This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (December 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Videsh Sanchar Nigam Limited (VSNL)|
|Traded as||BSE: 500483|
|Founder||Government of India|
|Headquarters||Pune, Maharashtra, India|
|Vinod Kumar (CEO & MD)|
|Revenue||₹17,095 crore (US$2.5 billion) (2018)|
|₹-328.60 crore (US$−48 million) (2018)|
Number of employees
Its telecommunications network spans more than 500,000 km of subsea fibre and more than 210,000 km of terrestrial fibre. The company has invested $1.19 billion in its global subsea fibre network. It delivers network services and software-defined network platforms, such as Ethernet, SD-WAN, Content delivery network (CDN), Internet, Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) and Private Line. It has more than 400 Points of Presence (POP) globally with data centre and colocation in 44 sites.
The company is headquartered in Mumbai and is listed on the Bombay Stock Exchange and the National Stock Exchange of India. It also holds a stake on its Sri Lankan subsidiaries, Tata Communications Lanka.
The company is listed as one of AON Hewitt's Best Employers in India for 2017.
The business was founded as Videsh Sanchar Nigam Limited (VSNL) in 1986. VSNL is credited to have brought internet into the country. In 2002, after the Government of India decided to divest its shareholding, Tata Group acquired a 45% stake in VSNL. The international arm of VSNL, VSNL International, was launched in 2004. VSNL was completely acquired by the Tata Group and renamed as Tata Communications on 13 February 2008.
Tata communications global networkEdit
In 2009, Tata Communications and Tyco Telecommunications completed the TGN-Intra Asia cable system.
In 2012, the company completed its network across Egypt linking Europe to India, creating a subsea fibre network that circumnavigates the world. The 9,280 km Eurasian section of the Tata Global Network runs across the Mediterranean Sea and the Middle East, connecting Mumbai with Marseilles, providing a low-latency connection with a round-trip delay of 92 msec, and speeds of between 2Mbit/s and 10Gbit/s.
In January 2016, Windstream Communications announced it was extending its 100 Gigabit Ethernet (100G) network from New Jersey data center operator NJFX's presence at Tata's Cable Landing Station (CLS) in Wall Township, N.J., to Ashburn, Virginia's Internet hub, estimated to be the hub for 70 percent of the world's Internet traffic.
Network and connectivity servicesEdit
Its Global Network provides flexible bandwidth options from 2MB up to 10,000MB using Fast-E, Gig-E, and 10 Gig-E. Its Ethernet services include: Global Dedicated Ethernet, External Ethernet Network-to-Network Interface, Low Latency Ethernet and Ethernet Over MPLS.
Ethernet over MPLS is a high-performance, global MPLS backbone that streams audio video, live broadcasts, and IP services with the scalability and security of a private network.
Its Ethernet services are certified by the MEF—a worldwide non-profit organization dedicated to improving carrier-class Ethernet products and services.
Tata Communications International Private Line offers customers a variety of routing, uptime, and service options for its customers global communications. It delivers voice, video and data connectivity built on its subsea cable network, including a fibre optic ring, and more than 20 consortium cables covering 300,000 km over 200 countries and territories.
Content delivery networkEdit
Tata Communications has a data centre network located in 44 locations worldwide. Tata Communications data centres meet international standards for redundancy, and are integrated directly with its global IP network. Its collocation services provide regulated power, cooling and physical security for the server, storage and networking equipment. In May 2016, in order to redeploy capital in other areas of its business, Tata Communications sold a 74% stake in its data centre business to Singapore Technologies Telemedia. Tata communications has more than 10,000 racks and one million square feet of Data center space.
Tata Communications delivers a portfolio of Unified Communication and Collaboration (UCC) solutions[buzzword] worldwide. These services include: Global SIP Connect, Unified Conferencing, Unified Communications as a Service (UCaaS) and Hosted contact centre.
Global SIP connectEdit
In January 18, 2016, Tata Communications launched a white-label Unified Communications solution[buzzword] called Global SIP Connect. This solution[buzzword] was designed to address the voice requirements of its enterprise customers, while simultaneously expanding its Unified Communications portfolio. The SIP Trunking solution[buzzword], enables its service provider customers to consolidate and manage voice services, while providing all global on-net and off-net voice services to link their businesses globally.
Unified communications as a service (UCaaS)Edit
Tata Communications Unified Communications as a Service (UCaaS) integrates and works with other service provider solutions[buzzword] including Microsoft and Cisco. Its global UC services on the Microsoft Skype for Business platform provide a solution[buzzword] including conferencing, online meetings, instant messaging, voice and video.
Hosted contact centre (InstaCC)Edit
Tata Communications InstaCC was launched at Enterprise Connect 2015 in Orlando on March 16, 2015. The UCC solution[buzzword] includes a series of outbound and Omni-channel communications, enabling its customers to quickly establish contact and call centres.
In October 2014, Tata Communications launched its IZO platform, “a global network platform for enhanced hybrid cloud enablement”. Tata Communications IZO Platform brings together 20+ cloud providers, two large cloud platforms and 50+ data centres, that its customers can interconnect with.
IZO Internet WANEdit
Tata Communications IZO Internet WAN is a global-internet-based WAN service. This service can be integrated with Tata Communications Global VPN solution[buzzword] to build a global hybrid network. IZO Internet WAN reaches 42 countries, 700+ cities, over 1 million buildings and covers 85% of the world’s GDP.
IZO private connectEdit
IZO Private Connect links businesses to leading cloud service providers including Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, Office 365 and Salesforce.com. Its customers can connect using MPLS or Ethernet and gain access to Ethernet connectivity to Tata Communications’ data centres and across 50 third party data centres globally.
IZO public connectEdit
IZO Public Connect is a cloud enablement service that provides a route for Tata Communications’ enterprise customers by tagging their data packets for pre-determined delivery over the public internet.
In November 2016, Tata Communications launched its new addition to the IZO platform, IZO SDWAN. The solution[buzzword], delivered as a managed service, combines IZO WAN with software-defined and virtualised network technologies in 130+ countries. IZO SDWAN cloud service gateways are built next to cloud service providers in 20 locations across the globe.
Tata Communications offers a range of services and solutions[buzzword] for enterprises in all segments of media and entertainment, including gaming, hospitality, sports, leisure, education, news, music, cable and broadcasting.
In April 2015, Tata Communications launched its Media Ecosystem, to drive innovation throughout broadcast. The ecosystem combines traditional video contribution services with IP-connectivity. Services include: asset management, workflow management, channel origination, internet contribution feeds, OTT platform and transcoding as a service.
Tata Communications offers a complete array of managed security services, that provides enterprise customers with 24x7x365 protection from attacks. Its managed security offering includes firewalls, threat management, intrusion detection and prevention, DDoS detection and mitigation, email security, vulnerability testing and management.
Tata Communications offers a fraud prevention toolkit to identify and proactively prevent fraudulent call activity. The toolkit uses technologies including big data, analytics, machine learning, crowd sourcing, real-time monitoring, subscriber alerts and automated reporting.
The toolkit monitors 30 million calls per day for fraud, and blocks over 400,000 fraudulent calls every day. When the fraud fighting toolkit identifies a fraudulent call, Tata Communications blocks the number across its entire network.
Tata Communications combined its Diameter Signalling eXchange (DSX) platform with its IPX Connect service to offer its customers 3G/4G roaming. It provides a complete solution[buzzword] for LTE roaming migration, supporting 2G, 3G and 4G roaming within one framework. This framework addresses signalling, routing, inter-working, transport, clearing, settlement, business intelligence, security and service assurance.
With an on-net signalling network, directly connecting 300 mobile network operators and with reach to 900+ mobile network operators, Tata Communication’s interconnects mobile ecosystem players for messaging and roaming.
Its signalling services can be delivered over a number of network options including TDM, IP, Global VPN and IPX Connect (SCCP over IPX). Also supported is signalling evolution from SCCP to Diameter, ready for IMS and LTE roaming capabilities.
In March 2016, Tata Communications announced its partnership with messaging service provider Anam to create a Mobile Messaging Exchange designed to protect Mobile Network Operator customers' from fraud. The service offers an A2P mobile messaging hub environment, that feature cloud-based centralised messaging exchanges between customers and enterprises/OTTs/SMS aggregators. The Mobile Messaging Exchange combined with Anam’s SMS firewall products is designed to provide reliable and secure SMS delivery for Tata Communications' customers.
Sponsored data exchangeEdit
Tata Communications offers its customers a market model to distribute and promote their content for free, via its Sponsored Data Exchange. The service leverages Tata Communications’ global network and carrier relationships to offer a cloud-based solution[buzzword] that supports the use of mobile data for customer loyalty and peer-to-peer gifting.
Voice direct transitEdit
Voice Direct Transit creates a virtual direct to any of the 300+ mobile operators directly connected to its network. It provides full support for HD Voice, complies with GSMA’s IPX specifications for direct transit and is future proof for operators migrating to Voice over LTE.
Tata Communications provides its customers with a full suite of Access Services, that cover 105 countries. Customers can receive toll-free calls from both fixed and mobile phones in more than 90 countries with ITFS. They can provide a single number that is accessible from more than 45 countries worldwide, with UIFN. It also enables customers to purchase large volumes of numbers through its Bulk Local Number Service offering.
In June 2016, Tata Communications launched its Wi-Fi+, a cloud communications solutions[buzzword] for its mobile network operator customers. Operators are able to provide their customers with unlimited calling, messaging and data over high-quality, secure Wi-Fi. It harnesses Tata Communications’ Cloud RTC expertise and iPass’s more than 21 million Wi-Fi hotspots in more than 100 countries.
In January 2017, Tata Communications announced its partnership with Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) to provide 44 million Wi-Fi hotspots in more that 100 countries, including rail systems and international flights.
Tata Communications Payment Solutions Limited (TCPSL) formerly known as Tata Communications Banking InfraSolutions, is a wholly owned subsidiary of Tata Communications. TCPSL is one of the fastest growing Payment Solutions specialists in India offering end-to-end B2B and B2C solutions. Being a 100% Banking and Financial Services focused organisation, TCPSL offers one stop payment solutions to all categories of banks including PSU, Private, MNC and Co-operative banks. TCPSL’s White Label ATM offering under the brand name “Indicash” marks its foray in the B2C space. With this it holds the distinction of being the first White Label ATM service provider in the country. Under this service offering, TCPSL offers ATM services across the country through Indicash ATM network with special focus on semi urban and rural areas.
- "Key facts | Tata Communications". tatacommunications.com. Retrieved 2 May 2017.
- "ANNUAL REPORT 2017". 2 May 2017.
- "Tata Communications Ltd, TATACOMM:NSI financials - FT.com". markets.ft.com.
- "Tata group financials - Investor desk - Tata group". www.tata.com.
- "Network Services - Tata Communications". www.tatacommunications.com.
- "About us | Tata Communications". www.tatacommunications.com. Retrieved 23 March 2017.
- "AON Best Employers - India".
- Block, Daniel. "How Reliance Jio is monopolising the telecom sector". The Caravan. Retrieved 21 May 2019.
- Curtis, Sophie. "Tata Communications completes fibre optic 'ring around the world'".
- "Key facts | Tata Communications". www.tatacommunications.com. Retrieved 30 March 2017.
- "Windstream establishes 100G express route in red-hot Ashburn, Va. market via NJFX". fiercetelecom.com. 19 January 2016. Retrieved 30 January 2016.
- "Ethernet | Tata Communications". www.tatacommunications.com. Retrieved 10 May 2017.
- "Private Line | Network Services | Tata Communications". www.tatacommunications.com. Retrieved 10 May 2017.
- "Tata Communications completes acquisition of BitGravity - Livemint". www.livemint.com. Retrieved 10 May 2017.
- Communications, Tata. "Content Delivery Network > Tata Communications". cdn.tatacommunications.com. Retrieved 10 May 2017.
- Balakrishnan, Reghu (11 February 2016). "ST Telemedia set to buy Tata Communications Data Centre". livemint.com/. Retrieved 10 May 2017.
- "Unified communications solutions for service providers | Tata Communications". www.tatacommunications.com. Retrieved 10 May 2017.
- www.ETCIO.com. "Tata Communications' launches white-label SIP trunking solution to empower service providers to tap UC demand - ET CIO". ETCIO.com. Retrieved 10 May 2017.
- "Unified Communications as a Service | Tata Communications". www.tatacommunications.com. Retrieved 10 May 2017.
- "Tata Communications launches three new UC solutions". www.mis-asia.com. Retrieved 10 May 2017.
- "Tata Communications launches IZO". Totaltelecom. Retrieved 10 May 2017.
- "Leading Lights Finalists 2015: Most Innovative Enterprise Service | Light Reading". Light Reading. Retrieved 10 May 2017.
- "Tata Communications ushers in new era of Internet to drive hybrid cloud adoption". ITWeb Technology News. Retrieved 10 May 2017.
- "Tata Communications launches IZO™ SDWAN to enable organisations to unleash their global growth potential". The Hindu Business Line. 29 November 2016. Retrieved 10 May 2017.
- "Tata Communications announces Q4 FY15 and Q1 FY16 results". newswire.telecomramblings.com. Retrieved 10 May 2017.
- "Tata Communications launches Media Ecosystem to drive broadcast innovation | Tata Communications". www.tatacommunications.com. Retrieved 10 May 2017.
- "Tata Communications Helps Customers Proactively Mitigate IT Risk | Qualys, Inc". www.qualys.com. Retrieved 10 May 2017.
- "Fraud Protection Data Sheet" (PDF).
- "Roaming | Tata Communications". www.tatacommunications.com. Retrieved 10 May 2017.
- "Signalling | Tata Communications". www.tatacommunications.com. Retrieved 10 May 2017.
- "Tata Communications Mobile Messaging Exchange and Anam's SMS firewall supports mobile network operators in the fight against SMS fraud and grey routing". telecomtalk.info. Retrieved 10 May 2017.
- Billaway. "Billaway Launches a Data Rewards Platform Enabling Consumers to Earn Free Mobile Data Through Everyday Activities". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 10 May 2017.
- "Voice Direct Transit | Tata Communications". www.tatacommunications.com. Retrieved 10 May 2017.
- "Access Services | Tata Communications". www.tatacommunications.com. Retrieved 10 May 2017.
- "Tata Communications targets cloud communications with WiFi+ | commsmea.com". www.commsmea.com. Retrieved 10 May 2017.
- "Tata Communications' WiFi+ allows telcos to offer unlimited calling, messaging and data to customers". telecomtalk.info. Retrieved 10 May 2017.
- www.ETTelecom.com. "BSNL partners Tata Communications to provide 44 mn Wi-Fi hotspots abroad - ET Telecom". ETTelecom.com. Retrieved 10 May 2017.