The Magnificent Nine (殿、利息でござる！, Tono, Risoku de Gozaru!) is a 2016 Japanese jidaigeki samurai comedy film directed by Yoshihiro Nakamura. It was released in Japan by Shochiku on May 14, 2016.
|The Magnificent Nine|
|Directed by||Yoshihiro Nakamura|
|Written by||Yoshihiro Nakamura|
|Story by||Michifumi Isoda|
|Produced by||Fumitsugu Ikeda|
|Narrated by||Gaku Hamada|
|Music by||Goro Yasukawa|
RC Succession's "Sukiyaki"
|Box office||¥611.3 million|
The original story is Jusaburō Kokudaya (ja:穀田屋十三郎, Kokudaya Jusaburō) collected by "Unsung Heroes of Old Japan" written by Michifumi Isoda (ja:磯田道史, Isoda Michifumi) , a record of the townspeople who saved the plight of the Shukuba town at Yoshioka-juku (ja:吉岡宿) in the Sendai Domain (Sendai city) in the 18th century "Kokuonki (国恩記)" Based on (written by Monk Zuishi Eishū (栄洲瑞芝, Eishū Zuishi)).
This movie's catch phrase is "Zeni to Atama ha Tsukaiyou". (ゼニと頭は、使いよう。, Let's use Money and Brain. (Financial schemes and Wisdom require good handling.)).
In 1766, residents in a town have a hard time due to the land tax and forced labor. Nine people, including Jusaburō Kokudaya (Sadao Abe), worry about the future of their town. They then set up a plan to save the town. The plan is to lend large amounts of money to Han (historical term for the estate of a warrior) and distribute the interest annually to the residents, but if they are caught, they will lose their lives.
Kokudaya Family (Sake brewery)
Sugawaraya Family (Tea master)
Asanoya Family (Sake brewery and Money changer)
On its opening weekend at the Japanese box office, the film was second placed, with 159,690 admissions and ¥194.9 million in gross. On its second weekend, it was again second placed by admissions, with 109,248, and was third placed by gross, with ¥135.2 million.
|2016||41st Hochi Film Award||Best Picture||Nominated|
- Seven Samurai - directed by Akira Kurosawa (1954)
- The Magnificent Seven (1960)
- The Magnificent Seven (2016 film)
- ^ a b "殿、利息でござる！". eiga.com (in Japanese). Retrieved May 27, 2016.
- ^ a b "Japan Box Office Report – 5/21~5/22". tokyohive. 6Theory Media, LLC. May 25, 2016. Retrieved May 27, 2016.
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s "殿、利息でござる！(2016)". allcinema (in Japanese). Singray. Retrieved May 27, 2016.
- ^ a b Blair, Gavin J. (May 16, 2016). "Japan Box Office: 'Zootopia' Holds on to No. 1, Passes $35M". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved May 27, 2016.
- ^ Official website (in Japanese)
- ^ "Japan Box Office Report – 5/14~5/15". tokyohive. 6Theory Media, LLC. May 17, 2016. Retrieved May 27, 2016.
- ^ Blair, Gavin J. (May 23, 2016). "Japan Box Office: 'Zootopia' Passes $42M, Beats Previous Weekend Haul Again". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved May 27, 2016.
- Official website (in Japanese)
- The Magnificent Nine at IMDb
- 国恩記（こくおんき）の人々 - 宮城県大和町公式ホームページ(in Japanese) - Taiwa Town that appeared in the movie as Yoshioka-juku.