The 79th edition of the KNVB Cup (at the time called Amstel Cup) started on June 1, 1996. The final was played on May 8, 1997: Roda JC beat sc Heerenveen 4–2 and won the cup for the first time. A total of 78 clubs participated.
- All 18 participants of the Eredivisie 1996-97, four of which entering in the knock-out stage, the rest entering in the group stage
- All 18 participants of the Eerste Divisie 1996-97, entering in the group stage (only FC Den Bosch entered in the preliminary round)
- 39 teams from lower (amateur) leagues, six of which entering in the group stage, the rest entering in the preliminary round
- 3 youth teams, one entering in the group stage, the other two in the preliminary round
The matches of the preliminary round were played on June 1, 2, 6 and 9, 1996. Except for Eerste Divisie club FC Den Bosch, only amateur clubs and two youth teams participated.
||De Treffers |
|Young sc Heerenveen
||Kozakken Boys (on June 15)
||De Treffers |
||FC Den Bosch
The matches of the group stage were played between August 15 and October 1, 1996. Except for four Eredivisie clubs, all other participants entered the tournament this round. 56 clubs participated, 28 advanced to the next round.
|1. TOP Oss 1
|2. SC Feyenoord A
|3. FC Utrecht E
|4. Young Sparta
|1. NEC E
|2. VVV-Venlo 1
|3. BVV/Verachtert A
|4. VV Bennekom A
E Eredivisie; 1 Eerste Divisie; A Amateur teams
The matches of the first knock-out round were played on November 27, 1996. The four highest ranked Eredivisie teams from last season entered the tournament this round.
E four Eredivisie entrants
Round of 16Edit
The matches of the round of 16 were played between February 7 and 12, 1997.
The quarter finals were played on March 11 and 12, 1997.
The semi-finals were played on April 16 and 17, 1997
The final was played on May 8, 1997.
Roda JC would participate in the Cup Winners' Cup.
- ^ a b De Treffers are mentioned two times in the preliminary round, which is probably incorrect. It is possible another team has played in this round, however, that would be difficult to find out. Since 31 professional and eight amateur clubs are first mentioned in the group stage, it is possible one of those clubs actually already played in the preliminary round.