University of Thessaly
The University of Thessaly (UTH; Greek: Πανεπιστήμιο Θεσσαλίας) is a public university in Thessaly, Greece, founded in 1984. The university includes the main campus in the city of Volos and regional campuses located in Karditsa, Larissa, Trikala, and the city of Lamia. The university's central administrative and academic building, located on the seaport seafront, it is often referred to as the main campus, but actually the university does not have a single main site, as it has multi sites with buildings being geographically distributed within the wider region of Volos across the city districts. Enrollment for Fall 2014 consisted of 14,000 undergraduates students, 2,150 master's degree-level students, 1,400 doctoral students, and 710 faculty members.
Greece University System
Higher Education Institution
The emblem of the University of Thessaly is Chiron, who used to live in Pelion Mountain and was famous for his special knowledge about medicine, music, archery, hunting, gymnastics and the art of prophecy.
Most university departments were founded by the end of 2001. In 2013, the University of Central Greece (UCG) ‒ Main Campus  in the City of Lamia and its Department of Computer Science and Biomedical Informatics, merged with University of Thessaly. This was followed in 2019 by the Technological Educational Institute of Central Greece (TEICG) ‒ Main Campus  in the City of Lamia and its Departments of Nursing, Physiotherapy, Computer Science, Electronic Engineering, also merging with University of Thessaly. Since then these are the two sites of the University of Thessaly at the City of Lamia campus exists at both.
The university includes eight Faculties (shown in the table below), further divided into departments. Each department includes undergraduate and postgraduate degree programs. The language of instruction is Greek, although there are programs in foreign languages and courses for international students, which are carried out in English, French, German and Italian.
|School of Agriculture Sciences
(5 years, Volos)
|School of Economics
and Administrative Sciences
|School of Engineering
(Polytechneio, 5 years)
|School of Technology
|School of Humanities
and Social Sciences
Physical Education Sciences,
Sports and Dietetics (Trikala)
|School of Health Sciences
|School of Science
(City of Lamia)
The university staff is divided into five main categories:
- Teaching and research staff: The staff in this category undertakes the majority of the teaching and research work done in the university. It comprises professors, associate professors, assistant professors and lecturers.
- Scientific teaching staff: This category consists of former teaching and research assistants. Their main role is to cooperate with the Teaching and Research staff and assist them in their teaching responsibilities.
- Special laboratory teaching staff: The members of this category are administering the university laboratories and they undertake special applied and laboratory teaching work.
- Special technical laboratory staff: They are responsible of keeping the laboratory equipment in good condition and upgrade it whenever necessary in order to stay up to date. They also provide specific technical laboratory services and help with the laboratory teaching.
- Administrative staff: This category comprises all employees working in administrative positions.
The educational work is also exercised by guest professors and scientists who are invited to teach specific courses.
In 2015 the external evaluation committee gave University of Thessaly a Positive evaluation.
Library and Information CenterEdit
Library and Information Center of University of Thessaly was founded in 1995. Its central building is hosted in the renewed building of the old Athens Bank, which was built in 1903, and is located in the center of Volos. Moreover, there are branches of the Library that operate in every faculty in all cities of University of Thessaly. The Kitsos Makris Folklore Center is also part of the University of Thessaly Library & Information Center.
University of Thessaly owns a small Student Residence Hall in Volos with a capacity of 40 rooms. There is also an accommodation grant of 100 € per month for the undergraduate foreign students of countries outside EU. For the Greek students and also the students of countries members of EU there is an accommodation grant of 1000 € per year depending on academic and financial criteria. There are plans for the development of a new large scale residence hall in the near future.
Psychological Counseling and Support for StudentsEdit
The Laboratory of Psychology and Educational Applications of the Department of Special Education offers psychological support and help to all students who need it, in order to deal with their personal difficulties and concerns, and it also helps in developing skills on how to manage potential problems, such as problems in student life, difficulties in personal relations and other psychological disorders.
The students make an appointment with the psychologist of the Laboratory, either individually or in groups; they also may participate in seminars that are organised in regular time intervals. All services are provided free of charge and the meetings have confidential character.
Centre of Continuing Education and Lifelong Learning (KEDIVIM)Edit
The Centre of Continuing Education and Lifelong Learning(Κ.Ε.ΔΙ.ΒΙ.Μ. Κέντρο Επιμόρφωσης και Δια Βίου Μάθησης) at University of Thessaly in Volos offers short-term courses on-campus and by distance e-learning off-campus, certified by the EOPPEP, National Organization for the Certification of Qualifications and Vocational Guidance.
Culture and SportsEdit
University of Thessaly offers the possibility of many sports and cultural activities. There are many student groups consisting the team of Physical Education, Musical Ensembles, Theater Group, Photography Group etc. In the beginning of every semester the students have the opportunity to enter in every action that are interested in. Moreover, there is plenty of student groups that undertake cultural actions such as Cinema Group and University of Thessaly Student Radio.
- "University of Thessaly – History". University of Thessaly.
- "Law 4589, Government Gazette 13 Α'/29.01.2019". Hellenic Parliament.(in Greek), "Synergies between National and Kapodistrian University of Athens (NKUA), Agricultural University of Athens (AUA), University of Thessaly (UTH) with the TEI of Thessaly and TEI of Central Greece, Panlimniako Fund and other provisions”
- "University of Thessaly – External Evaluation Report" (PDF). www.adip.gr. 2015."UTH provides a positive and collegial work environment. The EEC believes that with hard work and dedication, the University of Thessaly will be able to reach its full potential in the near future."
- ""ATHENA" Reform Plan for Higher Education" (in Greek). www.minedu.gov.gr.
- "University of Thessaly – Schools and Departments". University of Thessaly.
- "Department of Ichthyology and Aquatic Environment – HQA Final Report" (PDF). 2011.
- "Department of Agriculture Crop Production and Rural Environment – HQA Final Report" (PDF). 2010.
- "University of Thessaly, School of Engineering". University of Thessaly.
- "Department of Civil Engineering – HQA Final Report" (PDF). 2011.
- "Department of Social Anthropology and History – HQA Final Report" (PDF). 2010.
- "Department of Planning and Regional Development – HQA Final Report" (PDF). 2014.
- "Department of Special Education – HQA Final Report" (PDF). 2013.
- "Department of Primary Level Education – HQA Final Report" (PDF). 2013.
- "Department of History, Archaeology and Social Anthropology – HQA Final Report" (PDF). 2010.
- "University of Thessaly, School of Physical Education and Sport Sciences".
- "Department of Physical Education and Sport Science – HQA Final Report" (PDF). 2010.
- "Department of Biochemistry and Biotechnology – HQA Final Report" (PDF). 2011.
- "Department of Veterinary Science – HQA Final Report" (PDF). 2011.
- "Department of Medicine – HQA Final Report" (PDF). 2011.
- "University of Thessaly, Department of Physiotherapy".(in Greek) University of Thessaly Department of Physiotherapy (wikipedia)
- "University of Thessaly, Advanced Physiotherapy Postgraduate Program". (in Greek) General Department (postgraduate programs) (wikipedia)
- "University of Thessaly, School of Science".
- "University of Thessaly Postgraduate Programs". (in English)
- "General University Hospital of Larissa". (in English)
- "HQA External Evaluation Reports of Institutions". www.adip.gr. 2019.
- "Centre of Continuing Education and Lifelong Learning (KEDIVIM)". University of Thessaly, Volos
- "University of Thessaly – KEDIVIM Open eClass".(in Greek)
- University of Thessaly official website (in Greek) (in English)
- University of Thessaly Faculties and Departments (in Greek) (in English)
- University of Thessaly Research Laboratories (in Greek) (in English)
- University of Thessaly Research Committee
- University of Thessaly DASTA Office (Career Office & Innovation Unit) (in Greek)
- Hellenic Quality Assurance and Accreditation Agency (HQA) (in Greek) (in English)
- Greek Research & Technology Network (GRNET) (in Greek) (in English)
- Hellenic Academic Libraries Link (HEAL–Link) (in Greek) (in English)
- Kallipos (e-books Greek academic publishing) (in Greek) (in English)
- okeanos (GRNET's cloud service) (in Greek) (in English)