World 10K Bangalore
The World 10K Bengaluru (known as the TCS World 10K Bengaluru for sponsorship reasons by Tata Consultancy Services (TCS)) is an annual 10 kilometres road running competition which takes place in Bangalore, India. The competition was first held in 2008 and usually takes place in late May. The first three editions were sponsored by Sunfeast (ITC Limited).
|World 10K Bangalore|
The logo for World 10K Bengaluru
|Primary sponsor||Tata Consultancy Services|
|Course records||Men's: 27:44 (2014)|
Women's: 31:19 (2018)
|Official site||World 10K Bangalore|
The race, which is certified by AIMS-certified, begins and ends at the Sree Kanteerava Stadium, after looping through the roads of Bangalore. The different race categories at the event are – World 10K (participation restricted to International and National athletes), Open 10K (participation open to amateur runners), Majja Run (a 5.7 km run meant for fun runners), Senior Citizens’ Run (a 4.2 km run for Senior Citizens), and the Champions with Disability event (a 4.2 km event for persons with disability). In addition to this there also is a 10 km Corporate Champions category in which companies can field a team of 3 members and compete to achieve the best aggregate time.
The event is organised by Procam International, a sport and leisure management firm which is also responsible for the Mumbai Marathon and Delhi Half Marathon. There is a total prize pot of US$170,000 and race winners receive over $21,000 for their victories. Further significant prizes are offered to the best Indian competitors and teams.
The race is directed by former British runner Hugh Jones. A total of 23,000 runners participated in the various events that took place at the 2008 edition. The current men's course record is held by World Half Marathon champion Geoffery Kipsang Kamworor with a time of 0:27:44. Geoffery Kamworor set this new course record in the 2014 edition bettering Zersenay Tadese time of 27:51 set in the inaugural year of the event. The 2014 edition also saw a new course record in the Women’s category, set by Lucy Kabu in a time of 0:31:48. This was 10 seconds better than the previous best by Wude Ayalew set in 2010.
The 5th edition of the competition also offered incentives other than the prize money like Limited T-shirts which would be given away to the top 1500 finishers in the race.
The 10th edition was held on 2017 with Stephanie Rice as its event ambassador.
The 11th edition was held on 2018 with Mary Pierce as its event ambassador.
Key: Course record
|Edition||Year||Men's winner||Time (m:s)||Women's winner||Time (m:s)|
|1st||2008||Zersenay Tadese (ERI)||27:51|| Elvan Abeylegesse (TUR)
Grace Momanyi (KEN)
|2nd||2009||Deriba Merga (ETH)||28:13||Aselefech Mergia (ETH)||32:08|
|3rd||2010||Titus Mbishei (KEN)||27:54||Wude Ayalew (ETH)||31:58|
|4th||2011||Philemon Limo (KEN)||28:01||Dire Tune (ETH)||33:19|
|5th||2012||Geoffrey Kipsang (KEN)||28:00||Helah Kiprop (KEN)||32:22|
|6th||2013||Alex Oloitiptip (KEN)||28:07||Gladys Cherono (KEN)||32:03|
|7th||2014||Geoffrey Kipsang (KEN)||27:44||Lucy Kabuu (KEN)||31:48|
|8th||2015||Mosinet Geremew (ETH)||28:16||Mamitu Daska (ETH)||31:57|
|9th||2016||Mosinet Geremew (ETH)||28:36||Peres Jepchirchir (KEN)||32:15|
|10th||2017||Alex Korio (KEN)||28:12||Irene Cheptai (KEN)||31:51|
|11th||2018||Geoffrey Kamworor (KEN)||28:18||Agnes Tirop (KEN)||31:19|
|12th||2019||Andamlak Belihu (ETH)||27:56||Agnes Tirop (KEN)||33:55|
- Title sponsor: Tata Consultancy Services
- Channel partner: Star Sports
- Sports Goods partner: Asics
- Driven by: Tata Harrier
- Fashion partner: Jabong
- Timing partner: Seiko
- Recharge partner: Nature Valley
- Recovery partner: Volini
- Performance eye wear partner: Oakley
- Hydration partner: Bisleri
- Energy drink partner: Fast&Up
- Hospitality partner: ITC Windsor
- Medical partner: Fortis
- Print partner: The Times of India
- Radio partner: Radio Mirchi
- Philanthropy partner: India Cares Foundation
- Registration partner: Eventjini
- Domains and Online presence partner: GoDaddy
- Institution partner: HelpAge India
- Photo partner: Marathon Photos
- Institution partner: Harmony for Silvers Foundation
- Supported by: Phonographic Performance Limited, Intellectual property
- Under the aegis of: Athletics Federation of India
- Certified by: AIMS
- "10 Things you must know about TCS World 10K Marathon 2015". news.biharprabha.com. 16 May 2015. Retrieved 16 May 2015.
- AIMS Race Directory. Association of International Marathons and Distance Races. Retrieved on 2010-06-09.
- Krishnan, Ram. Murali (2008-05-18). Tadese the men’s 10km victor, while Abeylegesse and Momanyi share women’s spoils in Bangalore. IAAF. Retrieved on 2010-06-09.
- Krishnan, Ram. Murali (2009-05-31). Merga and Mergia take thrilling 10km victories in Bangalore. IAAF. Retrieved on 2010-06-09.
- IAAF Gold Label for Sunfeast World 10K Bangalore 2010 . India Times (2010-03-30). Retrieved on 2010-06-09.
- "Carl Lewis named Ambassador for Bangalore 10K run in May 2014". IANS. news.biharprabha.com. Retrieved 25 April 2014.
- "Mike Powell Named Event Ambassador for World 10K".