Udupi district in the Karnataka state of India was created in August 1997. The three northern taluks, Udupi, Kundapur and Karkala, were separated from Dakshina Kannada District to form Udupi district. Moodbidri was officially declared as new Taluk, seprated from Karkala with effect from January 11, 2018. The district headquarters are in the city of Udupi.
Yakshagana, popular in Udupi dist.
Location of Udupi district in Karnataka, India
|Talukas||Udupi, Karkala, Kundapur, Hebri , Byndoor, Brahmavar, Kaup|
|• District Commissioner||Ms.Hephsiba Rani Korlapati IAS.|
|• Total||3,880 km2 (1,500 sq mi)|
|• Density||300/km2 (790/sq mi)|
|• Regional||Tulu, Konkani, Kundagannada, Beary|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|ISO 3166 code||IN-KA-UD|
|Coastline||98 kilometres (61 mi)|
|Largest city||Udupi, Kundapura|
|Sex ratio||1094 ♂/♀ |
|Lok Sabha constituency||Udupi-Chikmagalur|
|Precipitation||4,302 millimetres (169.4 in)|
Udupi district is surrounded by Uttara Kannada district in north, Dakshina Kannada district in southern direction. Shivamogga district borders on north east side and Chikkamagaluru district on east. Arabian sea is on west of Udupi district.
According to the 2011 census Udupi district has a population of 1,177,908, roughly equal to the nation of Timor-Leste or the US state of Rhode Island. This gives it a ranking of 403rd in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 304 inhabitants per square kilometre (790/sq mi). Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was 5.9%. Udupi has a sex ratio of 1093 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 86.29%. About 28% of the population lives in the urban areas.
Udupi has a tropical climate.
Commerce and industryEdit
Suzlon has a manufacturing facility at Padubidre for making blades for wind mills. The project has been mired in controversies, with the company announcing a lock-out in November, 2017 that lasted for more than a month. Activities were again suspended in July, 2018.
People from Udupi districtEdit
- "Know India - Karnataka". Government of India. Retrieved 6 December 2010.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 16 June 2004. Retrieved 1 November 2008.
- "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2011. Retrieved 30 September 2011.
- US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison:Population". Retrieved 1 October 2011.
Timor-Leste 1,177,834 July 2011 est.
- "2010 Resident Population Data". U. S. Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 19 October 2013. Retrieved 30 September 2011.
Rhode Island 1,052,567
- India Today: An Encyclopedia of Life in the Republic By Arnold P. Kaminsky, Roger D. Long 
- "Suzlon unit shuts down temporarily". Deccan Herald. 12 July 2018. Retrieved 1 December 2018.
- "Work begins on strategic petroleum reserve in Mangalore". The Hindu. Chennai, India. 28 May 2009.