Yelü Yilie (Chinese: 耶律夷列), otherwise known by his temple name Emperor Renzong of Liao (Chinese: 遼仁宗), was the second emperor of the Qara Khitai (also known as Western Liao), ruling from 1150 to 1163.
|Emperor of Western Liao dynasty|
|Predecessor||Xiao Tabuyan (as regent)|
|Successor||Yelü Pusuwan (as regent)|
|Died||1163 (aged 28–29)|
He was too young to succeed as emperor when Yelü Dashi died in 1143. Not much is known about his reign.
History of Liao states he changed his era name to Shaoxing in 1151, however recent coins unearthed in Central Asia might prove it was a scribal mistake. During his reign, there was a census conducted, which turned out 84,500 households in the empire. Although it may also be the number of adult men who could serve in the army.
In 1156, he tried to establish peace with the Jin dynasty unsuccessfully. The same year Karluks under Ayyar Beg revolted against Western Karakhanid ruler Ibrahim III and killed him. Yelü Yilied appointed Ali b. Hasan as Chaghrï Khan to Samarqand. Chagri marched on Ayyar Beg with reinforcements from Qara Khitai and eastern Karakhanid Ibrahim II (who was created Ilig Türkmen by Yelü Dashi). Ibrahim's forces killed Ayyar Beg and Chaghri Khan was reinstated on his throne.
In 1158 Yelü Yilie ordered expulsion of Karluks from Bukhara and Samarqand to Kashgar and charged Chaghri to deal with matter. Purged Karluks went to Khwarazmshah Il-Arslan to ask for help. Chaghri just had reinforcements from new East Karakhanid ruler Muhammed II consisting of 10,000 men, while Karluks marched on Bukhara with Khwarazmi help. The same year Chaghri died and was replaced by Masud II who appeared before Bukhara and defeated Karluks.
- Group, OTS; Nastich, Vladimir N; Belyaev, Vladimir A; Sidorovich, Sergey. "The coinage of Qara Khitay: a new evidence (on the reign title of the Western Liao Emperor Yelü Yilie)".
- History of Liao, vol.30
- Wittfogel, Karl August (1970). History of Chinese society : Liao, 907-1125. Lancaster Press. pp. 643–654. OCLC 729089896.
- Pikov, G. G. (1989). Zapadnye kidani. Novosibirsk: Izd-vo Novosibirskogo univ. ISBN 5761500205. OCLC 29818909.
- 'Abd al-'Azīz ed al-Dūrī; A J ed al-Muttalibī, eds. (1971). Akhbār al-dawla al-'Abbāsiyya wa fīhi akhbār al-'Abbās wa waladihi : a history of the Abbasid movement, reflecting Abbasid trends and ideas before the time of al-Mahdi. p. 148. OCLC 150425481.
- Taşağıl, Ahmet. "İLİG - TDV İslâm Ansiklopedisi". islamansiklopedisi.org.tr. Retrieved 25 August 2018.
House of Yelü (1150–1163)Born: 1134 Died: 1163
| Emperor of the Liao Dynasty
Empress Dowager Chengtian
as Regent of Emperor of the Liao Dynasty
| Gurkhan of Qara Khitai
Empress Dowager Chengtian
|This Chinese royalty-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|