We Joined the Navy
We Joined the Navy is a 1962 British comedy film directed by Wendy Toye and starring Kenneth More, Lloyd Nolan, Joan O'Brien, Derek Fowlds, Graham Crowden, Esma Cannon and John Le Mesurier. Produced by Daniel M. Angel, it was based on the novel of the same name by John Winton a former Royal Navy lieutenant commander.
|We Joined the Navy|
|Directed by||Wendy Toye|
|Produced by||Daniel Angel|
|Music by||Ron Grainer|
Dial [Angel Productions]
Associated British Picture Corporation
|Distributed by||Warner-Pathé Distributors|
|29 November 1962 (London premiere)|
Lieutenant Commander Robert Badger is an excellent naval officer with one major problem. He speaks the truth at the most inopportune times that lead him to being transferred from ship, to shore, and then to instruct at the Royal Naval College. When his remarks are repeated by one of his students to his father, an anti-military Member of Parliament he has one last chance. He and three problem midshipmen are sent as exchange officers to the flagship of the United States Sixth Fleet. Their antics set back Anglo-American relations until they go ashore to a nation in a midst of a revolution.
- Kenneth More as Lieutenant Commander Robert Badger
- Lloyd Nolan as Vice Admiral Ryan
- Joan O'Brien as Lieutenant Carol Blair
- Mischa Auer as Colonel & President
- Jeremy Lloyd as Dewberry Jr.
- Dinsdale Landen as Bowles
- Derek Fowlds as Carson
- Denise Warren as Collette
- John Le Mesurier as George Dewberry Sr.
- Lally Bowers as Mrs. Cynthia Dewberry, his wife
- Laurence Naismith as Admiral Blake
- Andrew Cruickshank as Admiral Filmer
- Walter Fitzgerald as Admiral Thomas
- John Phillips as Rear Admiral
- Ronald Leigh-Hunt as Commander Royal Navy
- Arthur Lovegrove as Chief Petty Officer Froud
- Brian Wilde as Petty Officer Gibbons
- David Warner as Sailor Painting Ship
- John Barrard as Consul
- Sean Kelly as Sinjett
- Marie France as Francoise
- Alexis Kanner as Gerrit
- Warren Mitchell as 'Honest' Marcel
- Kenneth Griffith as Orator
- Neil McCarthy as the Sergeant
- Tutte Lemkow as the Corporal
- Dirk Bogarde as Dr Simon Sparrow (Cameos appearance Uncredited)
A Region 2 DVD of We Joined the Navy was released by Network on 16 February 2015. The disc features a 2.35:1 anamorphic transfer.
- Kenneth More, More or Less, London: Hodder & Stoughton, 1978, p.188
|This article related to a British comedy film of the 1960s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|