1963 PGA Championship
The 1963 PGA Championship was the 45th PGA Championship, played July 18–21 at the Blue Course of Dallas Athletic Club in Dallas, Texas. Jack Nicklaus won the first of his five PGA Championship titles, two strokes ahead of runner-up Dave Ragan. It was the second major win of the year for Nicklaus, and the third of his eighteen major titles.
|Dates||July 18–21, 1963|
|Course(s)||Dallas Athletic Club|
|Organized by||PGA of America|
|Length||7,046 yards (6,443 m)|
|Field||165 players, 83 after cut|
Nicklaus entered the final round in third place, three shots behind 54-hole leader Bruce Crampton. He shot a three-under 68 while Crampton fell back to third with 74 (+3) in the Texas heat, with temperatures over 100 °F (38 °C). At the trophy presentation in the bright sunshine, Nicklaus grasped the very hot Wanamaker Trophy with the aid of a towel. The temperature in downtown Dallas on Sunday reached a high of 110 °F (43 °C).
With the victory, Nicklaus at age 23 joined Gene Sarazen, Byron Nelson, and Ben Hogan as the only winners of all three American majors: the Masters, U.S. Open and PGA Championship. Nicklaus completed the first of his three career grand slams three years later at Muirfield in 1966.
The Open Championship was played the previous week in northwest England at Lytham St Annes, one of five times in the 1960s that these two majors were played in consecutive weeks in July. Nicklaus bogeyed the last two holes at Lytham and finished a stroke out of the 36-hole Saturday playoff, won by Bob Charles. The PGA Championship moved permanently to August in 1969 (except 1971, when it was played in late February to avoid Florida's summer). After cool temperatures in Britain, the oppressive July heat in Dallas was difficult for many to adjust to.
Nicklaus won the Masters in April, the first of his six green jackets, marking only the third time that the Masters champion won the PGA Championship in the same calendar year. He was preceded by Sam Snead in 1949 (May) and Jack Burke, Jr. in 1956. Through 2016, it has been accomplished only four times, twice by Nicklaus, and most recently 45 years ago in August 1975.
Past champions in the fieldEdit
Made the cutEdit
|Player||Country||Year(s) won||R1||R2||R3||R4||Total||To par||Finish|
|Dow Finsterwald||United States||1958||72||72||66||72||282||−2||T3|
|Gary Player||South Africa||1962||75||74||67||70||286||+2||T8|
|Doug Ford||United States||1955||70||72||71||77||290||+6||T27|
|Sam Snead||United States||1942, 1949, 1951||71||73||70||76||290||+6||T27|
|Jack Burke, Jr.||United States||1956||75||72||73||71||291||+7||T34|
|Jerry Barber||United States||1961||74||73||72||74||293||+9||T40|
|Jay Hebert||United States||1960||75||76||73||69||293||+9||T40|
|Bob Rosburg||United States||1959||72||75||74||72||293||+9||T40|
Missed the cutEdit
|Player||Country||Year won||R1||R2||Total||To par|
|Walter Burkemo||United States||1953||79||73||152||+10|
|Lionel Hebert||United States||1957||78||76||154||+12|
|Chick Harbert||United States||1954||77||78||155||+13|
|Vic Ghezzi||United States||1941||79||77||156||+14|
|Jim Turnesa||United States||1952||81||76||157||+15|
Thursday, July 18, 1963
|1||Dick Hart||United States||66||−5|
|T2||Julius Boros||United States||69||−2|
|Bob Charles||New Zealand|
|Shelley Mayfield||United States|
|Jack Nicklaus||United States|
|Mason Rudolph||United States|
|T7||Charles Congdon||United States||70||−1|
|Doug Ford||United States|
|Bernie Haas||United States|
|Tony Lema||United States|
|Earl Stewart||United States|
Friday, July 19, 1963
|1||Dick Hart||United States||66-72=138||−4|
|T2||Julius Boros||United States||69-72=141||−1|
|Tony Lema||United States||70-71=141|
|Shelley Mayfield||United States||69-72=141|
|T5||Manuel de la Torre||Spain||71-71=142||E|
|Doug Ford||United States||70-72=142|
|Jack Nicklaus||United States||69-73=142|
|Bill Johnston||United States||71-72=143|
|Gene Littler||United States||71-72=143|
|Doug Sanders||United States||74-69=143|
Saturday, July 20, 1963
|2||Dow Finsterwald||United States||72-72-66=210||−3|
|3||Jack Nicklaus||United States||69-73-69=211||−2|
|4||Dave Ragan||United States||75-70-67=212||−1|
|T5||Doug Ford||United States||70-72-71=213||E|
|Billy Maxwell||United States||73-71-69=213|
|Doug Sanders||United States||74-69-70=213|
|T8||Julius Boros||United States||69-72-73=214||+1|
|Al Geiberger||United States||72-73-69=214|
|Dick Hart||United States||66-72-76=214|
|Dave Hill||United States||73-72-69=214|
|Sam Snead||United States||71-73-70=214|
Sunday, July 21, 1963
|Place||Player||Country||Score||To par||Money ($)|
|1||Jack Nicklaus||United States||69-73-69-68=279||−5||13,000|
|2||Dave Ragan||United States||75-70-67-69=281||−3||7,000|
|Dow Finsterwald||United States||72-72-66-72=282|
|T5||Al Geiberger||United States||72-73-69-70=284||E||3,125|
|Billy Maxwell||United States||73-71-69-71=284|
|T8||Gardner Dickinson||United States||72-74-74-66=286||+2||2,090|
|Tommy Jacobs||United States||74-72-70-70=286|
|Bill Johnston||United States||71-72-72-71=286|
|Gary Player||South Africa||74-75-67-70=286|
|Art Wall Jr.||United States||73-76-66-71=286|
- "Crampton snatches PGA lead". Eugene Register-Guard. (Oregon). Associated Press. July 21, 1963. p. 1B.
- "Tournament Info for: 1963 PGA Championship". PGA.com. Retrieved July 18, 2012.
- Bartlett, Charles (July 22, 1963). "Nicklaus wins P.G.A. on 30-foot putt". Chicago Tribune. p. 1, sec. 3.
- Petersen, Leo (July 22, 1963). "Birdie putt on 15th clinches PGA tourney victory for Nicklaus at Dallas". Youngstown Vindicator. (Ohio). UPI. p. 19.
- Wright, Alfred (July 29, 1963). "Hottest man in a furnace". Sports Illustrated. p. 16.
- Bartlett, Charles (July 21, 1963). "Crampton leads P.G.A. meet on 208". Chicago Tribune. p. 1, sec. 2.
- "Nicklaus fires final round 68, wins PGA". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Associated Press. July 22, 1963. p. 21.
- "The making of a major". Golf. (photos). Retrieved April 13, 2017.
- "Nicklaus wins PGA title". Eugene Register-Guard. (Oregon). Associated Press. July 22, 1963. p. 3B.
- Brown, Gwilym S. (22 July 1963). "The Ham and the Knife". Sports Illustrated. pp. 10–11, 43–45.
- "Nicklaus drive of 341 yards wins contest". Chicago Tribune. Associated Press. July 18, 1963. p. 5, sec. 3.
- Bartlett, Charles (July 19, 1963). "Hinsdale gets ace, 66, P.G.A. lead". Chicago Tribune. p. 1, sec. 3.
- "Hart takes early lead in PGA, shoots ace, 66". Palm Beach Post. Associated Press. July 19, 1963. p. 25.
- "PGA Scores". Palm Beach Post. Associated Press. July 20, 1963. p. 14.
- PGA Media Guide 2012
- About.com – 1963 PGA Championship
- PGA.com – 1963 PGA Championship
- Golf Channel: 1963 PGA Championship
- PGA of America Nicklaus reflects on 1963 PGA Championship
1963 Open Championship
|Major Championships||Succeeded by|