Geoffrey Kipsang Kamworor
Geoffrey Kipsang Kamworor (born 22 November 1992) is a Kenyan long-distance runner who competes in cross country, marathon, and half marathon races. He was the 2011 World Junior Cross Country Champion. Kipsang won the World Half marathon championships 3 times in a row from 2014-2018. In the World Cross Country championships he won in 2015 and 2017.
Kamworor at the 2018 Kenyan Cross Country Championships
|Born||November 22, 1992|
|Sport||Sport of athletics|
|Event(s)||5000 m, 10,000 m, Half marathon, Marathon|
|Team||NN Running Team|
He won his first World Marathon major the 2017 New York City Marathon.
Geoffrey was raised in the village of Chepkorio in Kenya's Rift Valley Province, he first competed abroad in 2010, when he travelled to Finland and set track bests of 3:48.15 minutes for the 1500 metres and 7:54.15 minutes over 3000 metres. The following year he took to the Kenya cross country circuit and won at the Discovery Kenya Cross Country in Eldoret, defeating Essa Ismail Rashed. At the Kenyan Cross Country Championships a month later, he ran in the junior section and finished in fourth, which was enough to earn him a place on the team for the 2011 IAAF World Cross Country Championships. The world competition proved to be a pivotal moment for Kipsang's career, although it was his teammate Isiah Kiplangat Koech who was the pre-race favourite. The Kenyans were not given any team instructions and Kipsang reacted by taking the lead immediately with a very fast start. He never slipped out of the lead and out ran the field on the final lap to take the world junior title.
A month after his cross country victory, he entered the Berlin Half Marathon and won in a time of 1:00:38 hours. In June he competed in the 2011 IAAF Diamond League circuit: he set a 5000 metres best of 13:12.23 minutes at the Adidas Grand Prix in New York, then improved his 10,000 metres time to 27:06.35 minutes at the Prefontaine Classic. He knocked over half a minute off his half marathon best to win the Lille Half Marathon that September. Kipsang was employed as a pacemaker for the 2011 Berlin Marathon and his work resulted in a new world record for Patrick Makau. In his final outing of the year he ended the Delhi Half Marathon as runner-up to Lelisa Desisa after a sprint finish, although his time of 59:31 minutes made him the seventh fastest over the distance that year.
Kipsang marked his entrance into the senior cross country ranks with a win at the 2012 Cross Internacional de Itálica in Seville. He was the runner-up at the Elgoibar Cross Country behind Paul Tanui the following week. He set a half marathon best at the CPC Loop Den Haag in March, recording a time of 59:26 minutes for fourth place in a high calibre competition. He was enlisted to pace the Rotterdam Marathon and led the runners quicker than the world record pace up to 30 km. He won the World 10K Bangalore title, beating a large field of prominent runners. His marathon debut, not as a pacemaker, came in September, where he ran a fast time of 2:06:12 hours to claim third place at the 2012 Berlin Marathon.
In the 2013 season he ran a series of half and full marathons. He won the Ras Al Khaimah Half Marathon with a time of 58:54, a new personal best and just two seconds outside the course record. He was the winner of the Bogotá Half Marathon in July and was runner-up to Atsedu Tsegay at the Delhi Half Marathon. He placed fourth at the Rotterdam Marathon (2:09:12 hours) and his best performance that year was a run of 2:06:26 hours for third at the 2013 Berlin Marathon.
In 2018 he won his third straight half marathon world championship in Valencia in 1:00:02. Also in 2018 Kworor placed third in the 2018 New York City Marathon with a time of 2:06:26 behind the first and second place Ethiopian runners Lelisa Desisa and Shura Kitata. Kworor's time in this competition was just over a tenth of a second off his personal best at this race distance.
- "World Cross Guiyang senior men Kamworor | iaaf.org". www.iaaf.org. Retrieved 4 May 2019.
- "Senior Race Result | IAAF World Cross Country Championships Kampala 2017 | iaaf.org". www.iaaf.org. Retrieved 4 May 2019.
- Minshull, Phil (20 March 2011). "Kipsang upsets the odds – Men's Junior Race Report – Punta Umbria 2011". IAAF. Retrieved 26 April 2016.
- Kipsang Geoffrey. IAAF Diamond League. Retrieved 16 January 2012.
- Macharia, David (24 January 2011). "Jepleting and Kipsang take Discovery Kenya XC titles in Eldoret". IAAF. Retrieved 26 April 2016.
- Mutuota, Mutwiri (19 February 2011). "Mutai and Masai take hard fought wins in Nairobi; reigning World champs Ebuya and Chebet won't defend". IAAF. Retrieved 26 April 2016.
- Wenig, Jörg (3 April 2011). "Teenagers triumph at Berlin Half Marathon". IAAF. Retrieved 26 April 2016.
- Civai, Franco & Lefeuvre, Thierry (6 September 2011). Lille Métropole Half Marathon. Association of Road Racing Statisticians. Retrieved 16 January 2012.
- Robinson, Roger (21 September 2011). "The Great Berlin Time Trial". Running Times. Runner's World. Retrieved 26 April 2016.
- Krishnan, Ram. Murali (27 November 2011). "In close races, Desisa and Kabuu prevail in New Delhi Half". IAAF. Retrieved 26 April 2016.
- "Men's Half Marathon 2011". IAAF. 3 January 2012. Archived from the original on 31 January 2012. Retrieved 16 January 2012.
- "Kamworor wins half marathon gold as Kenya dominates". 27 March 2016.
- Valiente, Emeterio (15 January 2012). "Kipsang and Masai reign in rainy Seville". IAAF. Retrieved 26 April 2016.
- Valiente, Emeterio (22 January 2012). "Tanui and Wude Yimer take the spoils at Elgoibar Cross Country". IAAF. Retrieved 26 April 2016.
- van Hemert, Wim (12 March 2012). "Five runners under 60 minutes in The Hague". IAAF. Retrieved 26 April 2016.
- van Hemert, Wim (15 April 2012). "Spectacular double Ethiopian success brings home 2:04 and 2:18 victories in Rotterdam". IAAF. Retrieved 26 April 2016.
- Krishnan, Ram. Murali (27 May 2012). "Kipsang and Kiprop lead Kenyan double podium sweep in Bangalore". IAAF. Retrieved 26 April 2016.
- Butcher, Pat (30 September 2012). "Close victory for Mutai but more straightforward for Kebede in Berlin – REPORT". IAAF. Retrieved 31 January 2013.
- Williamson, Norrie (15 February 2013). "Kabuu and Kipsang triumph in high-quality races at Ras al-Khaimah Half". IAAF. Retrieved 15 February 2013.
- Biscayart, Eduardo (28 July 2013). "Kipsang and Jeptoo win in Bogota". IAAF. Retrieved 29 July 2013.
- Mulkeen, Jon (15 February 2013). "Tsegay breaks course record at Delhi Half Marathon". IAAF. Retrieved 22 February 2014.
- Butcher, Pat (29 September 2013). "Kipsang sets World record of 2:03:23 at Berlin Marathon". IAAF. Retrieved 22 February 2014.
- "USA's Shalane Flanagan, Kenya's Geoffrey Kamworor, and Switzerland's Marcel Hug and Manuela Schär Win 2017 TCS New York City Marathon". The Run On. Retrieved 6 November 2017.
- "IAAF: Half Marathon Result | IAAF/Trinidad Alfonso World Half Marathon Championships Valencia 2018 | iaaf.org". iaaf.org. Retrieved 30 April 2018.
- "IAAF: Geoffrey KAMWOROR | Profile". iaaf.org. Retrieved 2 May 2018.