United Biscuits ("UB") is a British multinational food manufacturer, makers of McVitie's biscuits, Jacob's Cream Crackers, and Twiglets. The company was listed on the London Stock Exchange and was once a constituent of the FTSE 100 Index but in November 2014 it was acquired by Yıldız Holding and is now part of pladis.
|Founder||McVitie & Price
|Jeff van der Eems (CEO)|
|Products||Sweet and salty snacks|
|Revenue||£1,096.1 million (2013)|
|£141.7 million (2007)|
|£24.0 million (2007)|
United Biscuits (UB) was formed in 1948 by a merger of two Scottish family businesses: McVitie & Price and MacFarlane Lang.
In 1962, William Crawford & Sons, best known for its shortbread, was acquired for £6 million. In 1965, William MacDonald & Sons was acquired for £2.8 million, and brought the Penguin brand to the group.
Keebler was sold for $500 million in 1995.
The company was acquired in May 2000 by Finalrealm, a consortium of financial investors, as well as Nabisco Holdings Corporation: as part of the transaction, UB acquired Nabisco's European businesses.
In December 2013 McVities announced their intention to modernize the Harlesden site to increase production capacity, improve flexibility and thereby secure the long-term survival of the London factory. This change meant a move from a 5-day 8-hour operation to a 7-day 12-hour operation and was introduced following Union agreement. The first part of this change happened in June 2014 and is being introduced in 5 phases over 2014 and 2015. The factory will be fully 24/7 in April 2015 and will increase production capacity by 40%. When the changes are fully implemented, the number of employees on the site will increase to around 580.
In June 2014, McVities announced their intention to make up to 157 shop floor roles redundant at their Manchester manufacturing facility as part of a similar modernisation programme that saw the site move to a similar 7-day operation.
United Biscuits NetworkEdit
The United Biscuits Network, a closed-circuit radio network serving their factories across the UK which was active from 1970 to 1979, spawned the career of UK radio presenter Steve Allen and TV and radio personality Dale Winton.
In popular cultureEdit
In his 2009 book The Pleasures and Sorrows of Work, Alain de Botton chronicles his tour and brief experiences with employees of United Biscuits as they launched the "Moments" biscuit line.
- Jeffrey Peter Van Der Eems works at UNITED BISCUITS (UK) LIMITED since 02 September 2005 - http://www.cbetta.com/director/jeffrey-peter-van-der-eems-3
- "A New Biscuit Company." The Times [London, England] 19 March 1948: 9.
- "United Biscuits Crawfords For More Than £6M." The Times [London, England] 24 May 1962: 19.
- "£2.8M. Biscuit Merger." The Times [London, England] 21 January 1965: 22.
- Anthony Rowley. "Cavenham sell biscuit interests for £4m." The Times [London, England] 5 July 1972: 19.
- "Information on Wimpy's Franchise",Caterer Search. Retrieved on 29 January 2008.
- "History". United Biscuits. Archived from the original on 26 July 2011. Retrieved 4 January 2009.
- United Biscuits Sells Keebler for $500 Million
- "UB to weigh up its options". Eurofood. 25 April 2002. Retrieved 12 April 2007.
- "United Biscuits selling Young's stake". Eurofood. 29 March 2001. Retrieved 12 April 2007.
- "Danone sells its UK biscuits to United". The Independent. 24 July 2004. Retrieved 12 April 2007.[dead link]
- "City sandwich". The Daily Telegraph. London. 11 July 2006. Retrieved 4 January 2009.
- Parkinson, Gary (26 October 2006). "Private-equity companies snap up United Biscuits in a [pound]1.6bn". The Independent. Retrieved 12 April 2007.
- "Blackstone and PAI complete purchase of UB" (Press release). United Biscuits. 15 December 2006. Archived from the original on 27 September 2007. Retrieved 12 April 2007.
- "Cinven, MidOcean to sell United Biscuits" (Press release). Alt Assets. 25 October 2006. Retrieved 25 November 2014. (Subscription required (. ))
- "KP Snacks snapped up by Intersnack in £500m deal". Manchester Evening News. 5 December 2012. Archived from the original on 8 December 2012.
- "Turkish food giant gobbles up United Biscuits". The Daily Telegraph. 3 November 2014. Retrieved 5 November 2014.
- "157 jobs could go at McVities". Manchester Evening News.
- "United Bars are the eighties sweets we need to see back on our shelves," The Daily Edge, 9 February 2016
- "Pick of the Pops Biography". BBC. Retrieved 4 January 2009.