Shiodome, Sijhih, Hsichih
|Country||Republic of China (Taiwan)|
|special municipality||New Taipei City|
|• Total||71.2354 km2 (27.5041 sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+8 (CST)|
|Literal meaning||the end of tides|
The district's old name Tsui-tng-ka (Chinese: 水返腳; Pe̍h-ōe-jī: Chúi-tńg-kha; lit. 'water returning site') refers to the fact that the tide from the Keelung River stops at Xizhi and goes back to the sea. During Japanese rule, the place name was changed to Shiodome (汐止, literally "end of tides") and was under Shichisei District, Taihoku Prefecture. This is the source of the current name.
In 1758, Han immigrants built a settlement (峯仔峙莊; Phang-á-sī-chng) near the area.
After the handover of Taiwan from Japan to the Republic of China, Xizhi was established as an urban township of Taipei County. It was upgraded to a county-administered city on 1 July 1999. On 25 December 2010, it became a district of New Taipei City.
Geography and locationEdit
Xizhi is located in the Keelung River valley between Taipei and Keelung, which is an important transportation corridor. The old Jukando Highway and Jukan Railway Line (縱貫線) passed through here during the Japanese period. Currently both north–south freeways (National Highway 1 and National Highway 3) as well as the West Coast Line railroad pass through Xizhi.
Many of Taiwan's electronics companies are headquartered in Xizhi, such as:
- Acer Group, an international computer company
- Coiler Corporation, a telecommunications company
- Lanner Electronics Inc., a company making computer parts, network appliance platforms, and motherboards
- DFI (Diamond Flower Inc.), a company making computer motherboards
U-Town, a commerce center with multiple functions, such as entertainment, business, and dining areas, is being built by Farglory Group (遠雄企業), and will be completed the entire construction ideally by the end of 2014. It will be located in one of the most convenient and centralized areas of the whole Xizhi District once the entire building is full built. Around U-Town, there are hypermarkets, such as Carrefour and Costco, international computer companies, such as Acer, and retailer of consumer electronics and entertainment software, such as TK3C. There will be 1482 units in total within 37 stories along with underground 7 floors. Among those units, B1 will be designed as public food court, 1F~3F will be international designers branding department store, 4F will be fitness center. The remaining floors will also include, lobby, Farglory Museum, spa, swimming pool, business meeting rooms and offices.
- "Demographics Xizhi District Calendar".
- 翁佳音 (1998). 大台北古地圖考釋 (in Chinese). Taipei: 台北縣立文化中心. ISBN 9789570220841.
- "New Taipei City seeks Minsheng-Xizhi MRT". The China Post. Retrieved 28 June 2013.
- "Legal Notices." Acer Group. Retrieved on March 15, 2010. "8F, No. 88, Section 1, Hsin Tai Wu Road., Hsichih 221, Taipei Hsien, Taiwan."
- "Social Welfare Archived January 2, 2010, at the Wayback Machine." Acer Group. Retrieved on March 15, 2010. "Acer’s headquarter at Hsichih".
- "Taiwan Headquarters". Coiler Corporation. Retrieved 28 June 2013.
- "Offices". Lanner Electronics, Inc. Retrieved 28 June 2013.
- "Worldwide Offices". DFI. Archived from the original on June 15, 2013. Retrieved 28 June 2013.
- "Facilities | Garmin | United States". Gamin Ltd. Retrieved 28 June 2013.
- "matsusei.com.tw." (WHOIS) "Domain Name: matsusei.com.tw Registrant: 松青商業股份有限公司 Sung Ching Supermarket Commercial Co.,Ltd 23F., No.100, Sec. 1, Xintai 5th Rd., Xizhi Dist., New Taipei City 221 Taiwan 台北縣汐止市新台五路一段100號23樓"
- "Opportunities for Chilean Food Exports in Taiwan." Chilean Trade Office. November 2009. p. 199. Retrieved on October 25, 2012. "Company Name 松青超市 Matsusei Supermarket (under Wei Chuan Foods)" "Contact Information Add: 23F., No.100, Sec. 1, Xintai 5th Rd., Xizhi City, Taipei County Website: www.sungching.com.tw"
- Han Cheung (30 November 2019). "'Steeped' in family history". Taipei Times. Retrieved 3 December 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Xizhi District, New Taipei.|
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Xizhi.|
- Official website (in Chinese)