23rd Tony Awards
|23rd Tony Awards|
|Date||April 20, 1969|
|Location||Mark Hellinger Theatre, New York City, New York|
|Hosted by||Diahann Carroll and Alan King|
Presenters: Lauren Bacall, Pearl Bailey, Harry Belafonte, Richard Benjamin, Godfrey Cambridge, Betty Comden, Patty Duke, Adolph Green, Dustin Hoffman, Angela Lansbury, Jack Lemmon, Ethel Merman, Arthur Miller, Robert Morse, Zero Mostel, Paula Prentiss, Robert Preston, Vanessa Redgrave, Leslie Uggams, Gwen Verdon, Shelley Winters.
- Zorba ("Life Is" - Lorraine Serabian and Company)
- Promises, Promises ("She Likes Basketball"/"Turkey Lurkey Time" - Jerry Orbach, Donna McKechnie and Company)
- 1776 ("Momma, Look Sharp" - Scott Jarvis, William Duell, B.J. Slater)
- Hair ("Three-Five-Zero-Zero"/Let The Sun Shine In" - Company)
Scenes from plays were presented for the first time. Plays represented were:
Winners and nomineesEdit
Winners are in bold
- The National Theatre Company of Great Britain (accepted by artistic director Sir Laurence Olivier)
- The Negro Ensemble Company
- Rex Harrison
- Leonard Bernstein
- Carol Burnett
Multiple nominations and awardsEdit
These productions had multiple nominations:
The following productions received multiple awards.
- "Australia Dancing — Sainthill, Loudon (1919–1969)". Archived from the original on 2011-02-19. Retrieved 2010-03-05.