Union Pacific 4141 is an EMD SD70ACe diesel locomotive painted in honor of George H. W. Bush, the 41st President of the United States. Its paint scheme is based on that of Air Force One, with lettering reading "George Bush 41".
|Union Pacific 4141|
Built in 2005 for the Union Pacific Railroad, it was initially operated as UP 8423 until October 18, 2005, when it was unveiled at the George H.W. Bush Presidential Library and Museum. As the 4141, the locomotive was in active service until 2007–2008, when the 2007-2010 financial crisis forced the locomotive to be stored indefinitely in North Little Rock, AR. Except for a brief run in 2012, it would not run again until December 6, 2018, when the locomotive led Bush's funeral train. It would then return to active service until being donated to the Bush Presidential Library on November 8, 2019; it made its final run on November 9, 2019, and returned to the library on March 12, 2021, where it is now being prepped for permanent display.
The locomotive entered service with Union Pacific as 8423 in 2005, initially entering service in primer paint, similar to the six heritage units before they were unveiled in their respective paint schemes. On October 18, 2005, the locomotive was officially unveiled at the George H.W. Bush Presidential Library and Museum with a paint scheme is based on that of Air Force One, with lettering reading "George Bush 41". Union Pacific road number 4141 was previously occupied by an EMD SD70M, which was renumbered 3778. The locomotive was displayed outside the Presidential Library for a while before it entered revenue service. Bush himself was allowed to operate the locomotive briefly.
The unit was removed from active service in 2009 and placed in storage at UP's North Little Rock shop when traffic fell amid the financial crisis of 2007–2010. In 2012, the locomotive was removed from storage for a single round trip from North Little Rock to Chicago, then returned to storage. For a while, it was wrapped for long-term storage, but the wrapping was later removed.
After Bush died on November 30, 2018, UP 4141 was brought out of storage and sent to Houston, Texas, on December 1, 2018. The locomotive participated in Bush's funeral train on December 6, running from Spring to College Station, Texas. After the funeral, the unit was sent to Omaha, Nebraska, where it was displayed from December 9 to 12. UP 4141 later went on a system-wide tour, with stops in Chicago, Fort Worth, Houston, Kansas City, Los Angeles, North Platte, Pine Bluff, North Little Rock, Ogden, Portland, Roseville and St Louis. Following the tour, it returned to active service, in addition to being on display in other locations.
On November 8, 2019, Union Pacific donated the 4141 to the George H.W. Bush Presidential Library and Museum, where it will be on permanent display in the pavilion. The locomotive made its last run from November 8 to 9, traveling from Houston to Palestine, Texas as part of the Southwest tour of the recently restored Union Pacific Big Boy No. 4014. Following its last run, it was taken back to the North Little Rock shops to be prepped for display. On March 12, 2021, the locomotive arrived back at College Station. The exhibit is planned to open sometime in 2024, in time for George H. W. Bush's 100th birthday.
- ^ Hamel, Stacie (October 19, 2005). "Way to recognize service". Omaha World-Herald. Retrieved April 22, 2007. (full text available here)
- ^ "Union Pacific Railroad Honors President Bush 41 With Custom-Painted Locomotive" (Press release). Union Pacific. October 18, 2005. Retrieved December 1, 2018.
- ^ "From Air Force One to UP 4141". Trains. January 2006. p. 10.
- ^ Lustig, David (February 2010). "Pride of the Fleet". Trains. Kalmbach Publishing.
- ^ "George H.W. Bush Funeral Train" (Press release). Union Pacific Railroad. Retrieved December 2, 2018.
- ^ "Former President George H.W. Bush's locomotive to be displayed in Omaha". WOWT. Retrieved December 10, 2018.
- ^ Earl, David (December 9, 2018). "Union Pacific No. 4141 has arrived in Omaha". KETV. Retrieved December 10, 2018.
- ^ "UP confirms George H.W. Bush '4141' unit to tour system". TrainsMag.com. December 17, 2018. Retrieved April 11, 2020.
- ^ Wrinn, Jim (November 2019). "Union Pacific donates SD70ACe No. 4141 to George H.W. Bush Presidential Library; Big Boy 4014 joins celebration". TrainsMag.com. Archived from the original on September 28, 2020. Retrieved November 8, 2019.
- ^ "Union Pacific Donates George H.W. Bush Engine 4141 To The Bush Library And Museum". WTAW (AM). Archived from the original on November 9, 2019. Retrieved November 9, 2019.
- ^ Natario, Nick (November 8, 2019). "George HW Bush's train to be part of his presidential library". ABC13 Houston. Retrieved November 9, 2019.
- ^ Rodriguez, Megan. "Union Pacific: No. 4141 locomotive to be permanently displayed at Bush Library". The Bryan-College Station Eagle. Retrieved March 22, 2021.
- ^ Reilly, Mike (March 21, 2021). "Union Pacific 4141 Makes Last Stop At Bush Museum" (Press release). Retrieved March 22, 2021.
- Official announcement of UP 4141
- 4141 unveiling gallery
- Information page
- George H. W. Bush funeral train gallery