Tetris Effect is a tile-matching puzzle video game developed by Japanese studios Monstars and Resonair and published by Enhance Games. The game was released worldwide exclusively for the PlayStation 4 on November 9, 2018, and features support for the PlayStation VR. A Microsoft Windows version, with support for Oculus Rift and HTC Vive, released on July 23, 2019.
|Engine||Unreal Engine 4|
|Platform(s)||PlayStation 4, Microsoft Windows|
November 9, 2018
July 23, 2019
As in the original Tetris game, the player must place tetrominos into a playfield to clear complete lines. Tetris Effect adds themes and music across thirty different stages with gameplay tied to the beat of the music. A "Zone" mechanic allows players to place several blocks at once, which allows them to potentially clear out more than sixteen lines simultaneously, performing a "decahexatris". It is possible for 20 lines to be cleared at once thus accomplishing an Ultimatris. The highest possible number of lines to be cleared at once is 22, dubbed an Impossibilitris. The game also includes a meta-game leveling system that leads to new challenges for players as they progress.
Tetris Effect has been in development since 2012, and is inspired by the phenomenon of the same name, where after playing Tetris for a long period of time, players would continue to see falling Tetris blocks for some time after quitting the game. Co-producer Tetsuya Mizuguchi had wanted for many years to produce a music-based game around Tetris, but its licensing had been held by Electronic Arts, making it difficult to use. Around 2012, Mizuguchi began discussing with Henk Rogers, the founder of The Tetris Company which now owns the rights to Tetris about developing a version of Tetris set to music with a "zone" that players would achieve while playing, leading to the start of the game's development. The game is also compatible with the PlayStation VR headset. The game was released on November 9, 2018.
Upon launch day, Tetris Effect was met with highly positive reviews with many critics praising new game modes, the soundtrack, the visuals, and VR integration, with some critics calling it as a fitting love letter to Tetris. The game currently holds an 89 out of 100 on Metacritic, indicating favorable reviews from critics.
The game won the award for "Best VR/AR Game" at the 2018 Game Critics Awards. It was nominated for the same category at The Game Awards 2018, and won both the Coney Island Dreamland Award for Best Virtual Reality Game and the Tin Pan Alley Award for Best Music in a Game at the New York Game Awards; it was also nominated for "Outstanding Achievement in Original Music Composition" at the D.I.C.E. Awards, and won the awards for "Game, Puzzle" and "Original Light Mix Score, Franchise" at the National Academy of Video Game Trade Reviewers Awards, whereas its other nomination was for "Graphics, Technical". It also won the award for "Excellence in Musical Score" at the SXSW Gaming Awards, whereas its other nomination was for "Excellence in SFX"; in addition, it was nominated for "Best Audio", the "Innovation Award", and "Best VR/AR Game" at the Game Developers Choice Awards, for "Best Interactive Score" at the 2019 G.A.N.G. Awards, and for "Audio Achievement" and "Music" at the 15th British Academy Games Awards, and won the award for "Best Audio" at the Develop:Star Awards.
Eurogamer named Tetris Effect its game of the year for 2018, writing "It's a game of utter purity, a contemporary take on a timeless classic, and a genuinely inspiring and uplifting experience. It doesn't care about the zeitgeist, because it is, in itself, the history and the future of video games rolled into one. It's Tetris Effect." The game was also deemed the best game of 2018 by Giant Bomb.
Tetris Effect sold 4,372 in Japan during its first week of release.
- Orland, Kyle (June 6, 2018). "The Tetris Effect is the trippy block-stacking game we didn't know we needed". Ars Technica. Retrieved June 6, 2018.
- Massongill, Justin (June 25, 2018). "Tetris Effect Adds A New Strategic Layer to the Decades-Old Game… And it Works". PlayStation Blog. Retrieved June 25, 2018.
- Stark, Chelsea (June 15, 2018). "Tetris Effect has been in development for 6 years". Polygon. Retrieved June 15, 2018.
- Holt, Kris (September 17, 2018). "'Tetris Effect' drops a color bomb on your PS4 November 9th". Engadget. Retrieved October 1, 2018.
- Phillips, Tom (July 16, 2019). "Tetris Effect headed to PC next week via Epic Games Store". Eurogamer. Retrieved July 16, 2019.
- Hall, Charlie (July 23, 2019). "Tetris Effect for PS4 discounted, out now on PC". Polygon. Retrieved July 23, 2019.
- Webster, Andrew (November 9, 2018). "Tetris Effect is a glorious love letter to Tetris". The Verge. Retrieved November 9, 2018.
- "Tetris Effect for PlayStation 4 Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved November 9, 2018.
- Watts, Steve (July 5, 2018). "Resident Evil 2 Wins Top Honor In E3 Game Critics Awards". GameSpot. Retrieved December 8, 2018.
- Grant, Christopher (December 6, 2018). "The Game Awards 2018: Here are all the winners". Polygon. Retrieved December 8, 2018.
- Keyes, Rob (January 3, 2019). "2018 New York Game Awards Nominees Revealed". Screen Rant. Retrieved January 7, 2019.
- Meitzler, Ryan (January 23, 2019). "The New York Game Awards Reveals 2019 Winners; God of War Earns the Top Prize". DualShockers. Retrieved January 23, 2019.
- Makuch, Eddie (January 10, 2019). "God Of War, Spider-Man Lead DICE Awards; Here's All The Nominees". GameSpot. Retrieved January 11, 2019.
- "Nominee List for 2018". National Academy of Video Game Trade Reviewers. February 11, 2019. Retrieved February 14, 2019.
- "Winner list for 2018: God of War breaks record". National Academy of Video Game Trade Reviewers. March 13, 2019. Retrieved March 13, 2019.
- Trent, Logan (February 11, 2019). "Here Are Your 2019 SXSW Gaming Awards Finalists!". South by Southwest. Retrieved February 15, 2019.
- Khan, Zarmena (March 17, 2019). "God of War Takes Home 'Game of the Year' at SXSW 2019 Gaming Awards". PlayStation LifeStyle. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Good, Owen S. (January 4, 2019). "Red Dead Redemption 2 tops list of Game Developers Choice nominees". Polygon. Retrieved January 7, 2019.
- Lagumbay, Emmanuel (February 14, 2019). "2019 G.A.N.G. Awards Finalists". Game Audio Network Guild. Retrieved February 17, 2019.
- Fogel, Stefanie (March 14, 2019). "'God of War,' 'Red Dead 2' Lead BAFTA Game Awards Nominations". Variety. Retrieved March 14, 2019.
- Blake, Vikki (May 16, 2019). "Shortlist for Develop:Star Awards 2019 revealed". MCV. Retrieved June 19, 2019.
- Blake, Vikki (July 11, 2019). "Here are this year's Develop:Star Awards winners". MCV. Retrieved July 11, 2019.
- Welsh, Oli; Donlan, Christian; Robinson, Martin; Yin-Poole, Wesley (December 31, 2018). "Eurogamer's game of the year 2018 is Tetris Effect". Eurogamer. Retrieved January 3, 2019.
- Gerstmann, Jeff (December 28, 2018). "Here's What Won". Giant Bomb. Retrieved April 2, 2019.
- Romano, Sal (November 14, 2018). "Media Create Sales: 11/5/18 – 11/11/18". Gematsu. Retrieved June 18, 2019.