The ZIL-157 is a general-purpose 2+1⁄2-ton 6×6 truck, produced at the Lichachev plant in the Soviet Union from 1958 to 1977, when production was transferred the Amur plant, since the Lichachev plant wanted to focus more on modern trucks, such as the ZIL-131 truck. Nevertheless, production of the ZIL-157 trucks continued even after the fall of the Soviet Union, but eventually ended in 1994.
|Production||1958-1961 (mod. ЗИЛ-157)|
1962-1978 (mod. ЗИЛ-157К)
1978-1994 (mod. ЗИЛ-157КД)
|Body and chassis|
|Layout||front engine, 6×6|
|Engine||5.55 L ZIL-157, 104 hp (78 kW) l6|
|Wheelbase||3,665 + 1,120 mm (144.3 + 44.1 in)|
|Length||6.93 m (22 ft 9 in)|
|Width||2.32 m (7 ft 7 in)|
|Height||2.74 m (9 ft 0 in)|
|Curb weight||5,540 kg (12,214 lb)|
The ZIL-157 truck, like its many predecessors, was mostly intended for use by the Red Army, but it was also popular with forestry companies, and was thus also used as a log truck, specifically the ZIL-157V semi-truck version. In 1977 the production of the truck was moved to Novouralsk by the UamZ company. The Lichachev plant likely did that move since, they wanted to focus their main production efforts, on more modern trucks on the same class, such as the ZIL-131 truck.
The UamZ company continued producing the truck even after the fall of the Soviet Union until 1994.
- ZIL-157 (ЗИЛ-157) - cargo truck, produced 1958 - 1961
- ZIL-157E - As ZIL-157, but with no cargo platform, two fuel tanks, and no spare wheel bracket.
- ZIL-157G - As ZIL-157, but with shielded electrical equipment.
- ZIL-157K (ЗИЛ-157К) - cargo truck, produced 1962 - 1978. Modernized version of ZIL-157.
- ZIL-157KD (ЗИЛ-157КД) - 5-ton cargo truck, produced since 1978. Modernized version of ZIL-157K.
- ZIL-157L - Prototype power-steering version of ZIL-157. Produced in 1958, cancelled due to front suspension and steering malfunctions.
- ZIL-157V - Tractor-trailer version. Produced 1958 - 1961.
- ZIL-165 - Prototype for ZIL-131. Produced in 1958.
- KMM (колёсный механизированный мост КММ) - Soviet military bridgelayer on ZIL-157 chassis
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to ZIL-157.|
- "ЗИЛ-157". Retrieved 23 August 2021.
- ЗИЛ-157КД // Краткий автомобильный справочник НИИАТ. 10-е изд., пер. и доп. М., "Транспорт", 1983. стр.70
- ЗИЛ-157КДВ // Краткий автомобильный справочник НИИАТ. 10-е изд., пер. и доп. М., "Транспорт", 1983. стр.77-78
- подполковник-инженер В. Перлин. Автомобиль ЗИЛ-157КД // "Техника и вооружение", № 6. 1982. стр.9
- К. Янбеков. Колесные мостоукладчики ЛКМ и КММ // журнал "Техника и вооружение", № 7, июль 2019. стр.16-21
- "BMD-20". Retrieved 14 August 2021.
- Fan-Club ZIL-157
- English website for Russian Military Trucks
- Short movie about the ZIL-157, with Russian comment
- Russian drawings of ZIL-157
- "ZIL 157 at Etoile Rouge". Clement Hourbe & Aymeric Lopez. 2010. Retrieved 2014-10-28.