This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2017)
The year 1700 in music involved some significant events.
- John Eccles is appointed Master of the King's Musick.
- William Croft returns to the Chapel Royal, where he had been educated, as a "gentleman organist".
- William Corbett becomes director of the New Theatre at Lincoln's Inn Fields.
- Johann Sebastian Bach becomes a chorister at St. Michael's Church, Lüneburg.
- Tomaso Albinoni is employed as a violinist by Fernando Carlo, Duke of Mantua.
- An inventory of musical instruments kept by Prince Ferdinando de Medici provides the first evidence for the existence of the pianoforte.
Published popular musicEdit
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (January 2012)
- Tomaso Giovanni Albinoni – Sinfonie e concerti op. 2
- Johann Sebastian Bach
- Prelude and Fugue in D minor, BWV 549a
- Christ, der du bist der helle Tag, BWV 766
- John Blow – Amphion Anglicus
- Jacques Boyvin – Livre d'orgue II
- Sébastien de Brossard – O miraculum!, SdB.006
- Antonio Caldara
- La frode della castità
- Il trionfo dell'innocenza
- Choice Collection of Ayres for the Harpsichord or Spinnet by John Blow, Jeremiah Clarke, Francis Piggott, John Barrett and William Croft
- Jeremiah Clarke – Prince of Denmark's March (approximate date)
- Arcangelo Corelli – XII Suonati a violino e violone o cimbalo (Op. 5), published in Rome
- John Eccles – The Mad Lover
- Johann Caspar Ferdinand Fischer – Musicalischer Parnassus
- Godfrey Keller
- The Royal Trumpett-Suite
- 8 Trio Sonatas
- Johann Kuhnau – Musicalische Vorstellung einiger biblischer Historien (Biblical sonatas), published in Leipzig
- Johann Sigismund Kusser
- 6 Overture Suites 'Apollon Enjoué'
- 6 Overture Suites 'Festin des Muses'
- Isabella Leonarda – Motetti a voce sola con istromenti, Op.20
- Alessandro Scarlatti – Il rosignolo se scioglie il volo, H.318
- Carlo Agostino Badia – La costanza d'Ulisse
- André Campra – Hésione
- John Eccles – The Judgment of Paris
- Alessandro Scarlatti – Eracles
- Jacques Boyvin – Traité abrégé de l'accompagnement
- Johann Kuhnau – Der musicalische Quack-Salber
- Friedrich Erhardt Niedt – Musicalische Handleitung
- January 14 – Picander, librettist for Johann Sebastian Bach (died 1764)
- March 13 – Michel Blavet, flautist (died 1768)
- April 2 – Francesca Cuzzoni, opera singer (died 1770)
- Sebastian Bodinus, composer (d. 1759)
- Jean-Baptiste Masse, cellist and composer (died c.1757)
- January 16 – Antonio Draghi, opera composer (born c.1634)
- February 8 – Filippo Acciaiuoli, opera composer, librettist and manager (born 1637)
- June 6 – Wespazjan Kochowski, historian, poet and wek[check spelling] (born 1633)
- August Kühnel, viola da gamba player and composer (b. 1645)
- Monsieur de Sainte-Colombe, violist and composer (born c.1640)