The Tsugaru Expressway (津軽自動車道 Tsugaru Jidōsha-dō) is a two-lane national expressway in Aomori Prefecture, Japan. The expressway connects the prefecture's capital, Aomori, and the Tōhoku Expressway to the municipalities of Goshogawara, Tsugaru and, Ajigasawa. It is owned and operated by Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism and is signed as an auxiliary route of National Route 101 as well as E64 under their "2016 Proposal for Realization of Expressway Numbering."
|Maintained by Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism|
|Length||19.5 km (12.1 mi)|
|National Route 101|
|West end||Namioka Interchange|
National Route 7 / Tōhoku Expressway in Aomori, Aomori
National Route 339 in Goshogawara, Aomori
|East end||Tsugaru Kashiwa Interchange|
National Route 101 in
|Length||3.4 km (2.1 mi)|
|West end||Melon Road in Ajigasawa, Aomori|
|East end||Ajigasawa Interchange|
National Route 101 in
|National highways of Japan|
Expressways of Japan
The expressway's eastern terminus lies near the Namioka Interchange of the Tōhoku Expressway. A signaled intersection along National Route 7 separates the entrance to the Tōhoku Expressway from the Tsugaru Expressway. From this intersection, the expressway follows a northwestern heading out of the city limits of Aomori into Goshogawara. The expressway serves as a high-speed alternate to the main National Route 101 from National Route 7 to Goshogawara. When the expressway meets National Route 101, it instead serves as a bypass to the city, curving around heading north, west, and then south to meet its western terminus at another junction with National Route 101.
The speed limit is 70 km/h for the entire route; however, during the winter the speed limit is reduced to 60 km/h.
About 13 kilometres (8.1 mi) further west along National Route 101 in Ajigasawa, a 3.4 kilometres (2.1 mi) section of the expressway was completed in 2016. It begins just south of the route along Melon Road. The expressway segment has a single junction with Aomori Prefecture Route 31 and a crossing over the Narusawa River before it meets its end at Route 101 once more.
- August 8, 1989 - Planning began on the route from the Namioka bypass to Goshogawawra.
- 1994- Construction began on the expressway.
- 2002- The expressway opened to traffic between Goshogawara-higashi and the Namioka bypass.
- December 14, 2007 - The expressway opened to traffic between Goshogawara-higashi and Goshogawara-kita.
- November 3, 2014 - The expressway opened to traffic between Goshogawara-kita and Tsugaru Kashiwa.
- March 17, 2015 - The maximum speed is raised to 70 km/h.
- July 30, 2016 - The Ajigasawa section opened to traffic.
The expressway is being widened within the city of Aomori from two lanes to four.
Plans are in progress for the construction of an expressway linking the Ajigasawa section to the rest of the Tsugaru Expressway along the 13 kilometres (8.1 mi) gap. The route would parallel Route 101 from the north until just before the route would meet the Ajigasawa section where it would cross the road, paralleling it from the south. This expressway is planned to be extended south through Fukaura, Aomori to Happō in Akita Prefecture.
|Aomori||Aomori||53||Namioka|| Tōhoku Expressway – Aomori, Morioka||Under construction|
|0||0.0||—||Kosokudo||National Route 7 (Namioka Bypass) – Hirosaki, Aomori||At-grade junction, current eastern terminus of the expressway|
|Goshogawara||7.6||4.7||—||Goshogawara-higashi||National Route 101 – Central Goshogawara, Aomori|
|11.4||7.1||—||Goshogawara||Horogake Matsunoki Road – to Aomori Prefecture Route 156, Central Goshogawara, Kaneyama|
|15.7||9.8||—||Goshogawara-kita||National Route 339 – Central Goshogawara, Nakadomari, Cape Tappi|
|Tsugaru||19.5||12.1||—||Tsugaru Kashiwa||National Route 101 (Omagoe Highway) – Goshogawara, Ajigasawa||At-grade junction|
|13 km gap in the expressway, connection is made by National Route 101|
|Aomori||Tsugaru||0||0.0||—||Ukita||National Route 101– Goshogawara, Ajigasawa||Under construction|
|Ajigasawa||0.3||0.19||—||(no name)||Melon Road||At-grade junction, current eastern terminus of the expressway segment.|
|2.5||1.6||—||Minami-Ukida||Aomori Prefecture Route 31|
|3.7||2.3||—||Ajigasawa||National Route 101||At-grade junction, current western terminus of the expressway.|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi|
- "津軽自動車道｜青森県庁ウェブサイト Aomori Prefectural Government". www.pref.aomori.lg.jp.
- "Route 101". www.thr.mlit.go.jp/aomori.
- "Japan's Expressway Numbering System". www.mlit.go.jp.
- "Tsugaru Expressway's speed limit has changed from 60km/h to 70 km/h!". www.thr.mlit.go.jp.
- "Tsugaru Expressway Ajigasawa Road will open Saturday, July 30" (PDF). www.thr.mlit.go.jp. 13 July 2016. Retrieved 8 January 2018.
- "Tsugaru Expressway Kashiwa-Uchida Planning stage evaluation" (PDF). www.thr.mlit.go.jp.
- "Road Project Revaluation General Route No. 101 Ajigasawa Road" (PDF). www.thr.mlit.go.jp.