Wikipedia talk:Wikipedia Signpost/2021-02-28/News and notes
There are no discussions on this page.
Return to the project page "Wikipedia Signpost/2021-02-28/News and notes".
- In my view, Maher did a great job. There will always be some disagreements between the WMF and Wikimedians, but on the whole her tenure was productive and effective. Can only hope her replacement is equally committed to the idea of Wikipedia. Ganesha811 (talk) 21:38, 28 February 2021 (UTC)
- I honestly can't think of anything she's done for the other non-Wikipedia projects. They're just as ostracized as before. ~★ nmaia d 23:44, 28 February 2021 (UTC)
- Maher's tenure will always be a mixed bag. Most editors will probably remember FRAMBAN when they think of her, though things were mostly smooth the first few years she was here. I think she chose the right time to leave. UCOC was controversial idea, and its probably for the better that a new executive director will have the chance to shape its implementation. -Indy beetle (talk) 23:53, 28 February 2021 (UTC)
- She's been a particularly good spokesperson when representing the projects to a non-wiki audience. I saw her speak and answer questions at Melbourne Knowledge week back in 2017 and she did a good job of advocating for the movement and community to an audience that was still relatively suspicious of the concepts. T.Shafee(Evo&Evo)talk 04:39, 1 March 2021 (UTC)
- I don't have an opinion either way, but I wish her well. Regarding the image up above, Carlos Figueroa is a great photographer. I would like to see more from him. Viriditas (talk) 07:57, 6 March 2021 (UTC)
- The strangest thing about Maher to me was hiring Victoria Coleman as CTO. Why was a DARPA official who had built surveillance circuitry into Intel coprocessors after being involved in privacy scandals considered a good choice? Coleman went off to a NGO nominally about Africa, and then on to lead DARPA until the end of the Trump administration, and now is back at the NGO. 2601:647:4D00:2C40:5DE9:6342:9B8:27CC (talk) 19:27, 9 March 2021 (UTC)
- Maher did a very good job as a roving ambassador for the WMF and was certainly a good talker and understood Wikipedia policies, but she obviously got bored with being grounded. She was probably not so good at engaging in day-to-day management tasks in the way that the community expected her to be, but to go by her talk page, perhaps she didn't consider ground control as part of her brief - and maybe in fact it wasn't, and it left D/B Level running around with no practical guidance and making up their own rules on an ad hoc basis. Kudpung กุดผึ้ง (talk) 11:25, 17 March 2021 (UTC)
- Despite some of her questionable decisions at WMF, I still respect Maher and wishing her all the best.--Vulphere 05:58, 21 March 2021 (UTC)