1982 NCAA Division I-AA football season
The 1982 NCAA Division I-AA football season, part of college football in the United States organized by the National Collegiate Athletic Association at the Division I-AA level, began in August 1982 and concluded with the 1982 NCAA Division I-AA Football Championship Game on December 18, 1982, at Memorial Stadium in Wichita Falls, Texas. The Eastern Kentucky Colonels won their second I-AA championship, defeating the Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens in the Pioneer Bowl, 17−14.
|1982 NCAA Division I-AA season|
|Duration||November 27–December 18|
|Championship date||December 18, 1982|
|Championship site||Memorial Stadium|
Wichita Falls, Texas
|Champion||Eastern Kentucky Colonels|
|NCAA Division I-AA football seasons|
Conference changes and new programsEdit
Before the 1982 season, three conferences, and all of their members, were shifted from Division I-A to Division I-AA:
- Ivy League — Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Harvard, Pennsylvania, Princeton, and Yale
- Southern Conference — Appalachian State, Chattanooga, East Tennessee State, Furman, Marshall, The Citadel, VMI, and Western Carolina
- Southland Conference — Arkansas State, Lamar, Louisiana Tech, McNeese State, and Texas–Arlington
Big Sky Conference – Montana
The playoffs expanded from eight to twelve teams this season; four years later, in 1986, the field was expanded to sixteen teams.
NCAA Division I-AA Playoff bracketEdit
The top four teams were seeded, and received first-round byes.
|National Championship Game|
Wichita Falls, Texas
|(1) Eastern Kentucky*||38|
|Montana||7||(1) Eastern Kentucky*||13|
|(4) Tennessee State||7|
|(4) Tennessee State*||20|
|Eastern Illinois*||16||Pioneer Bowl|
|Jackson State||13||(1) Eastern Kentucky||17|
|(2) Louisiana Tech*||38|
|South Carolina State||3|
|South Carolina State||17||(2) Louisiana Tech*||0|
* Next to team name denotes host institution
- "1982 NCAA Division I Football Championship" (PDF). NCAA.org. p. 14. Retrieved December 29, 2013.
- "Breaks seal Colonels' win". Eugene Register-Guard. (Oregon). Associated Press. December 19, 1982. p. 10F.
- "E. Kentucky 17, Delaware 14". Beaver County Times. (Pennsylvania). December 19, 1982. p. C14.
- "Blue Hens Get Berth; Earn Opening Bye". The Daily Times. Salisbury, Maryland. AP. November 22, 1982. p. 10. Retrieved February 6, 2019 – via newspapers.com.
- "Playoffs, NCAA Div. I-AA". Detroit Free Press. November 27, 1982. p. 4D. Retrieved February 9, 2019 – via newspapers.com.