The King (2019 film)
The King is an upcoming film adaptation of several plays from Shakespeare's Henriad, directed by David Michôd, from a screenplay by Joel Edgerton and Michôd. It stars Timothée Chalamet, Edgerton, Robert Pattinson, Ben Mendelsohn, Sean Harris, and Thomasin McKenzie.
|Directed by||David Michôd|
|Based on||Henry IV, Part 1 |
Henry IV, Part 2
by William Shakespeare
|Edited by||Peter Sciberras|
The film is expected to be released in 2019.
Hal, a wayward prince, ascends the English Throne upon his father’s death, and must navigate the palace snake pit and inherited war and chaos.
- Timothée Chalamet as King Henry V
- Joel Edgerton as Falstaff
- Robert Pattinson as The Dauphin
- Ben Mendelsohn as King Henry IV
- Sean Harris as Michael Williams
- Lily-Rose Depp as Catherine
- Tom Glynn-Carney as Henry "Hotspur" Percy
- Thomasin McKenzie as Phillippa
- Dean-Charles Chapman as Thomas
- Edward Ashley as Cambridge
- Andrew Havill as Archbishop of Canterbury
- Ivan Kaye as Lord Scrope
- Steven Elder as Dorset
- Gergely Szűcs as Blacksmith
- Tom Lacroix as Gilrich
- Balogh Viktor as Bowman
In 2013, it was revealed that Joel Edgerton and David Michôd had collaborated on writing an adaptation of Shakespeare's plays: Henry IV, Parts 1 & 2 and Henry V, for Warner Bros. Pictures. In September 2015, it was announced that Michôd would direct the project with Warner Bros. producing and distributing the film and Lava Bear producing.
In February 2018, Timothée Chalamet joined the cast of the film, with Brad Pitt, Dede Gardner, Jeremy Kleiner producing, alongside Liz Watts, under their Plan B Entertainment banner. Netflix will distribute the film instead of Warner Bros. In March 2018, Edgerton joined the cast of the film. In May 2018, Robert Pattinson, Ben Mendelsohn, Sean Harris, Lily-Rose Depp, Tom Glynn-Carney and Thomasin McKenzie joined the cast of the film, with Dean-Charles Chapman joining in June.
- Davies, Luke (June 2013). "Joel Edgerton after Gatsby". The Monthly. Retrieved 18 May 2018.
With David Michôd he has written King, an adaptation of Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Parts I & II, and Henry V, for Warner Bros.
- Wood, Stephanie (26 July 2014). "Australian actor Joel Edgerton hits the Hollywood big time". smh.com.au. Retrieved 30 May 2018.
- Jagernauth, Kevin (3 September 2016). "Joel Edgerton Talks 'Game Of Thrones' Meets Shakespeare Project With David Michôd, 'Jane Got A Gun,' And More". Indiewire.com. Retrieved 30 May 2018.
- McClintock, Pamela (3 September 2015). "Former Universal Chairman David Linde on TIFF Bet, What He Misses About Running a Big Studio". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 30 May 2018.
- Fleming Jr, Mike (8 February 2018). "Timothee Chalamet To Play King Henry V In David Michôd Netflix Film 'The King". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 30 May 2018.
- Vlessing, Etan (22 March 2018). "Joel Edgerton Joins Timothee Chalamet in Netflix Drama 'The King'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 30 May 2018.
- Wiseman, Andreas (31 May 2018). "Robert Pattinson, Lily-Rose Depp, Among Cast Joining Timothée Chalamet In Netflix Pic 'The King', Cameras Roll This Week". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 31 May 2018.
- Wiseman, Andreas (1 June 2018). "'Game Of Thrones' Star Dean-Charles Chapman Joins Netflix Pic 'The King'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 1 June 2018.
- Vierney, Joseph (15 May 2018). "Lincoln casting call for period film". thelincolnnite.co.uk. Retrieved 30 May 2018.
- Goundry, Nick (3 May 2018). "Timothée Chalamet to film Henry V movie in Hungary". KFTV. Retrieved 30 May 2018.
- "Day 58, #thatsawrap !". Instagram.com. 24 August 2018. Retrieved 24 August 2018.
- "50 Movies We Can't Wait to See in 2019". Vulture.com. 2 January 2019. Retrieved 3 January 2019.