This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2010)
- Matsuo Bashō, Oku no Hosomichi (奥の細道, "The Narrow Road to the Interior" or "The Narrow Road to the Deep North") is published posthumously. This poetic travel diary chronicles a journey to the Northern Provinces of Honshū undertaken in 1689.
- Edward Bysshe, The Art of English Poetry (criticism)
- Daniel Defoe:
- John Dennis, The Monument, a memorial poem on the death of William III on March 8
- George Farquhar, Love and Business, verse and prose
- William King - De Origine Mali (in Latin)
- Mary Mollineux, Fruits of Retirement; or, Miscellaneous Poems, Moral and Divine
- Nicholas Noyes, "A Prefatory Poem", the preface for Cotton Mather's Magnalia Christi Americana, English Colonial America
- John Pomfret, Miscellany Poems on Several Occasions
- Sir Charles Sedley, Miscellaneous Works (posthumous)
- Joseph Stennett, A Poem to the Memory of His Late Majesty William the Third
Death years link to the corresponding "[year] in poetry" article:
- June 26 – Philip Doddridge (died 1751), English Nonconformist preacher and writer
- August 26 – Judith Madan, née Cowper (died 1781), English poet
- October 24 – Yokoi Yayū 横井 也有, born Yokoi Tokitsura (横井 時般), taking pseudonym Tatsunojō (died 1783), Japanese samurai, scholar of Kokugaku and haikai poet
- Also – Kenrick Prescot (died 1779), English poet
- Approximate date
Birth years link to the corresponding "[year] in poetry" article:
- Bolitho, Harold (2003), in Treasures of the Yenching: seventy-fifth anniversary of the Harvard-Yenching Library, Chinese University Press. ISBN 978-962-996-102-2. p. 35.
- Grun, Bernard, The Timetables of History, third edition, 1991 (original book, 1946), page 320
- Cox, Michael, ed. (2004). The Concise Oxford Chronology of English Literature. Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-860634-6.
- Burt, Daniel S., The Chronology of American Literature: : America's literary achievements from the colonial era to modern times, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2004, ISBN 978-0-618-16821-7, retrieved via Google Books