Wisconsin's 15th State Senate district
The 15th Senate District of Wisconsin is one of 33 districts in the Wisconsin State Senate. Located in southern Wisconsin, the district comprises western Rock County, southeast Green County, and parts of southeast Dane County, Southwest Jefferson County, and northwest Walworth County. It includes most of the city of Janesville and the western part of the city of Beloit, as well as the cities of Brodhead, Edgerton, Evansville, Milton, and Whitewater.
State Senate district
0.2% Native American
• Voting age
Current elected officialsEdit
Janis Ringhand is the senator representing the 15th district. She was first elected in the 2014 general election and is now in her second four-year term. She previously represented Janesville in the Wisconsin State Assembly from 2011 to 2015.
Each Wisconsin State Senate district is composed of three Wisconsin State Assembly districts. The 15th Senate district comprises the 43rd, 44th, and 45th Assembly districts. The current representatives of those districts are:
- Assembly District 43: Don Vruwink (D–Milton)
- Assembly District 44: Sue S. Conley (D–Janesville)
- Assembly District 45: Mark Spreitzer (D–Beloit)
The 15th Senate district, in its current borders, crosses three different congressional districts. The portion of the district in Jefferson County, and the city of Whitewater, which is partly in Walworth County, falls within Wisconsin's 5th congressional district, which is represented by U.S. Representative Scott L. Fitzgerald; the remainder of Walworth County and the cities of Janesville and Milton and the eastern part of Rock County fall within Wisconsin's 1st congressional district, which is represented by U.S. Representative Bryan Steil; the remainder of the district, in Dane, Green, and Rock counties, falls within Wisconsin's 2nd congressional district, which is represented by U.S. Representative Mark Pocan.
The district has previously been represented by:
Note: the boundaries of districts have changed repeatedly over history. Previous politicians of a specific numbered district have represented a completely different geographic area, due to redistricting.
|District created||1848||Rock County|
|Levi Sterling||Whig||6th||1853||Iowa and Richland counties|
|Lemuel W. Joiner||Rep.||10th||1857|
|Lemuel W. Joiner||Rep.||14th||1861|
|George L. Frost||Dem.||16th||1863|
|Wyman Lincoln||Natl. Union||18th||1865|
|Joel Whitman||Natl. Union||20th||1867|
|Lemuel W. Joiner||Rep.||22nd||1869|
|Carl H. Schmidt||Dem.||26th||1873|
|38th||1887–1888||Kewaunee and Manitowoc counties|
|William F. Nash||Dem.||Won 1888 special election.||39th||1889–1890|
|41st||1893–1894||Calumet and Manitowoc counties|
|Samuel W. Randolph||Dem.||46th||1903–1904|
|Alva Garey||Rep.||56th||1923–1924||Rock County|
|George W. Blanchard||Rep.||Resigned 1933 after election to U.S. House.||58th||1927–1928|
|Alexander Paul||Dem.||Won 1933 special election.|
|Robert P. Robinson||Rep.||66th||1943–1944|
|Peter P. Carr||Rep.||72nd||1955–1956|
|77th||1965–1966||Walworth County and|
|George M. Borg||Rep.||Resigned Aug. 1967.||78th||1967–1968|
|James D. Swan||Rep.||Won 1967 special election.|
|81st||1973–1974||Most of Walworth County|
|Timothy Cullen||Dem.||Resigned 1987 after appointed Secretary of Wisconsin Department of Health Services.||82nd||1975–1976|
|86th||1983–1984||Most of Walworth County|
|87th||1985–1986||Most of Walworth County|
|Timothy Weeden||Rep.||Won 1987 special election.|
Most Walworth County
Most of Rock County
|101st||2013–2014||Most of Rock County|
Southeast Green County
Southeast Dane County
Southwest Jefferson County
- 2011 Wisconsin Act 43 and 44 with Baldus et al vs. Brennan et al by Municipal Ward (PDF) (Report). Wisconsin Legislative Reference Bureau. October 18, 2012. pp. 99–105. Retrieved January 30, 2021.
- Wisconsin Legislative District Health Profile - Senate District 15 (PDF) (Report). University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health. 2018. Retrieved January 30, 2021.
- "Senate District 15". Wisconsin Legislature. Retrieved March 9, 2021.
- "Wisconsin Legislative Districts - Senate District 15 Boundaries". Wisconsin Legislature. Retrieved March 9, 2021.
- "Senator Janis A. Ringhand". Wisconsin Legislature. Retrieved March 9, 2021.
- Wisconsin Blue Book, 2011-12 edition, page 48. ISBN 978-0-9752820-1-4.
- "State of Wisconsin Congressional Districts" (PDF). Wisconsin Legislature. Retrieved March 7, 2021.
- Wisconsin Blue Book, 1991-92 edition, Statistics: History, pages 657-666.