Upper West Region
The Upper West Region of Ghana is located in the north-western corner of Ghana and is bordered by Upper East region to the east, Northern region to the south, and Burkina Faso to the west and north. The Upper West regional capital and largest settlement is Wa. Upper West is the youngest region, created in Ghana by the then Head of State, Flight-Lieutenant Jerry Rawlings in 1983 under the Provisional National Defense Council (PNDC). The area was carved out of the former Upper Region, which is now the Upper East Region.
Upper West Region
Location of Upper West Region in Ghana
|• Regional Minister||Hafiz Bin Salih|
|• Total||18,476 km2 (7,134 sq mi)|
|Area rank||Ranked 7th|
|• Density||47/km2 (120/sq mi)|
|• Per capita||$5,150|
|• Per capita||$2,500|
|ISO 3166 code||GH-UW|
low · 9th
Geography and climateEdit
Location and sizeEdit
The Upper West Region is one of the 16 regions of Ghana. It is located at the North Western corner of Ghana with latitude 9.8°- 11.O° North and longitude 1.6°- 3.0 West, bounded to Burkina Faso to the North. It covers a geographical area of 18,476 square kilometers, representing 12.7% of the total land area of Ghana. The northern Ghana-Burkina Faso is bordered on the east by the Upper East region and Northern regions, on the south by the Northern region, on the west by western Ghana-Burkina Faso, and the Upper West region on the north. It is the seventh largest region in Ghana in total area, and it is made up of 11 districts. By virtue of its location, the Upper West Region has the potential for international and inter-regional trade and other bi-lateral relations, but the overspill of criminal activities and disaster, such as bush fires, diseases and pestilence, armed robbery etc., from the region's neighbors also pose a threat.
The Wechiau Hippopotamus Sanctuary is located southwest of Wa, along the Black Volta River in the Wa West District. The Gwollu Wall in the Sissala District serves as the hometown of one of Ghana's past presidents - Dr. Hilla Limann.
A distinctive meal in the upper west region is sawu (touzafe T Z)
The major economic activity of the Upper West Region is agriculture. Crops grown include corn, millet, peanuts, okra, shea tree, and rice. Sheep, goats, chickens, pigs and guinea fowl are raised for meat and eggs. Because the region's dry season is long, extending roughly from October to May, many people leave the region to work in the southern part of Ghana for at least part of the year.
The political administration of the region is through the local government system. Under this administration system, the region is divided into 11 MMDA's (made up of 0 Metropolitan, 5 Municipal and 6 Ordinary Assemblies). Each District, Municipal or Metropolitan Assembly, is administered by a Chief Executive, representing the central government but deriving authority from an Assembly headed by a presiding member elected from among the members themselves. The current list is as follows:
|#||MMDA Name||Capital||MMDA Type||Population|
Notable natives of Upper West RegionEdit
Prominent and famous citizens of Upper West Region include:
- President Dr. Hilla Limann from Gwollu,
- Cardinal Peter Poreku Dery from Nandom,
- Peter Nanfuri from Jirapa,
- Kwesi Nyantakyi from Wa,
- Samini from Wa-Sombo,
- Wiyaala from Funsi
- Benjamin Kunbuor from Nandom,
- Alban Bagbin from Sombo
- Deputy Kale Cezario
- Lawyer Wahid Bampuori-Iddrisu from Wa
- Ambrose Dery from Nandom
- Simon Diedong Dombo from Jirapa
- Justice Yonni Kulendi from Issa
- Sangu Delle from Nandom
- Maazu Dramani Bayuoni from Tumu
- Hon.Dr.Rashid Pelpuo from Wa
Festivals of the Upper West RegionEdit
Festivals that take place in the Upper West Region include:
- "Upper West Region". GhanaDistricts.com. Retrieved 2009-11-20.
- "Ghana Statistical Services - Population by Regions, Upper West". statsghana.gov.gh. Retrieved 2021-02-01.
- "Sub-national HDI - Area Database - Global Data Lab". hdi.globaldatalab.org. Retrieved 2018-09-13.
- Boakye, Edna Agnes; Boakye, Edna Agnes (2021-05-21). "Sissala West MP laments exclusion of Sissala areas from EU-funded road projects". Citinewsroom - Comprehensive News in Ghana. Retrieved 2021-05-21.
- "Upper West". citypopulation.de. Retrieved 27 May 2021.
- Upper West Region – Districts
- "Contractors who do shoddy work to pay more for maintenance - Roads Minister warns - MyJoyOnline.com". www.myjoyonline.com. Retrieved 2021-05-20.
- Editor (2016-02-24). "Upper West Region". touringghana.com. Retrieved 2020-01-28.CS1 maint: extra text: authors list (link)