Neil McCarthy (actor)
Eugene Neil McCarthy (26 July 1932 – 6 February 1985). was an English actor known for his dramatic physical appearance caused by acromegaly. He was also a gifted linguist and pianist.
McCarthy in 1978
|Born||26 July 1932|
Lincoln, Lincolnshire, England
|Died||6 February 1985 (aged 52)|
Born in Lincoln, Lincolnshire, the son of dentist Eugene Charles McCarthy (1899-1954) and Beatrice Annie née Corney(1901-1978), McCarthy was educated at Stamford School and Trinity College, Dublin and trained as a teacher.
McCarthy's film credits include memorable roles as a Welsh soldier in Zulu (1964), as Sergeant Jock McPherson in Where Eagles Dare (1967), as Joe Gargery in Charles Dickens - Great Expectations, (1968), as Gates in The Ruffians (1973), as the villain Calibos in Clash of the Titans (1981) and as a robber in Time Bandits (1981). His television credits include: Man of the World, Danger Man, The Avengers, The Saint, Z-Cars, Dixon of Dock Green, Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased), Catweazle, My Wife Next Door (A Sense of Movement), Softly, Softly: Taskforce, Department S, Who Pays the Ferryman?, Return of the Saint, Doctor Who (in the serials The Mind of Evil and The Power of Kroll), Enemy at the Door, Shogun, The Professionals, Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em, Only When I Laugh, The Gentle Touch and Emmerdale Farm, and the television adaptation of the Lord Peter Wimsey novel, The Nine Tailors.
- Breakout (1959) - Chandler's henchman (uncredited)
- Sands of the Desert (1960) - Hassan
- The Criminal (1960) - O'Hara
- Offbeat (1961) - Leo Farrell
- Solo for Sparrow (1962) - Dusty
- The Pot Carriers (1962) - Bracket
- We Joined the Navy (1962) - Sergeant
- Two Left Feet (1963) - Ted (uncredited)
- The Cracksman (1963) - Van Gogh
- Zulu (1964) - Private Thomas
- The Hill (1965) - Burton
- Cuckoo Patrol (1967) - Superman No.2
- Great Expectations (1967) - Joe Gargery (TV mini-series)
- Seven Times Seven (1968) - Mr. Docherty
- Where Eagles Dare (1968) - Sgt. Jock MacPherson
- Follow Me! (1972) - Parkinson
- The Zoo Robbery (1973) - Skipper
- Steptoe and Son Ride Again (1973) - Lennie
- Operation Daybreak (1975) - Man at Quarry (uncredited)
- Side by Side (1975) - Alf (uncredited)
- Fern, the Red Deer (1976) - Poacher
- Trial by Combat (1976) - Ben Willoughby
- The Incredible Sarah (1976) - Sergeant
- Shōgun (1980) - Spillbergen
- George and Mildred (1980) - Eddie
- The Monster Club (1980) - Watson - B-Squad Member
- Clash of the Titans (1981) - Calibos
- Time Bandits (1981) - 2nd Robber
- "McCARTHY, Neil" BFI Film & TV Database. Retrieved 2 July 2012.
- "Neil McCarthy birth GRO index entry". FreeBMD. ONS. Retrieved 18 August 2019.
- "Neil McCarthy gravestone". FindAGrave. Retrieved 18 August 2019.
- Stampede, Pete. "Neil McCarthy". The Avengers Forever. Retrieved 29 January 2014.
- "McCarthy-Corney marriage GRO index entry". FreeBMD. ONS. Retrieved 18 August 2019.
- "E McCarthy birth GRO index entry". FreeBMD. ONS. Retrieved 18 August 2019.
- "E McCarthy GRO death index entry". FreeBMD. ONS. Retrieved 18 August 2019.
- "B Corney birth GRO index entry". FreeBMD. ONS. Retrieved 18 August 2019.
- "B McCarthy GRO death index entry". FreeBMD. ONS. Retrieved 18 August 2019.
- Who's Who on Television, Independent Television Publications Ltd 1970
- "Neil McCarthy - Movies and Filmography - AllMovie". AllMovie.
- "Send in the Clowns - The Yo Yo Life of Ian Hendry".
- "Great Expectations". Retrieved 8 June 2019 – via www.imdb.com.