Trains is a monthly magazine about trains and railroads aimed at railroad enthusiasts and railroad industry employees. The magazine primarily covers railroad happenings in the United States and Canada, but has some articles on railroading elsewhere. It is among the 11 magazines published by Kalmbach Media, based in Waukesha, Wisconsin.
|Editor||Carl A. Swanson|
|Based in||Waukesha, Wisconsin|
It was founded as Trains in 1940 by publisher Al C. Kalmbach and editorial director Linn Westcott. From October 1951 to March 1954, the magazine was named Trains and Travel.
Jim Wrinn, a former reporter and editor at the Charlotte Observer, served as editor from 2004 until his death in 2022. Carl A. Swanson succeeded him.
- Al C. Kalmbach, 1940–1948
- Willard V. Anderson, 1948–1953
- David P. Morgan, 1953–1987
- J. David Ingles, 1987–1992
- Kevin P. Keefe, 1992–2000, 2004, 2022 (interim)
- Mark W. Hemphill, 2000–2004
- Jim Wrinn, 2004–2022
- Carl A. Swanson, 2022–present
- ^ Alliance for Audited Media (AAM), Online-database, accessed 2019-07-04, listing monthly average for last half of 2018
- ^ "Trains Timeline: a 75-year journey". Trains Magazine. May 2019.
- ^ Keefe, Kevin P. (March 30, 2022). "Jim Wrinn led Trains Magazine with passion". Trains. Kalmbach Media. Retrieved March 30, 2022.
- ^ "Carl A. Swanson named TRAINS Magazine editor". Trains. Kalmbach Media. May 11, 2022. Retrieved May 11, 2022.
- ^ "Kalmbach names Keefe as Trains interim editor". Trains. Kalmbach Media. April 6, 2022. Retrieved April 7, 2022.