Andrey Vasilievich Filatov (Russian: Андре́й Васи́льевич Фила́тов; born 18 December 1971) is a Russian entrepreneur. Filatov is Chairman of the Board of Directors of Tuloma investment company, and a co-owner of the Globaltrans company. Andrey Filatov is also President of the Russian Chess Federation. He is Honorary Academician of the Russian Academy of Arts.
|Born||18 December 1971 (age 47)|
|Education||Belorussian State University of Physical Culture|
|Occupation||Chairman of the Board of Directors of Tuloma investment company|
|Net worth||US$ 1.3 billion (2012)|
Filatov completed secondary education at Junior Sporting School 9 in the city of Dnepropetrovsk, Ukraine, USSR. He was ranked Candidate for Master of Sport of the USSR (chess). In 1993, he graduated from the Academy of Physical Education and Sports of the Republic of Belarus (the Belorussian State University of Physical Culture) with the diploma of Sport Instructor and Chess Coach. At the Academy, he met and made friends with such chess players as Ilya Smirin and Boris Gelfand.
In 1996, together with his partners Konstantin Nikolaev and Nikita Mishin founded Severstaltrans, where he served as a Member of the Board of Directors and Chief Executive Officer since its foundation.
Andrey Filatov is a member of the Economic Council of the French-Russian Chamber of Commerce and Industry (CCIFR).
In 2015 was awarded the title of Honorary Academician of the Russian Academy of Arts for his contribution to the development and popularization of Russian and Soviet art.
Andrey Filatov is Chevalier of the French Legion of Honor Medal. Led by His Excellency the Ambassador of France to Russia Mr. Jean-Maurice Ripert, the official award ceremony took place on March 2, 2016, in the Chess Museum of Moscow.
In 2016, for merits in development of physical culture and sports, Andrey Filatov was honored with the Russian Medal of the Order "For Merit to the Fatherland" (2nd class). The award was given to Andrey Filatov by Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev on June 10, 2016. Andrey Filatov was awarded with a bronze medal as senior trainer of the Russian men's team at the 42nd Chess Olympiad in Baku (2016), a bronze medal at the 43nd Chess Olympiad in Batumi (2018) and a silver medal at FIDE World Team Championships in Khanty-Mansiysk (2017).
Married with six children.
Andrey Filatov’s main asset is the Tuloma investment company. Не is also a co-owner of the Global Ports company listed at the London Stock Exchange, the railway companies Globaltrans and Transoil Ltd (7%).
In October 2015, Filatov announced consolidation into Tuloma Investment Company, which specializes in investing in Russian companies and shares, of his personal assets (other than Global Ports, Transoil and Globaltrans). Tuloma’s investment portfolio includes stakes in Coal Mining Investments Ltd., Fabrikant, Pskovneft-Terminal, real estate development projects of Volgo-Okskaya Investment Company (VOIC), Pushkin, StroyEngineering Development, as well as shares in FosAgro, Novatek, MegaFon, LukOil, Surgutneftegas and Norilsk Nickel.
In 2010, Finance magazine estimated Andrey Filatov’s wealth at $920 million.
In 2011, the Russian version of Forbes magazine ranked Filatov 93rd among Russia’s wealthiest business people with an estimated wealth of $1.1 billion.
In 2012, Forbes World Listing estimated Filatov’s wealth at $1.3 billion (ranked 960th globally).
In November 2017, Andrey Filatov embarked on a PSA project to develop «25 Years of Independence», one of the largest gas deposits in Uzbekistan, with estimated reserves of 100 bcm. Filatov's stake in the project is 37.5 %.
On 19 October 2018, Andrey Filatov and the Chairman of the Board of Directors of Uzbekneftegaz JSC Bahrom Ashrafkhanov signed a supplemental agreement for the project to create a single investor and set the commercial conditions for the development of the field.
- Russian Presidential Certificate of Merit (21 Jan. 2011) for active involvement of the transfer by the Republic of Korea of the Russian cruiser Varyag (1899) jack flag to the Russian Federation
- The Moscow Times Awards (10 December 2013) - for sponsoring the startup of the first television channel dedicated exclusively to chess.
- Order of St Seraphim of Sarov, 3rd Class (25 June 2013)
- The most popular Russian sports manager of 2014 according to the Sport History and Statistics Fan Club (Russia) rating
- Five Continents Medal of UNESCO (26 May 2015)
- National Order of the Legion of Honour (2 March 2016)
- Medal of the Order "For Merit to the Fatherland", 2nd class (14 May 2016)
- Bronze medal (Russian men's team trainer) at the 42nd Chess Olympiad in Baku (2016)
- Silver medal (Russian men's team trainer) at FIDE World Team Championships in Kanty-Mansiysk (2017)
- Bronze medal (Russian men's team trainer) at the 43rd Chess Olympiad in Batumi (2018)
- Order of Friendship (2019)
Chess and public activitiesEdit
Andrey Filatov is a member of the Economic Council of French and Russian Businesses of the Franco-Russian Chamber of Commerce and Industry (CCIFR).
He has been keen on chess since childhood.
Filatov was the initiator and sponsor of the World Chess Championship 2012 held in Moscow in 2012, in the State Tretyakov Gallery. According to Filatov, “By holding the match in a museum we are attempting to emphasize the link between our favorite game and the arts, as well as pay tribute to the memory of great Russian artists in the broadest sense, including painters, writers, composers and musicians.”. The game was played between Boris Gelfand and Viswanathan Anand.
In memory of his first chess coach, Alexander Valerianovich Sinitsyn, Filatov set up the Sinitsyn Memorial international children chess festival, which has been held in Dnepropetrovsk since 2001.
On 13 August 2014, Andrey Filatov, the President of the Russian Chess Federation, was elected to the post of the vice president of the International Chess Federation (FIDE) at the world federation’s congress in Norway’s Tromsø.. He hold office as vice president of FIDE from 2014 to 2018.
From January 2016, Filatov is the senior coach of the Russian men's national chess team. The team won a bronze medal at the 42nd Chess Olympiad in Baku in September 2016, a bronze medal at the 43rd Chess Olympiad in Batumi in October 2018 and a gold medal at the World Team Championship in Astana in March 2019.
In 2016 Filatov was awarded a title of FIDE Senior trainer.
On July 20, 2018, Andrey Filatov announced the national team roster for the upcoming World Chess Olympiad in Batumi. The Olympiad became historically unprecedented by gathering the world's strongest chess teams. The Russian men's national team won bronze in the competition.
Filatov is collecting pieces of art – painting, graphic works, and sculpture as well. In his collection are works of such painters as Igor Grabar, Pyotr Konchalovsky, Konstantin Korovin, Gely Korzhev, Viktor Popkov, Arkady Plastov, Nicolai Fechin, and Aleksandr Laktionov. The collection started with Portrait of the engraver J.Watts by Nikolai Fechin. This portrait in 1924 won the Thomas R. Procter prize of the National Academy of Design in the USA. Andrey Filatov’s favorite painter is Viktor Popkov.
In 2014, Filatov became the owner of Château La Grace Dieu Des Prieurs, a French winemaker situated in Saint-Emilion, part of the Bordeaux winemaking region. The renowned oenological consultant Louis Mitjavile was invited to improve the winemaking process, while Jean Nouvel, one of the best-known French architects, created a unique design for the renovated château. Since 2017 the wine is branded as Art Russe Grand Cru and the wine label design includes reproductions of works from the Art Russe fund collection.  
Art Russe FundEdit
In 2012, Andrey Filatov established the Filatov Family Art Fund, to collect Russian and Soviet paintings and sculptures found abroad.
In June 2014, the Filatov Family Art Fund announced that it was rebranding to Art Russe as it prepared to open a new museum in London. Art Russe would continue the work of the Filatov Family Art Fund, but would take on a broader role, with the focus shifting from collecting art to showing the world the breadth and depth of the talent that thrived in Russia.
On 29 July 2014, Art Russe became a Patron of the Serpentine Galleries, one of London’s leading art galleries. The agreement demonstrates Art Russe’s commitment to supporting international galleries, museums and exhibitions, as it planned to launch its own museum in London.
To mark the 70th anniversary of Victory in Europe, in spring 2015 Art Russe arranged the art exhibition The Legacy of World War II in Russian Art at the Saatchi Gallery, London. The exhibition featured paintings and sculptures, most of which had never before been on public display in the UK, including Alexander Laktionov's Letter from the Front; the Tkachev brothers' By the Well; Igor Obrosov’s Wartime Moscow 1941; Ivan Penteshin’s The Defence of Leningrad; Evsey Moiseenko’s Freedom; Gely Korzhev’s The Reunion and Mai Danzig's monumental canvas And the World Remembers the Saviours.
Foundation Art Russe became a Major Funder of the exhibition Astronauts: The Birth of the Space Age, which opened on 17 September 2015 at London's Science Museum. Several exceptionally rare pieces of space hardware relating to the Soviet space program, which had never travelled outside of Russia before, were brought to London for the exhibition, which subsequently toured internationally, including to Moscow. Among the objects: R-7 ballistic missile engines, R-7 spacecraft "Vostok 6 spacecraft", which carried the world's first woman cosmonaut Valentina Tereshkova into space, personal belongings of astronauts, the objects of their everyday life on board, and even a space cosmic souls shower[clarification needed].
Art Russe has organized the first major exhibition of Russian and Soviet art of the twentieth century in the Middle East, which opened on 6 October 2015 in the capital of the United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi. The exhibition, entitled Art Russe Collection of 20th Century Russian and Soviet art Art of the XX century Art Russe: War and Peace and including more than 120 works, takes place under the patronage of the Minister of Culture, Youth and Social Development of the United Arab Emirates Sheikh Nahyan bin Mubarak Al Nahyan. The exhibition ran until February 2016.
In February 2016, the painting Freedom! by Evsey Moiseenko was transferred to the exhibition at Yad Vashem, Israel’s national memorial to the victims and heroes of the Holocaust, for a period of 15 years.
In August 2016, Art Russe funded the creation of a tapestry to be woven from a watercolour painting by Prince Charles, Duke of Rothesay at Dovecot Studios in Edinburgh.
In November 2016, Art Russe expanded its collection through the acquisition of seven paintings by some of the most iconic Russian artists. These paintings previously belonged to a European noble family. This followed last year's acquisition of eleven canvases from a European royal family. In December 2015 Art Russe signed the agreement to acquire paintings representing several influential movements in Russian art, such as Peredvizhniki. These works included The Religious Procession in Kursk Province, and Sadko in the Underwater Kingdom by Ilya Repin, The Mother of God by Kuzma Petrov-Vodkin, Whirlwind by Filipp Malyavin, Alionushka by Viktor Vasnetsov, The Swan Princess by Mikhail Vrubel, watercolour study The Rape of Europa by Valentin Serov, and Ballet Dressing-room Snowflakes by Zinaida Serebriakova.
- Andrei Filatov - Forbes // forbes.com, March 2012
- Mark Glukhovsky. Andrey Filatov: 'I would like this match to become the event of the year' // New In Chess, # 2 / 2012
- Amos, Howard (30 March 2012). "Q&A: Chess Not Just a Game for Infrastructure Oligarch". The Moscow Times. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 22 October 2018.
- Art Russe Founder Andrey Filatov Awarded Title of Honorary Academician of Russian Academy of Arts // Russian Chess Federation website, 12 November 2015
- RCF President Andrey Filatov Awarded the Order of the Legion of Honor // Match TV, 04 March 2016
- RCF President Andrey Filatov honored with the State Award Russian Chess Federation, 16 May 2016
- RCF President Andrey Filatov Receives State Decoration Russian Chess Federation, 11 June 2016
- Andrey Filatov: I Consider My Coaching Debut a Success Russian Chess Federation, 16 September 2016
- Filatov: National Team is in for RenewalRussian Chess Federation, 11 Oktober 2018
- Team China Keeps on Leading at the World Championship Before the Last Round // ugra2017.fide.com, 26 June 2017
- Russian infrastructure investor Filatov joins $2bn Uzbek gas field project // BNE Intellinews, 30 November 2017
- Russia and Uzbekistan launch work on nuclear power plant // Reuters, 16 October 2018
- Akexander Ratner. World Title match in Russia aims to popularize Chess through culture[permanent dead link] // AIPS Magazine, # 4 / 2011
- Andrey Filatov is the most popular Russian sports manager of 2014 // World Chess Federation, 4 March 2015
- Andrey Filatov awarded UNESCO medal // fide.com, 27 May 2015
-  // TASS, 01 March 2016
- Press release: Cooperation with the State Russian Museum to promote Russian art at home and abroad Archived 2 April 2015 at the Wayback Machine // Franco-Russian Chamber of Commerce and Industry (CCIFR), 4 March 2013
- "Tretyakov Gallery to host chess crown battle". RT.com. 20 February 2012. Retrieved 29 February 2012.
- Filatov Elected President of the Russian Chess Federation Archived 21 February 2014 at the Wayback Machine chessvibes.com, 3 February 2014
- Russian Chess Federation’s head elected for post of FIDE vice president // ITAR-TASS, 13 August 2014
- New Captain of the Russian Team // Russian Chess Federation, 14 May 2015
- Baku Chess Olympiad Committee // Baku Chess Olympiad official site
-  // Russian Chess Federation official site
- FIDE Chess Profile // World Chess Federation
- Andrey Filatov and Sergei Rublevsky Announce Russian Olympic Teams Compositions // Russian Chess Federation, 20 July 2018
- Andrey Filatov: Chess Olympiad in Batumi Is the Strongest in History // Russian Chess Federation, 24 September 2018
- Russian Team Wins Bronze at World Chess Olympiad in Batumi // Russian Chess Federation, 8 October 2018
- There’s no point in collecting works of art if you don’t show them to people // Russkoye Iskusstvo, № 2, 2012
- Soviet painting. Popkov European debut // Artribune.com (Il Messaggero), 23 February 2014
- Viktor Popkov – Sogno e realtà // Sky.it (arte), 18/02/2014
- Oligarch: How culture can heal the East-West rift // Nina dos Santos, video CNN, 2 June 2014
- Château La Grace Dieu des Prieurs // website
- French Traditions And Russian Art // B Beyond magazine, 10 July 2018
- Igor Popov. Wine and pictures: billionaire Andrey Filatov, acquired a Chateau in France. And here Russian painting? // www.forbes.ru, 23 may 2017
- The Art of Wine Label // Simple Wine News, February 2017
- A Celebration of Art Russe Saint-Emillion Grand Cru // Bloomberg.com, September 2018
- Yet Another Russian Trail // Tatler, March 2019
- Filatov re-elected by wide margin // FIDE, 04 February 2018
- Andrey Filatov re-elected Russian Chess Federation President // Chessdom, 03 February 2018
- Filatov Family Art Fund's Website
- "Filatov Family Art Fund rebrands as ARTE RUSSE". russianartandculture.com. 7 June 2017. Retrieved 2 May 2019.
- "Art Russe becomes a patron of the Serpentine galleries in London". artrusse.uk. 28 July 2014. Retrieved 2 May 2019.
- An exhibition featuring WWII in Russian art will be held in London Archived 21 April 2015 at Archive.today // Russia Beyond the Headlines, 12 February 2015
- London to See WWII through Eyes of Russian Artists // Russkiy Mir Foundation, 12 March 2015
- "Science Museum to launch Cosmonauts exhibition". Science Museum press release. 23 June 2015. Retrieved 2 May 2019.
- معرض "الحرب والسلام" السوفييتي في أبوظبي // RT Arabic, 8 October 2015
- Russian Art Gallery in the Emirates palace // Abu Dhabi TV, 8 October 2015
- A Painting From Art Russe Collection Will Be Exhibited in Yad Vashem Memorial // Russian Chess Federation, 15 February 2016
- "Art Russe Opens New Russian Art Exhibition At Beaulieu". artrusse.uk. 7 June 2018. Retrieved 26 March 2019.
- Art Russe Funds Tapestry Based On Prince Charles Watercolor // Russian Chess Federation, 4 August 2016
- Art Russe website
- Tuloma Investment Company website
- Article in "Canberra Times"
- Article in "New In Chess", №1, 2013
- Andrey Filatov interview with "Kommersant" "Kommersant"
- Andrey Filatov video interview with "Chessvibes"
- Andrey Filatov interview with "RBC daily"
- Andrey Filatov interview. "Europe Echecs" "Europe Echecs"
- Europe-Echecs video interview Andrey Filatov the World Championship sponsor "Europe Echecs"
- Andrey Filatov answers questions put to him by "CHESS Magazine" editor John Saunders[permanent dead link], London Chess Centre
- Andrey Filatov interview with "CNN"
- Andrey Filatov interview with "Sport Express"[permanent dead link] "Sport Express"
- chessdailynews.com - Andrey Filatov, recently elected President of Russian Chess Federation, gave a long interview for the popular newspaper "Sport-Express" 7 February 2014 "Sport Express"
- Andrey Filatov: Chess is an efficient way to fight drugs // Andrey Filatov interview with "ITAR-TASS"
- Sport-Express. Andrey Filatov: Forbes overrates me // ruchess.ru, 23 May 2015
- Pablo Who? This Tycoon Is Betting Half a Billion on Soviet Art // Bloomberg, 1 June 2015
- From Russia with Art (and Chess): Andrey Filatov is the Soviet era’s cultural ambassador // B Beyond Magazine, #1, 2015
- CNN: Showcasing Soviet Art in the Middle East // Art Russe, 15 October 2015
- Andrey Filatov about Loving One’s Life Work, Chess in Russia and Soviet Art[permanent dead link] // Aeroflot Premium, №10, p. 165, October 2015
- Reuters: N-Trans Co-Owner To Consolidate Assets Into Investment Company[permanent dead link] //www.tulomainvest.ru, 20 October 2015
- Russian art in Abu Dhabi: Art Russe has painstakingly collected and curated the artwork of Russia //Time Out Abu Dhabi, 20 October 2015
- Andrey Filatov: We Must Bring Chess Back on TV //Sport-Express, 24 December 2015
- Filatov: winning Candidates Tournament and the Chess Olympiad are our main goals // IA R-Sport, 13 January 2016
- Andrey Filatov interview with Match TV // Match TV, 3 March 2016
- Andrey Filatov: We are Just at the Start of a Long Journey // Sport-Express, 27 Maу 2016
- Andrey Filatov: I Consider My Coaching Debut a Success // Sport-Express, 16 September 2016
- Andrey Filatov: My Main Goal Is To Make Chess Popular // Ruchess.ru, 30 January 2017
- Interview in Sport-Express: Fans Will Sing National Anthem at the Olympics! // Sport-Express, 12 December 2017
- Lenin And Bourgeois French Grand Cru Wine: The Tale Of An Unlikely Alliance // TASS, 20 July 2018
- Andrey Filatov: National Team is in for Renewal // Ruchess.ru, 11 October 2018
- Andrey Filatov: Caruana Has More Chances to Win Than Carlsen // Ruchess.ru, 26 October 2018
- Time: ART RUSSE – The Taste of Success // Ruchess.ru, 7 November 2018
- Yet Another Russian Trail // Tatler, March 2019
- Andrey Filatov: Aiming at As Many Medals as Possible // Ruchess.ru, 27 February 2019
- New gas chemical complex to emerge in Boisun // Official website of the President of Uzbekistan, 30 April 2019