Thủ Thiêm New Urban Area
Many local residents protest against relocations.
Thủ Thiêm is situated on a point bar of the Saigon River in the municipal division known as District 2. On the opposite bank of the river are District 1—Ho Chi Minh City's central business district—District 7, and the Bình Thạnh District. It also borders District 9 of the city.
Before its clearance for redevelopment, Thủ Thiêm was one of the most densely settled areas of Ho Chi Minh City and included a central market established in 1751. Beginning in 2002 and continuing for almost a decade, between 14-15,000 households were removed from the development site and resettled.
Master planning for the site began in 1998, anticipating the completion of several bridges and tunnels that would connect District 2 to Ho Chi Minh City's central business district across the river. In 2003, Sasaki Associates won an international design competition to plan the site.
The project is being carried out in stages, and is scheduled to be completed in 15 years, depending on the investment capital. Priority is given to the infrastructure investors with favorable assistance for the city government as well as preferential taxation.
The urban area covers an area of 7 square kilometres and consists of several sections: residences, pools, parks and office sections. Almost all buildings here are to be of 10 to 40-story. Once completed, this new urban area is intended to replace District 1 as the city's center. This new urban area is connected with the existing downtown with several bridges and a 6-lane tunnel.
- "Dân oan Thủ Thiêm: Có sự dàn dựng trong buổi tiếp dân". BBC News Tiếng Việt. 2018-10-21.
- Diaz, Catherine A. (June 2002). "Temporary Upgrading: How Permanent Are the Results? A Case Study of Strategies to Improve Tenure in Ho Chi Minh City" (PDF). Master's Thesis. Massachusetts Institute of Technology. p. 42. Retrieved 24 April 2015.
- Harms, Erik. "Thủ Thiêm". New Urban Vietnam. Retrieved 25 April 2015.
- "Displaced HCM City residents relocated to new apartments". Vietnam Breaking News. Vietnam News. June 2011. Retrieved 24 April 2015.
- Harms, Erik (2013). "History of Thủ Thiêm" (PDF). New Urban Vietnam. Retrieved 24 April 2015.
- Harms, Erik (2012). "Beauty as control in the new Saigon: Eviction, new urban zones, and atomized dissent in a Southeast Asian city" (PDF). American Ethnologist. 39 (4): 735–750. doi:10.1111/j.1548-1425.2012.01392.x.
- Harms, Erik (2013). "Eviction Time in the New Saigon: Temporalities of Displacement in the Rubble of Development". Cultural Anthropology. 28 (2): 344–368. doi:10.1111/cuan.12007.
- Thủ Thiêm New Urban Project PMU official website
- Master Plan of Thủ Thiêm New Urban Area released, on Tuoi Tre daily (4 March 2006) (Vietnamese only)
- New Urban Vietnam—A National Science Foundation-sponsored study of Thủ Thiêm and other new urban developments in Vietnam
- A guide to District 2, Ho Chi Minh City – Thu Thiem New Urban Area