Western Avenue (Los Angeles)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Western Avenue is a major four-lane street in the city of Los Angeles (west of Downtown) and through the center portion of Los Angeles County, California. It is one of the longest north–south streets in Los Angeles city and county, apart from Sepulveda Boulevard. It is about 29 miles (47 km) long. The avenue is known for prostitution, primarily between Melrose Avenue and 2nd Street.
|Location||Los Angeles, California|
Western Avenue passes through a large diversity of residential neighborhoods in Los Angeles County. From the south, where it transitions into Paseo Del Mar near White Point and the Pacific Ocean, it begins in San Pedro, then passes though Rancho Palos Verdes, Harbor City, Gardena and South Los Angeles. It is also the easternmost border of Torrance.
Around the Pico Boulevard, Olympic Boulevard, and Wilshire Boulevard intersections, Western Avenue passes through Koreatown. Further north, Western Avenue passes through the East Hollywood district. Around the Santa Monica Boulevard, Sunset Boulevard, and Hollywood Boulevard intersections, it passes through the East Hollywood neighborhoods of Little Armenia and Thai Town.
The northern terminus of Western is north of Franklin Avenue in the Los Feliz district, at the base of the Hollywood Hills. The road curves east becoming Los Feliz Boulevard, a major east/west thoroughfare through Los Feliz to the Golden State Freeway and from there into the city of Glendale.
Another Western Avenue begins north of Griffith Park and is located in the San Fernando Valley area of Glendale. Its southwest terminus is nearly due north of where Los Angeles' Western Avenue transitions into Los Feliz Boulevard.
The street derives its name from its history as the western–most border of Los Angeles city limits in the 19th century, before annexations in the early 20th century expanded the city westward and onwards.
Metro subway and at-grade stationsEdit
Western Avenue is served by three metro Los Angeles Metro Rail stations:
- Hollywood Boulevard on the Red Line
- Wilshire Boulevard on the Purple Line
- Exposition Boulevard on the Expo Line
- Metro Local lines 205 and 207, in addition to Metro Rapid line 757 and Gardena Transit line 2 operate on Western Avenue.
- Metro local lines 207 and 757 run between Hollywood Boulevard and Imperial Highway.
- Gardena Line 2: between Imperial Highway and Pacific Coast Highway
- Metro line 205 between Pacific Coast Highway and 1st Street in San Pedro.
- Folven, Edwin (2 February 2012). "Cops Crack Down on Western Avenue Prostitution". Park Labrea News/ Beverly Press. Retrieved 27 January 2019.
- Morse, Chuck (2017-12-19). "MIXED FEELINGS AT EL CHOLO, L.A.'S ORIGINAL 'SPANISH' CAFÉ". L.A. Taco. Retrieved 2019-03-22.
- Shindler, Merrill (February 2001). "Comfort Food". Los Angeles Business Journal.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Western Avenue (Los Angeles).|