and begins liking him when they go to Switzerland for a shooting schedule.
As their companionship blossoms, Rahul introduces Seema to his mother (Reema Lagoo), who is a heart patient and is sensitive to any shocking news or stress in life. Unfortunately, Bhushan (Gulshan Grover) uses this to his advantage and to mess with Rahul, and tells her that Rahul has married Seema. Rahul's mother is overjoyed with this news.
In order to avoid shocking his mother, Rahul and Seema have to put up an act as if they are a happily married couple, however, both slowly fall in love in the process.
When Siddharth learns that Rahul is in love with Seema (Siddharth's new pawn) he offers Rahul his dream office - with unsaid implication that it was in return for Seema. Siddharth, however, has no intention of giving Rahul his dream office.
Rahul replies to him and says that he does not want Siddharth as his boss, nor his dream office, and Seema joins him by resigning as well!
After this fiasco, true love triumphs as Seema decides to let a luxurious life go and spend the rest of her life with Rahul and his ailing mother who wholeheartedly accepts the relationship again.
- Shah Rukh Khan as Rahul Joshi
- Aditya Pancholi as Siddharth Chaudhary
- Juhi Chawla as Seema Kapoor
- Kashmira Shah as Sheela Chaudhary
- Ashok Saraf as Johnny, Rahul's friend
- Gulshan Grover as Bhushan, Sheela’s cousin
- Johnny Lever as Madhav Advanrumi aka Mr.Mad
- Reema Lagoo as Rahul's mother
- Mahavir Shah as Advocate Shukla
- Rakesh Bedi as Watchman at Girls Hostel
- Anant Mahadevan as Doctor
- Amrit Patel as Mamaji
- Kulbhushan Kharbanda as the father in law of Siddharth Chaudhary
|Soundtrack album by|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Label||Venus Records & Tapes|
The movie soundtrack has 6 songs composed by Jatin-Lalit who also composed the background score, with lyrics by Javed Akhtar. Most of the songs are sung by Abhijeet Bhattacharya and bagged his first Filmfare Award Best Play Back singer (Male) for the song "Main Koi Aisa Geet Gaoon". Other contributing artists are Kumar Sanu, Udit Narayan & Alka Yagnik.
|1||"Main Koi Aisa Geet Gaoon"||Abhijeet Bhattacharya, Alka Yagnik||05:11|
|2||"Choodi Baji Hai Kahin"||Udit Narayan, Alka Yagnik||05:05|
|3||"Chaand Taare"||Abhijeet Bhattacharya||04:48|
|4||"Suniye To"||Abhijeet Bhattacharya||05:12|
|5||"Jaata Hai Tu Kahan"||Abhijeet Bhattacharya||05:35|
|6||"Ek Din Aap"||Kumar Sanu, Alka Yagnik||04:30|
Yes Boss grossed ₹19.48 crore (US$2.7 million) in India and $975,000 (₹3.48 crore) in other countries, for a worldwide total of ₹22.96 crore (US$3.2 million), against its ₹5 crore (US$700,000) budget. It had a worldwide opening weekend of ₹3.07 crore (US$430,000), and grossed ₹5.65 crore (US$790,000) in its first week. It is the 12th-highest-grossing Indian film of 1997 worldwide.
It opened on Friday, 18 July 1997, across 180 screens, and earned ₹57 lakh (US$79,000) nett on its opening day. It grossed ₹1.79 crore (US$250,000) nett in its opening weekend, and had a first week of ₹3.29 crore (US$460,000) nett. The film earned a total of ₹11.33 crore (US$1.6 million) nett, and was declared "Hit" by Box Office India. It is the 14th-highest-grossing film of 1997 in India.
It earned $975,000 (₹3.48 crore) outside India. It is the 3rd-highest-grossing film of 1997 behind Dil To Pagal Hai ($3.3 million (₹12.04 crore)) and Pardes ($1.7 million (₹6.12 crore)), which were also Shah Rukh Khan starrers.
|Territory||Territory wise Collections break-up|
₹11.33 crore (US$1.6 million)
₹5.89 crore (US$820,000)
₹19.48 crore (US$2.7 million)
|$975,000 (₹3.48 crore)|
|Worldwide||₹22.96 crore (US$3.2 million)|
- Best Male Playback Singer – Abhijeet – "Main Koi Aisa Geet Gaoon"
- "Yes Boss Budget". Box Office India. 22 July 2015. Archived from the original on 1 August 2015. Retrieved 22 July 2015.
- "Yes Boss Box office". Box Office India. 22 July 2015. Archived from the original on 1 August 2015. Retrieved 22 July 2015.
- "Yes Boss Movie Review". Retrieved 2 November 2011.
- Srinivasan, Pavithra (April 24, 2009). "Guru En Aalu is no Yes Boss". Rediff. Retrieved 2018-04-04.
- "Top Worldwide Grossers 1997". Box Office India. 22 July 2015. Archived from the original on 17 March 2015. Retrieved 22 July 2015.
- "Top India Total Nett Gross 1997". Box Office India. 22 July 2015. Archived from the original on 17 March 2015. Retrieved 22 July 2015.
- "Top Overseas Gross 1997". Box Office India. 22 July 2015. Archived from the original on 18 March 2015. Retrieved 22 July 2015.