What a Wonderful Family! (家族はつらいよ, Kazoku wa Tsurai yo) is a 2016 Japanese comedy film directed by Yoji Yamada and starring Isao Hashizume, Kazuko Yoshiyuki, Masahiko Nishimura, Yui Natsukawa, Tomoko Nakajima, Hayashiya Shōzō IX, Satoshi Tsumabuki and Yū Aoi. It was released in Japan by Shochiku on March 12, 2016. The film uses the same cast as Yamada's 2013 film Tokyo Family.
|What a Wonderful Family!|
|Directed by||Yoji Yamada|
|Starring||Isao Hashizume |
Hayashiya Shōzō IX
|Box office||¥173 million|
A husband (Isao Hashizume) and wife (Kazuko Yoshiyuki) have been married for 50 years. For her birthday, the husband asks the wife what she wants for her birthday present. She replies that she wants a divorce. The wife's divorce announcement sends the entire family into chaos. Their children are thrown into a state of panic to hear this news of separation. Amid the sudden tumult of life, each member of the family begins to voice out their respective grievances.
On its opening weekend in Japan, the film was fourth placed, with 151,422 admissions and ¥173 million in gross.
Two sequels have been made from the film, featuring the same cast and characters: What a Wonderful Family! 2 (家族はつらいよ2, Kazoku wa Tsurai yo 2) (released 27 May 2017) and What a Wonderful Family! 3: My Wife, My Life (妻よ薔薇のように 家族はつらいよIII, Tsuma yo, Bara no yo ni: Kazoku wa Tsurai yo 3) (released 25 May 2018).
In December 2016 it was confirmed that the film would be remade in China, under a co-production between Edko and Shanghai Yiyantang Entertainment. The remake was directed by Huang Lei, who co-starred alongside his wife Sun Li.
- ^ a b "家族はつらいよ(2016)". allcinema (in Japanese). Stingray. Retrieved March 21, 2016.
- ^ "家族はつらいよ". eiga.com (in Japanese). Retrieved March 21, 2016.
- ^ "Japan Box Office Report – 3/12~3/13". tokyohive. 6Theory Media, LLC. March 15, 2016. Retrieved March 21, 2016.
- ^ "'What A Wonderful Family! 2': Film Review Hawaii 2017". The Hollywood Reporter. 13 December 2017. Retrieved 15 April 2018.
- ^ "'What a Wonderful Family! 3: My Wife, My Life': Film Review Hong Kong 2018". The Hollywood Reporter. 5 April 2018. Retrieved 15 April 2018.
- ^ "China's Edko to Remake Yamada Yoji's 'What a Wonderful Family!'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2017-05-22.
- Official website (in Japanese)
- What a Wonderful Family! at IMDb