1897 in sports
1897 in sports describes the year's events in world sport.
|Years in sports:||1894 1895 1896 1897 1898 1899 1900|
|Centuries:||18th century · 19th century · 20th century|
|Decades:||1860s 1870s 1880s 1890s 1900s 1910s 1920s|
|Years:||1894 1895 1896 1897 1898 1899 1900|
- The Football League – Aston Villa 47 points, Sheffield United 36, Derby County 36, Preston North End 34, Liverpool 33, Sheffield Wednesday 31
- FA Cup final – Aston Villa 3–2 Everton at Crystal Palace, London.
- Aston Villa becomes the second club to complete The Double in English football
- 17 March — Bob Fitzsimmons knocks out James J. Corbett in the 14th round to win the World Heavyweight Championship in the first championship fight ever captured on film.
Lineal world champions
- World Heavyweight Championship – James J. Corbett → Bob Fitzsimmons
- World Middleweight Championship – title vacant
- World Welterweight Championship – Tommy Ryan
- World Lightweight Championship – George "Kid" Lavigne
- World Featherweight Championship – George Dixon → Solly Smith
- World Bantamweight Championship – Jimmy Barry
- Two English teams toured the West Indies under A A Priestley and Lord Hawke
- A Philadelphian team tours England
- County Championship – Lancashire
- Minor Counties Championship – Worcestershire
- Most runs – Bobby Abel 2099 @ 44.65 (HS 250)
- Most wickets – Tom Richardson 273 @ 14.45 (BB 8–49)
- Wisden Five Cricketers of the Year – Frederick Bull, Willis Cuttell, Frank Druce, Gilbert Jessop, Jack Mason
- Sheffield Shield – New South Wales
- Most runs – Jack Lyons 404 @ 57.71 (HS 113)
- Most wickets – Tom McKibbin 44 @ 14.88 (BB 8–74)
World Figure Skating Championships
- Grand National – Manifesto
- 1,000 Guineas Stakes – Chelandry
- 2,000 Guineas Stakes – Galtee More
- The Derby – Galtee More
- The Oaks – Limasol
- St. Leger Stakes – Galtee More
- Melbourne Cup – Gaulus
- Queen's Plate – Ferdinand
- Montreal Victorias win a 3rd Stanley Cup, defeating Ottawa.
Nice Speed Week
The Boat Race
Home Nations Championship
- 15th Home Nations Championship series is not completed
Speed Skating World Championships
- The inaugural French women's singles championship is held.
- Wimbledon Men's Singles Championship – Reginald Doherty (GB) defeats Harold Mahony (Ireland) 6–4 6–4 6–3
- Wimbledon Women's Singles Championship – Blanche Bingley Hillyard (GB) defeats Charlotte Cooper Sterry (GB) 5–7 7–5 6–2
- French Men's Singles Championship – Paul Aymé defeats Francky Wardan (GB) 4–6 6–4 6–2
- French Women's Singles Championship – Françoise Masson (France) defeats P Girod (France) 6–3 6–1
- "Scottish Cup Past Winners | Scottish Cup | Scottish FA". www.scottishfa.co.uk. Retrieved 5 February 2021.
- Boston Athletic Association (2011). "Boston Marathon History: 1897-1900". www.baa.org. Boston: Boston Athletic Association. Archived from the original on 2013-04-10. Retrieved March 2, 2011. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Cyber Boxing Zone – Bob Fitzsimmons. Retrieved on 15 November 2009.
- "Cyber Boxing Zone". Archived from the original on 2009-06-14. Retrieved 2009-06-20. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)