Académie de la Grande Chaumière
|Académie de la|
Plaque of the Académie de la Grande Chaumière
|School type||Art School|
|Director||(1909) Martha Stettler, Alice Dannenberg and Lucien Simon|
The school was founded in 1904 by the Catalan painter Claudio Castelucho, in rue de la Grande Chaumière in Paris, near to the Académie Colarossi. From 1909 the Académie was jointly directed by the painters Martha Stettler, Alice Dannenberg and Lucien Simon. It was dedicated to both painting and sculpture. It did not teach the strict academic rules of painting of the École des Beaux-Arts, and led to art that was free from academic constraints. An attraction was the low level of fees, even lower than those of the Académie Julian (which had to be paid in advance). It was said that all that was provided was a model and warmth in the winter.
In 1957, the Académie de la Grande Chaumière was acquired by the Charpentier family, founders of the Charpentier Academy. It still operates under its original name, and provides two free workshops, one for painting and drawing, the other for sketches, as well as evening classes.
|Artists by country|
|France||Jean Aujame – Jacques-Émile Blanche – Antoine Bourdelle – Yves Brayer – Alice Dannenberg Co-director with Stettler – Charles Despiau – Othon Friesz – André Lhote – Édouard Georges Mac-Avoy – Émile-René Ménard – Jean Metzinger – René-Xavier Prinet – Lucien Simon – Auguste Leroux – Pierre Vaillant – Robert Wlérick – Charles Picart Le Doux|
|United States||Margaret Ponce Israel|
|United Kingdom||Walter Sickert (for a time a weekly supervisor of Mlle. Stettler's classes)|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Académie de la Grande Chaumière.|
- "Académie de la Grande Chaumière". Gran Enciclopèdia Catalana (in Catalan). Retrieved 11 November 2016.
- (fr) in "La Semaine à Paris", Gallica, Bnf
- Bhattacharya, Tapan (1988). "Stettler, Adelheid Fanny Martha". SIKART Lexikon zur Kunst in der Schweiz (in German). Retrieved 11 November 2016.
- "Un lieu mythique". L'Académie de la Grande Chaumière (in French). Retrieved 14 November 2016.
- Sullivan, Michael Art and Artists of Twentieth Century China ISBN 978-0-520-07556-6 p.38
- (fr)Brugal antiquities
- (pl)zwoje-scrolls.com Archived 2016-03-05 at the Wayback Machine
- Baron, Wendy Sickert: Paintings and Drawings ISBN 978-0-300-11129-3 p136
- (fr) Dictionnaire des peintres belges
- (fr)Mediatheque Cité Musique
- Benezit Dictionary of Artists
- "O'Sullivan, Sean". NIVAL. National College of Art & Design. Retrieved 27 November 2017.