Within the Realm of a Dying Sun
This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Within the Realm of a Dying Sun is the third studio album by the band Dead Can Dance. It was released on 27 July 1987 by record label 4AD.
|Within the Realm of a Dying Sun|
|Studio album by Dead Can Dance|
|Released||27 July 1987|
|Recorded||April–May 1987 at Woodbine Studios, Warwickshire, England|
|Genre||Neoclassical dark wave, dark wave, modern classical, dark ambient|
|Producer||Brendan Perry, Lisa Gerrard, John A. Rivers|
|Dead Can Dance chronology|
On the sound of the album, the group commented, "We realised we had been limiting our musical visions [before], relying around guitar, bass and drums. These instruments weren't adequate to express a lot of the things we were hearing". On the making of the album, 4AD label owner Ivo Watts-Russell commented, "I think the relationship between them and [producer] John Rivers was at its peak with [Within the Realm of a Dying Sun]. It's probably my favourite record of theirs".
Gerrard's vocals featured prominently on the second half of the album, and her singing style often had mellifluous oriental overtones, especially on "Cantara".
American pop singer Fergie sampled "Dawn of the Iconoclast" for her song "Hungry" featuring Rick Ross, featured on her 2017 album, Double Dutchess. The song interpolates the chant with hip-hop beats and vocals from both artists.
|1.||"Anywhere Out of the World"||5:08|
|3.||"In the Wake of Adversity"||4:14|
|1.||"Dawn of the Iconoclast"||2:06|
|3.||"Summoning of the Muse"||4:55|
|4.||"Persephone (The Gathering of Flowers)"||6:36|
|Australia||27 July 1987|
|United States||8 February 1994|
- Dead Can Dance
- Lisa Gerrard – vocals (5,6,7,8), all other instruments, production
- Brendan Perry – vocals (1,3,4), all other instruments, production, sleeve design
- Additional personnel
- Peter Ulrich – timpani, military snare
- Ruth Watson – oboe
- Gus Ferguson – cello
- Tony Gamage – cello
- John Singleton – trombone
- Richard Avison – trombone
- Andrew Claxton – bass trombone, tuba
- Mark Gerrard – trumpet
- Piero Gasparini – viola
- Alison Harling – violin
- Emlyn Singleton – violin
- John A. Rivers – production, engineering
- Francisco Cabeza – engineering
- Bernard Oudin – sleeve photography
- "deadcan-dance.com". dead-can-dance.com. Retrieved 2013-02-19.
- The Goth Bible: A Compendium for the Darkly Inclined by Nancy Kilpatrick
- Raggett, Ned. "Within the Realm of a Dying Sun – Dead Can Dance : Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards : AllMusic". Allmusic. Retrieved 2013-10-18.
- Within the Realm of a Dying Sun information at the band's official website
- Within the Realm of a Dying Sun at MusicBrainz (list of releases)
|This world music album-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|