22nd Tony Awards
The 22nd Annual Tony Awards was held on April 21, 1968, at the Shubert Theatre and broadcast on television by NBC. Hosts were Angela Lansbury and Peter Ustinov, assisted by Jack Benny and with Alfred Drake doing narration.
|22nd Tony Awards|
|Date||April 21, 1968|
|Location||Shubert Theatre, New York City, New York|
|Hosted by||Angela Lansbury and Peter Ustinov|
The theme of this year's awards ceremony was to salute previous Tony Award-winning musicals.
Presenters: Anne Bancroft, Shirley Booth, Art Carney, Trudy Carson, Diahann Carroll, Carol Cole, Sandy Dennis, Audrey Hepburn, Jerry Herman, Anne Jackson, Alan King, Groucho Marx, Liza Minnelli, Paul Newman, Gregory Peck, Harold Prince, Tony Randall, Eli Wallach, Joanne Woodward.
- Golden Rainbow ("Twenty-Four Hours a Day" - Company);
- The Happy Time ("The Happy Time"/"A Certain Girl" - Robert Goulet, David Wayne, Michael Rupert)
- Fiddler on the Roof ("Matchmaker, Matchmaker" - Tanya Everett, Bette Midler, Mimi Turque)
- Cabaret ("Cabaret" - Jill Haworth)
- Man of La Mancha ("The Impossible Dream" - David Atkinson)
- Hello, Dolly! ("Put on Your Sunday Clothes"/"So Long, Dearie" - Pearl Bailey and Company)
- How Now, Dow Jones ("Step to the Rear" - Tony Roberts and Company)
- Hallelujah, Baby! ("Smile, Smile" - Leslie Uggams, Lillian Hayman, Robert Hooks)
Award winners and nomineesEdit
Winners are in bold
- Audrey Hepburn
- Carol Channing
- Pearl Bailey
- David Merrick
- Maurice Chevalier
- APA-Phoenix Theatre
- Marlene Dietrich
Multiple nominations and awardsEdit
These productions had multiple nominations:
The following productions received multiple awards.