The Journal of Experimental Biology
The Journal of Experimental Biology is a peer-reviewed scientific journal in the field of comparative physiology and integrative biology. It is published by The Company of Biologists from editorial offices in Cambridge, United Kingdom.
|Discipline||Comparative physiology, integrative biology|
|The British Journal of Experimental Biology|
|Frequency||24 per year|
|After 6 months|
|J. Exp. Biol.|
The journal was established in Edinburgh in 1923, entitled The British Journal of Experimental Biology (Br. J. Exp. Biol.: ISSN 0366-0788). It was published by Oliver and Boyd and edited by F. A. E. Crew and an Editorial Board of nine members including Julian Huxley. However, the journal soon ran into financial trouble and was rescued in 1925 by G. P. Bidder, the founder of the Company of Biologists. Following the appointment of Sir James Gray as the journal's first Editor-in-Chief in 1925, the journal was renamed The Journal of Experimental Biology in 1929 (ISSN 0022-0949).
Since the journal's establishment in 1923, there have been seven Editors-in-Chief: Sir James Gray (1926–1955), J. A. Ramsay (1952–1974), Sir Vincent Wigglesworth (1955–1974), John Treherne (1974–1989), Charlie Ellington (1989–1994), and Bob Boutilier (1994–2003). As of 2004[update], Hans Hoppeler (Bern) is the journal's current Editor-in-Chief.
The journal has published ground-breaking work in the areas of biomechanics, skin transplantation, and neurophysiology, and has published work by Nobel Prize winners Peter Medawar and August Krogh.
The modern journalEdit
The journal currently publishes papers on a wide range of subjects ranging from biomechanics and metabolic physiology to neurophysiology and neuroethology. Besides peer-reviewed research, the journal features additional material such as "Inside JEB" providing information about some of each issue's content, "Outside JEB" discussing literature published in other journals, "JEB Classics" revisiting key papers published in the journal's past, and "Commentaries" which review topics of current interest. Issues from 1923 are available online via the journal website and HighWire Press as PDFs, with text versions available from 2000 on. Content older than 6 months is available for free and all articles are available to readers in developing countries via the Health InterNetwork Access to Research Initiative.
- Editorial Board for Volume 1, Issue 1 - Journal of Experimental Biology
- Steindór J. Erlingsson Archived 2012-08-05 at Archive.is
- Happy Anniversary JEB! - Phillips 207 (1): 1 - Journal of Experimental Biology
- The Technique of Free Skin Grafting in Mammals - Billingham and Medawar 28 (3): 385 - Journal of Experimental Biology
- The Efferent Regulation of the Muscle Spindle in the Frog - KATZ 26 (2): 201 - Journal of Experimental Biology
- JEB - Table of Contents (June 15 2008, 211 )
- JEB - Table of Contents (April 1 2008, 211 )
- JEB - Table of Contents (March 15 2008, 211 )
- JEB - Table of Contents (November 1 2007, 210 )
- Top 100 Journals in Biology and Medicine Archived 2012-04-15 at the Wayback Machine. (accessed 10 February 2011)