Ufomba Kamalu (born November 2, 1992) is an American football defensive tackle for the New England Patriots of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at Miami (FL) and signed with the Houston Texans as an undrafted free agent in 2016.
|No. 97 – New England Patriots|
|Born:||November 2, 1992|
|Height:||6 ft 6 in (1.98 m)|
|Weight:||300 lb (136 kg)|
|High school:||Fayetteville (GA) Starr's Mill|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2018|
After being born in Georgia, Kamalu spent the first 13 years of his life in Aba, Nigeria with his siblings, while his parents stayed back home. He returned to the United States for high school, but many concepts in America were completely foreign to him. By his father's request he began playing football his freshman year of high school and went to Miami (FL), where he played on the Hurricane's football team.
Kamalu went to Butler Community College in El Dorado, Kansas for junior college. He attended college at University of Miami in Florida, where he totaled 48 tackles (11.5 for a loss of yardage), 8.0 sacks, one forced fumble and fumble recovery, and an interception which he returned for 46 yards over his 3-year collegiate career. He declared for the NFL draft after 4 years of college with Butler CC and Miami combined, where he went undrafted. Kamalu was voted Miami's defensive player of the year during his senior year in 2015
Kamalu signed with the Houston Texans as an undrafted free agent on May 5, 2016. He was waived by the Texans on September 3, 2016 and was signed to the practice squad the next day. He was promoted to the active roster on November 26, 2016. He made his professional debut in Week 13 in a start against the Green Bay Packers, where he recorded his first career tackle in a 21-13 loss. Kamalu recorded his first career sack on Matt Cassel in a Week 17 loss to the Tennessee Titans.
On September 1, 2018, Kamalu was waived by the Texans.
New England PatriotsEdit
On November 5, 2018, Kamalu was signed to the New England Patriots' practice squad. He was promoted to the active roster on December 21, 2018. Kamalu appeared in 2 games for the Patriots recording 1 tackle. With Kamalu the Patriots reached Super Bowl LIII and defeated the Los Angeles Rams 13-3.
- "Texans sign 3 draft picks, 15 undrafted free agents". HoustonTexans.com. May 6, 2016. Retrieved May 24, 2017.
- "TRANSACTIONS: Texans down to 53-man roster". HoustonTexans.com. September 3, 2016. Archived from the original on August 26, 2017. Retrieved May 24, 2017.
- "TRANSACTIONS: Texans sign 8 to practice squad". HoustonTexans.com. September 4, 2016. Archived from the original on August 26, 2017. Retrieved May 24, 2017.
- "Texans sign Ufomba Kamalu". HoustonTexans.com. November 26, 2016. Retrieved May 24, 2017.
- Wilson, Aaron (November 27, 2016). "Texans rookie Ufomba Kamalu makes NFL debut". Chron.com.
- "TRANSACTIONS: Texans cut roster to 53". HoustonTexans.com. September 1, 2018.
- "Cardinals sign DE Ufomba Kamalu to practice squad, release Alec James". ArizonaSports.com. September 25, 2018.
- Urban, Darren (October 30, 2018). "Cardinals Add TE John Phillips, OL Colby Gossett". AZCardinals.com.
- "Patriots Sign LB Ufomba Kamalu to the Practice Squad". Patriots.com. November 5, 2018.
- "Patriots Sign DL Ufomba Kamalu to the 53-Man Roster; Sign OL Tony Adams to the Practice Squad". Patriots.com. December 21, 2018.