Tokke is a municipality in Telemark in the county of Vestfold og Telemark in Norway. It is part of the traditional region of Vest-Telemark. The administrative centre of the municipality is the village of Dalen. The municipality of Tokke was created on 1 January 1964 upon the merger of the two older municipalities of Lårdal and Mo. Located in Lårdal, Eidsborg stave church is one of Norway's old stave churches.
|County||Vestfold og Telemark|
|• Mayor (2015)||Jarand Felland (Sp)|
|• Total||984 km2 (380 sq mi)|
|• Land||905 km2 (349 sq mi)|
|Area rank||107 in Norway|
|• Rank||310 in Norway|
|• Density||2.58/km2 (6.7/sq mi)|
|• Change (10 years)||−6.7%|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|ISO 3166 code||NO-3824|
|Official language form||Nynorsk|
The name originally belongs to the river running through the municipality. The Old Norse form of the river name must have been Þotka and it is related to the name of the lake Totak (which it comes from). The river name is probably derived from the Norse word þot meaning "roaring, rushing, or howling".
The coat-of-arms is from modern times. They were granted on 6 February 1987. The arms show a black bear on a gold background. The bear in the arms symbolizes the rich nature in the forests in the municipality. The bear plays a major role in many local legends and stories.
- Talleiv Huvestad (1761 in Skafså – 1847) a teacher, farmer and politician
- Søren Georg Abel (1772 in Mo – 1820) a Norwegian priest and politician
- Jens Matthias Pram Kaurin (1804 in Lårdal – 1863) theology professor and Lutheran priest
- Marcus Jacob Monrad (1816–1897) a Norwegian philosopher and academic, grew up in Mo
- Vetle Vislie (1858 in Skafså – 1933) a Norwegian educationalist, writer and politician
- Alf Blütecher (1880 in Lårdal – 1959) a Norwegian actor
- Thomas Offenberg Backer (1892 in Mo – 1987) a Norwegian engineer
- Andreas Backer (1895 in Mo – 1975) a Norwegian journalist and newspaper editor
- Anne Grimdalen (1899 in Skafså – 1961) a Norwegian sculptor
- Eivind Groven (1901 in Eidsborg – 1977) a microtonal composer and music-theorist
- Arvid Torgeir Lie (1938 in Skafså – 2020) a Norwegian poet, short story writer and translator
- Lene Vågslid (born 1986 in Tokke) a Norwegian teacher and politician
- "Navn på steder og personer: Innbyggjarnamn" (in Norwegian). Språkrådet.
- "Forskrift om målvedtak i kommunar og fylkeskommunar" (in Norwegian). Lovdata.no.
- Norske Kommunevåpen (1990). "Nye kommunevåbener i Norden". Retrieved 18 January 2009.
- IMDb Database Retrieved 12 November 2020