Tata Sky is a direct broadcast satellite television provider in India, using MPEG-4 digital compression technology, transmitting using INSAT-4A and GSAT-10 satellite. Incorporated in 2004, Tata Sky is a joint venture between the Tata Group, and 21st Century Fox.
|Industry||Satellite Television And Mobile TV|
|Founded||August 10, 2006|
|Harit Nagpal (MD and CEO)|
|Products||Direct broadcast satellite, pay television, pay-per-view|
|Owner||Tata Sons (60%)
21st Century Fox (30%)
(sale to The Walt Disney Company pending)
Temasek Holdings (10%)
Number of employees
|100,000 ( Approximately)|
Tata Sky is an equity strategic alliance in the nature of a joint venture between the Tata Group and 21st Century Fox, which own 70% and 20% stake respectively. In 2008, Singapore-based Temasek Holdings picked up 10% stake in Tata Sky from the Tata Group. Tata Sky was incorporated in 2001, but launched services on 8 August 2006.
STAR’s parent company, 21st Century Fox, owns an international group of DTH businesses that include Sky Italia in Italy and Sky UK in United Kingdom. The company uses the Sky brand owned by British Sky Broadcasting.
This section does not cite any sources. (October 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Tata Sky was the second operator to launch DTH or direct-to-home services in 2006. At that time, the company decided to use an ISRO satellite. In 2005, Tata Sky signed a contract with ISRO for provision of satellite space on the INSAT-4A satellite. In 2007, one year after the launch of the DTH player, Tata Sky asked for more space to increase the number of channels they telecast. The extra space was promised in 2009 on the GSAT-10 satellite, a then to be launched satellite inducted into the INSAT system. The GSAT-10 was launched in September 2012, Tata Sky has started utilizing those transponders in March 2015.
Awards and accoladesEdit
In March 2009, Tata Sky became the first Indian DTH service provider to be awarded the ISO 27001: 2005 accreditation, the benchmark for information security. ISO 27001:2005 is an international standard that provides specifications and guidance for the establishment and proper maintenance of an Information Security Management System (ISMS).
|2013||Yahoo Big Idea Chair Award||Best use of Mobile Advertising|
|2013||ET Brand Equity||Product of the Year – Tata Sky + HD|
|2012||ET Brand Equity||Best DTH brand|
- R. Ravikumar (2013-08-14). "Tata Sky to invest Rs 1,000 cr for tech upgrade | Business Line". Thehindubusinessline.com. Retrieved 2016-10-28.
- "Tata Sky on Insat 4A". LyngSat. Archived from the original on 9 August 2008. Retrieved 10 August 2008.
- By PTI (2014-07-04). "TataSky to start 4K ultra HD beaming from next year - The Economic Times". Economictimes.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2016-10-28.
- "Tata Sky - Tata companies - Tata group". Tata.com. Retrieved 2016-10-28.
- "TataSky to offer all channels and services free to all active users for 2 weeks on account of 10th Anniversary celebrations". Telecomtalk.info. 2016-08-05. Retrieved 2016-10-28.
- "About Tata Sky DTH (India), its DTH services, DTH channels & DTH packages on offer". Tatasky.com. Retrieved 2016-10-28.
- "Video On Demand". 2012.
- "TataSky launches country's first 4K set-top box". The Hindu. 2015-01-10. Retrieved 2016-10-28.
- Sun, 11 Jan 2015-08:47pm , Mumbai , PTI (2015-01-11). "Tata Sky launches India's first 4K set-top box with UHD capability | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis". Dnaindia.com. Retrieved 2016-10-28.
- "Tata Sky launches 4K UHD set-top in India, will cost Rs 6400 for new users – Tech2". Tech.firstpost.com. 2015-01-12. Retrieved 2016-10-28.
- "Tata Sky gets ISO 27001:2005 - BUSINESS". The Hindu. 2009-03-21. Retrieved 2016-10-28.
- "IBS wins Yahoo Big Idea Chair 2013 | Advertising | Campaign India". Campaignindia.in. Retrieved 2016-10-28.