Angelo Vincenzo Zani
Angelo Vincenzo Zani (born 24 March 1950) is an Italian prelate of the Catholic Church, who has served as the Secretary of the Congregation for Catholic Education, its second-highest officer, since November 2012. He was previously its third-highest official for ten years.
Angelo Vincenzo Zani
|Secretary of the Congregation for Catholic Education|
Mgr. Angelo Vincenzo Zani
|Appointed||9 November 2012|
|Other posts||Titular Archbishop of Volturnum|
|Ordination||20 September 1975|
by Luigi Morstabilini
|Consecration||6 January 2013|
by Pope Benedict XVI
|Born||24 March 1950|
|Alma mater||Pontifical University of Saint Thomas Aquinas, Pontifical Lateran University, Pontifical Gregorian University|
|Coat of arms|
Angelo Vincenzo Zani
|Reference style||His Excellency|
|Spoken style||Your Excellency|
Zani was born in Pralboino, Brescia, Italy, on 24 March 1950. He studied philosophy and theology at the seminary of Brescia, the Pontifical University of Saint Thomas Aquinas, Angelicum and the Pontifical Lateran University where he was awarded a doctorate in theology. Zani was ordained to the priesthood on 20 September 1975 by Luigi Morstabilini, Bishop of Brescia. He then attended the Pontifical Gregorian University and earned a license in social science.
He assisted in the foundation of the Institute of Religious Studies at the Catholic University of Brescia and taught there from 1990 to 1995. From 1981 to 1995 he served as director at the Diocesan Pastoral Office as well as secretary of the board, and filled other pastoral assignments. During these years Zani was also director of the Episcopal Conference of Lombardy for the pastoral care of the schools. From 1995 to 2002, he was director of the National Bureau of Education of the Italian Episcopal Conference.
On 9 November 2012, Pope Benedict XVI appointed him Secretary of the Congregation for Catholic Education, its second-highest officer, and Titular Archbishop of Volturnum. And on 15 December, Benedict named him a consultant to the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. He received his episcopal consecration from Benedict on 6 January 2013. He chose as his motto "Unus Magister Vester" ('You Have One Teacher') from Matthew 23:8.
On 30 November 2013, Pope Francis confirmed Zani in his position as Secretary of the Congregation. On 16 July 2014, Francis appointed Zani to a five-year term as a consultant to the Congregation for Institutes of Consecrated Life and Societies of Apostolic Life.
As Secretary he often served as spokesperson for the Congregation. For example, in May 2014 he acknowledged the Congreation was reviewing a complaint filed by author William Blatty against Georgetown University; in January 2018, he discussed the apostolic constitution Veritatis gaudium and its restructuring of theological education; and in May 2018, he discussed new norms for education in canon law with respect to marriage annulments. He also participated in international conferences, for example in Rwanda and Thailand.
In a January 2018 speech in Calabria he outlined some of the requirements of contemporary theological education: the need to avoid narrow conversations—"the theology of the little table"—and instead speak to human concerns by respecting "the anthropological perspective of faith". He said the times require a "differentiated catechesis, especially at the popular level"; the use of "a pastoral language in step with the times", and the courage to exercise its role in public debates to "arouse renewed social vigor".
- "Chi è mons. Angelo Vincenzo Zani" (PDF). La Vice di Pralboino (in Italian). January 2013. pp. 5, 8, 10. Retrieved 23 April 2019.
- "Rinunce e Nomine, 09.11.2012" (Press release) (in Italian). Holy See Press Office. 9 November 2012. Retrieved 23 April 2019.
- "Rinunce e Nomine, 07.01.2002" (Press release) (in Italian). Holy See Press Office. 7 January 2002. Retrieved 23 April 2019.
- "Rinunce e Nomine, 15.12.2012" (Press release) (in Italian). Holy See Press Office. 15 December 2012. Retrieved 23 April 2019.
- "Descrizione del duo stemma episcopale" (PDF). La Vice di Pralboino (in Italian). January 2013. p. 9. Retrieved 23 April 2019.
- "Rinunce e Nomine, 30.12.2013" (Press release) (in Italian). Holy See Press Office. 30 November 2013. Retrieved 23 April 2019.
- "Rinunce e Nomine, 16.07.2014" (Press release) (in Italian). Holy See Press Office. 16 July 2014. Retrieved 23 April 2019.
- Desmond, Joan Frawley (12 May 2014). "Exorcist Writer Gets Response From Holy See on Georgetown Petition". National Catholic Register.
- Senèze, Nicolás (31 January 2018). "Francis wants to renew theology studies". La Croix. Retrieved 25 April 2019.
- Brockhaus, Hannah (3 May 2018). "Vatican requests courses to fill 'urgent need' for training in canon law". Catholic News Agency. Retrieved 25 April 2019.
- Scaramuzzi, Jacopo (3 May 2018). "Nullità matrimoniale, il Vaticano adegua la formazione accademica". La Stampa (in Italian). Retrieved 25 April 2019.
- "Fermento di riconciliazione". L'Osservatore Romano (in Italian). 28 July 2018. Retrieved 25 April 2019.
- "L'incontro continentale a Bangkok sulla Veritatis gaudium", Congregation for Catholic Education (in Italian), retrieved 25 April 2019
- Minniti, Federico (12 January 2018). "L'arcivescovo Zani: «Evitare la teologia da tavolino»". L'avvenire di Calabria (in Italian). Retrieved 25 April 2019.
- "Mgr Zani : pourquoi une nouvelle fondation pour l'éducation au Vatican". Famille Chrétienne (Interview) (in French). 5 November 2015.
|Catholic Church titles|
Jean-Louis Bruguès, OP
| Secretary of the Congregation for Catholic Education
9 November 2012–present