Veldhoven (Dutch pronunciation: [ˈvɛltˌɦoːvə(n)] (listen)) is a municipality and a town on the Gender stream in the southern Netherlands, located in the Metropoolregio Eindhoven just southwest of Eindhoven.
Church in Veldhoven
Location in North Brabant
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Letty Demmers-van der Geest (acting) (D66)|
|• Total||31.89 km2 (12.31 sq mi)|
|• Land||31.69 km2 (12.24 sq mi)|
|• Water||0.20 km2 (0.08 sq mi)|
|Elevation||22 m (72 ft)|
|• Density||1,431/km2 (3,710/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
Dutch topographic map of Veldhoven (town), Dec. 2013
The modern town of Veldhoven is an agglomeration of formerly rural villages that in the twentieth century grew together to form one large suburban area catering to Eindhoven commuter needs. The villages are Veldhoven proper to the southwest, Meerveldhoven to the southeast, Oerle to the west and Zeelst to the northeast. A new city center was constructed between Zeelst and Veldhoven.
Veldhoven is home to the headquarters of the manufacturer of high-tech (semiconductor) lithography equipment ASML. ASML occupies the tallest building (83 meters) in Veldhoven. The municipality features a large industrial and office area along the Gender, which also includes the second-largest hospital in the Eindhoven urban region, Máxima Medisch Centrum.
Veldhoven Centrum has 113 commercial shops with famous brands covering food restaurants, daily groceries, fashion products, Jewelry and banks. The Centrum has services such as Library Veldhoven, Municipality of Veldhoven, Trigion security City and VVV Veldhoven. The Veldhoven shops open at 11 AM every Monday. The Centrum has Week Market every Monday for fruit and produce.
The current town council of Veldhoven was elected at the Dutch 2018 local elections.
Eindhoven Airport is located nearby Veldhoven on the border with Eindhoven in subdivision Meerhoven and is situated on the A2 and A67 motorways. Veldhoven is not connected to the Dutch railway system; nearby Eindhoven is.
- Jan Cornelius van Sambeek (1886 in Veldhoven - 1966 in Kabanga) a Dutch White Fathers missionary in Tanganyika
- Marius van Amelsvoort (1930 – 2006 in Veldhoven) a Dutch politician and diplomat
- Hendricus Stoof (born 1962 in Veldhoven) a professor of theoretical physics at Utrecht University
- Raoul van Grinsven (born 1974) stage name DJ Zany, a disc jockey, owns Fusion Records, lives in Veldhoven
- Jessy Seuntiens (born 1980 in Oerle) stage name Jesselyn, is a Dutch DJ
- Teun Luijkx (born 1986 in Veldhoven) a Dutch actor
- Toon Geurts (1932 in Veldhoven – 2017) a Dutch sprint canoer, silver medallist at the 1964 Summer Olympics
- Paco van Moorsel (born 1989 in Veldhoven) a Dutch footballer with 280 club caps
- Henrieke Goorhuis (born 1990 in Veldhoven) a Dutch cartoonist and illustrator
- Milou van der Heijden (born 1990 in Veldhoven) a professional squash player
- "Burgemeester" [Mayor] (in Dutch). Gemeente Veldhoven. Retrieved 6 June 2014.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten 2020" [Key figures for neighbourhoods 2020]. StatLine (in Dutch). CBS. 24 July 2020. Retrieved 19 September 2020.
- "Postcodetool for 5501KA". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 6 June 2014.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 1 January 2019. Retrieved 1 January 2019.
- Jos & Cor Swanenberg: Taal in stad en land: Oost-Brabants, ISBN 9012090105
- NRC Handelsblad (2002) Gemeenteraadsverkiezingen 6 maart 2002 Veldhoven
- Gemeente Veldhoven (2006) Uitslag verkiezingen Archived 2008-09-08 at the Wayback Machine
- Volkskrant (2010)Uitslagen verkiezingen Gemeenteraad 2010
- Website Veldhoven (2014)Uitslagen verkiezingen Gemeenteraad 2014
- IMDb Database retrieved 24 December 2019