United States House Select Committee on the Climate Crisis
The House Select Committee on the Climate Crisis is a select committee established in the 116th United States Congress in 2019 when Democrats regained the majority of the United States House of Representatives. The Chair is Congresswoman Kathy Castor of Florida. The committee has no mandate or subpoena power to compel witnesses to testify.
Its predecessor was the United States House Select Committee on Energy Independence and Global Warming, which existed from 2007 to 2011, and was not renewed when the Republicans gained control of the House for the 112th Congress.
Nancy Pelosi, in her then-role as House Minority Leader, called for the Select Committee a week prior to Election Day, telling the New York Times she wanted it to "'prepare the way with evidence' for energy conservation and other climate change mitigation legislation...Pelosi said it was clearly still needed to educate the public about the impact of more frequent extreme weather events." In November and December of 2018, youth climate activists with the Sunrise Movement pushed House Democrats to form a select committee with the mandate to draft "Green New Deal" legislation, working with incoming freshman Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, who proposed language for the committee's authorization. The activists staged a series of sit-ins in the offices of Nancy Pelosi, Steny Hoyer, and Jim McGovern, the incoming Speaker, Majority Leader, and Rules Committee chair. About two dozen Democratic members of Congress supported their proposal, but the incoming chairs of the Energy & Commerce and Natural Resources Committees, Reps. Frank Pallone and Raul Grijalva, opposed it.
Members, 116th CongressEdit
- "Democrats Establish a New House 'Climate Crisis' Committee". The Atlantic. December 28, 2018. Retrieved December 28, 2018.
- "Karen Castor named to lead restored House panel on climate change". The Guardian. December 28, 2018. Retrieved December 28, 2018.
- Curwood, Steve (January 11, 2019). "Living on Earth: Capitol Hill Panel on Climate Crisis". Living on Earth. World Media Foundation. Retrieved January 15, 2019.
- Zhang, Sharon (January 15, 2019). "Democrats Would Be Foolish Not to Embrace the Green New Deal". Pacific Standard. Retrieved January 15, 2019.
- H.Res. 5 (112th Cong.)
- "HOUSE: Pelosi wants to resurrect select climate panel". www.eenews.net. Retrieved March 11, 2019.
- Fandos, Nicholas (October 31, 2018). "First Up if Democrats Win: Campaign and Ethics Changes, Infrastructure and Drug Prices". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved March 11, 2019.
- Ocasio-Cortez, Alexandria. "FINAL Select Committee for a Green New Deal".
- Cook, Christopher D. (November 20, 2018). "Can the Blue Wave Deliver a Green New Deal?". The Nation.
- Green, Miranda; Cama, Timothy (December 10, 2018). "More protesters storm Pelosi's office demanding climate change action". The Hill.
- "Pelosi names members to climate panel". Politico. February 7, 2019.