The Yorke Highway is the main road from Adelaide to the southern parts of the Yorke Peninsula in South Australia. It runs from the northeast to the southwest of the peninsula. It branches off of the Copper Coast Highway after rounding the top of Gulf St Vincent, runs down the coast to Ardrossan then inland through Maitland to the Spencer Gulf coast at Hardwicke Bay then through Warooka to the south coast at Marion Bay and Stenhouse Bay on Investigator Strait.
|Length||182 km (113 mi)|
|Route number(s)||B86 (1998-present)|
|north end|| Copper Coast Highway|
Port Arthur, South Australia
|south end||Pondalowie Bay Road|
Stenhouse Bay, South Australia
|Major settlements||Ardrossan, Minlaton, Warooka, Marion Bay, Hardwicke Bay|
The state government proposes to restructure the intersection at the north end of the Yorke Highway to provide a large roundabout instead of it being the terminating road at a tee-junction. The roundabout will permit road trains to operate between Port Wakefield and Ardrossan which had previously not been permitted due to limitations of that intersection. Subsidiary works will improve the Yorke Highway north of Ardrossan with a widened bridge, sealed shoulders and overtaking lanes. Road trains up to 36.5 metres (120 ft) were previously permitted to operate on the Augusta Highway through Port Wakefield north towards Port Pirie and beyond, and from Ardrossan south to Port Giles, but were not permitted to operate north of Ardrossan to the Augusta Highway, limiting the capacity to transport grain or minerals.
Rex Minerals propose to realign the Yorke Highway and move the intersection with the St Vincent Highway closer to Pine Point as part of the construction of the Hillside mine. What is now the northern end of the St Vincent Highway would move to a new alignment closer to the coast, with the Yorke Highway turning inland at the southern (Pine Point Road) end of this diversion instead of near the northern end.
|Wakefield Regional Council and Yorke Peninsula Council||Port Arthur||0||0.0||Copper Coast Highway, 9km north of Port Wakefield||Northern terminus of route B86|
|Yorke Peninsula Council||Ardrossan||42||26||Maitland Road – Maitland|
|Pine Point||55||34||St Vincent Highway – Port Vincent, Edithburgh|
|Minlaton||93||58||Spencer Highway – Maitland|
|Warooka||125||78||St Vincent Highway – Yorketown, Edithburgh|
|Stenhouse Bay||182||113||Innes National Park||Southern terminus route B86|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi|
- Google (21 September 2014). "Yorke Highway" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 21 September 2014.
- "DPTI Maintained Roads, South Australia" (PDF). Department of Planning Transport and Infrastructure. Retrieved 5 August 2015.
- Copper Coast Highway Intersection with Yorke Highway - for illustrative purposes only (PDF) (Map). Government of South Australia. August 2016. Retrieved 24 August 2016.
- Peter Malinauskas (10 August 2016). "New roundabout to help ease holiday traffic on Yorke Peninsula". News release - Peter Malinauskas (Press release). Government of South Australia.
- RAVNet (Map). Government of South Australia. Retrieved 24 August 2016.
- Rex Minerals Ltd (August 2013). "Hillside Copper Mine - Mining Lease Proposal & Management Plan" (PDF). Government of South Australia. pp. 341–343. Retrieved 14 October 2014.
- "Naming of State Rural Roads - Yorke Peninsula" (PDF). 24 March 2011. Rack Plan 996. Retrieved 21 September 2014.