This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2012)
The year 1992 in architecture involved some significant architectural events and new buildings.
Buildings and structuresEdit
- October 22: YKK Manufacturing and Engineering Centre in Namerikawa, Toyama, Japan, designed by Roy Fleetwood and Kenji Sugimura, is opened.
- October 31: Kunsthal in Rotterdam, designed by Rem Koolhaas is opened.
- specific date not listed:
- Porto School of Architecture in Portugal, designed by Álvaro Siza Vieira, is completed.
- 1000 de La Gauchetière in Montreal, Quebec
- 1501 McGill College in Montreal
- 1250 René-Lévesque in Montreal, Canada
- The Bank of America Corporate Center in Charlotte, North Carolina, United States is completed.
- Collserola Tower in Barcelona, designed by Norman Foster, is completed.
- Supreme Court of Israel in Jerusalem, designed by Ram Karmi and his sister Ada Karmi-Melamede, is opened.
- Central Plaza in Hong Kong, China is completed.
- Bank of America Plaza in Atlanta, Georgia, United States is completed.
- Construction of the Georgia Dome in Atlanta, Georgia, United States, is completed.
- The GLG Grand in Atlanta, Georgia, United States, is completed.
- SunTrust Plaza in Atlanta, Georgia, United States, is completed.
- The 225 South Sixth tower in Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States, is completed.
- United Overseas Bank Plaza One in Singapore is completed.
- Government offices, Rauma, Finland, designed by Jokela & Kareoja, are built.
- Goetz Collection, Munich, by Herzog & de Meuron.
- The Ark, London, designed by Ralph Erskine, is completed.
- Maitland Robinson Library at Downing College, Cambridge, designed by Quinlan Terry.
- Møller Centre at Churchill College, Cambridge, designed by Henning Larsen, is opened.
- Männistö Church, Kuopio, Finland, designed by Juha Leiviskä, is built.
- Church of St Jan Kanty, Kraków, Poland, designed by Krzysztof Bień, is completed.
- Fountains Abbey Visitor Centre, England, by Edward Cullinan Architects, is completed.
- Punta del Hidalgo Lighthouse on Tenerife is completed (illuminated 1994).
- Central Radio and TV Tower in Beijing, China is completed.
- The Telemax television tower in Hanover, Germany is completed.
- The Zizkov Television Tower in Prague, Czech Republic, is completed.
- AIA Gold Medal – Kevin Roche
- Alvar Aalto Medal – Glenn Murcutt
- Architecture Firm Award – James Stewart Polshek and Partners.
- Carlsberg Architectural Prize – Tadao Ando
- European Union Prize for Contemporary Architecture (Mies van der Rohe Prize) – Esteve Bonell and Francesc Rius for Municipal Sports Stadium, Barcelona.
- Grand Prix de l'urbanisme – Antoine Grumbach.
- Grand prix national de l'architecture – Christian de Portzamparc.
- Praemium Imperiale Architecture Laureate – Frank Gehry
- Pritzker Prize – Alvaro Siza.
- RAIA Gold Medal – Glenn Murcutt.
- RIBA Royal Gold Medal – Peter Rice.
- Twenty-five Year Award – Salk Institute for Biological Studies.
- February 22 – Aarno Ruusuvuori, Finnish architect (born 1925)
- April 27 – Sir James M. Richards, English architectural writer (born 1907)
- March 20 – Lina Bo Bardi, Italian-born Brazilian modernist architect (born 1914)
- June 25 – Sir James Stirling, British architect (born 1926)
- November 10 – Sir John Summerson, English architectural historian (born 1904)