Vitória do Jari
Vitória do Jari (Portuguese pronunciation: [viˈtɔɾi.ɐ du ʒaˈɾi]), (Jari's Victory) is a municipality located in the southernmost tip of the state of Amapá in Brazil. Its population is 16,254 and its area is 2,509 km2 (969 sq mi). Vitória do Jari has a population density of 5.9 inhabitants per square kilometer. The town is located on the Jari River on the other side of Munguba, and was originally called Beiradinho.
Vitória do Jari
|The Municipality of Vitória do Jari|
Location of Vitória do Jari in the State of Amapá
|Founded||8 September 1994|
|• Mayor||Raimundo de Alcimar Ney de Souza (PT)|
|• Total||2,509 km2 (969 sq mi)|
|Elevation||3 m (10 ft)|
|• Density||6.5/km2 (17/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC−3 (BRT)|
|HDI (2000)||0.659 – medium|
The town started as a shanty town for the Jari project. It was originally called Beiradinho. People in the informal economy who worked in Munguba could not afford housing in the Munguba or Monte Dourado. In 1994, the town was renamed Vitória do Jari and became an independent municipality.
Jarilândia is the location where Gmelina arborea was planted on a large scale for the pulp industry as part of the Jari project. In 1969, planting began, but soon the trees failed to grow. The project was cancelled in 1982.
- "Vitória do Jari" (in Portuguese). Brasília, Brazil: Instituto Brasileiro de Geografia e Estatística. 2016. Retrieved 29 October 2016.
-  UNDP
- IBGE 2020
- "Vitória do Jari". Amapá Digital (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2 April 2021.
- "Informações da Comarca de Vitória do Jarí". Tribunal de Justiça do Estado do Amapá (in Portuguese). Retrieved 3 April 2021.
- Neila Soares da Silva (2008). Like a Murure: Social Change in a Terra-Firme Community on the Amazon Estuary (PDF) (Thesis). University of Florida. p. 57.
- RESEX do Rio Cajari (in Portuguese), ISA: Instituto Socioambiental, retrieved 6 November 2016
- "Vitória do Jari". Government of Amapá (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2 April 2021.
- A. GREAVES (1979). "GMELINA – LARGE SCALE PLANTING, JARILANDIA, AMAZON BASIN". The Commonwealth Forestry Review.
- "Daniel Ludwig, Billionaire Businessman, Dies at 95". New York Times. Retrieved 1 April 2021.