The Gong Show Movie
|The Gong Show Movie|
|Directed by||Chuck Barris|
|Produced by||Budd Granoff|
|Written by||Chuck Barris|
James B. Douglas
Jaye P. Morgan
|Music by||Milton DeLugg|
|Cinematography||Richard C. Glouner|
|Edited by||Jacqueline Cambas|
|Distributed by||Universal Pictures|
The film shows a fictional week in the life of Chuck Barris as the host and creator of The Gong Show, through a series of outrageous competitors, stressful situations, a nervous breakdown (which compels him to run away and hide in the desert) and other comic hijinks in his life and work on the TV show. Among the highlights included a group of men dressed as a Roman Catholic priest and three nuns lip-synching Tom Lehrer's song "The Vatican Rag", a man blowing out a candle with flatulence, and the uncensored version of Jaye P. Morgan's infamous breast-baring incident.
The film premiered in May, 1980 alongside The Empire Strikes Back and The Shining, beating the latter at the box office in its opening weekend but losing to the former. The film received uniformly negative reviews and was withdrawn from theaters shortly after its release.
The movie was occasionally seen on a few cable movie channels during the 1980s but had never been available on home video in any format until a Blu-ray release from Shout! Factory on March 29, 2016.
- "The Gong Show Movie". Box Office Mojo.
- "The Gong Show Movie". Movies & TV Dept. The New York Times. Baseline & All Movie Guide. 2015. Archived from the original on 2015-04-02.
- Jacobs, A. J. (June 11, 1999). "The Gong Show debuts". Entertainment Weekly. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- The Gong Show Movie - Blu-ray | Shout! Factory
- The Gong Show Movie at IMDb
- The Gong Show Movie at the TCM Movie Database
- The Gong Show Movie at Rotten Tomatoes